Author Topic: Old Man ...  (Read 1458 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Old Man ...
« on: July 10, 2008, 07:31:17 AM »
.. look at me now ...

I saw Herr Young (Neil Y. to be exact) in Oberhausen (a six thousand seater hall he had sold out) yesterday. A first time for me. 5 to 6 hour drive both ways, but it was worth it. He sure is old, but he doesn't lack passion and his voice sounds as it always did, cutting through the sonic melée at any given time with ease.

I marvel at his ability to still play guitar with the rawness and childlike wonder of someone who just picked that instrument up a year ago. He is constantly soloing, bum notes, risque timing and missed strings and all, in the electric part of his two hour set which has all the songs stretch out endlessly. But he makes you watch him because he is taking chances and his playing has Jack White of the White Stripes sound polished in comparison.

The contrast between his raw electric guitar playing (he plays it like Bob Dylan plays harp  :-\ , while Young's own harp playing is very accurate) and his disciplined acoustic guitar and organ playing, his pitch-perfect singing and the smooth harmonies of his (competent if nothing else) backing band really struck me.

And I admire his guts for playing Lennon's "A day in the life" as the (solitary but wholly satisfying) encore. He pulled that song (which is rarely played by anyone) off with all the grandeur it deserves ("Got up, got out of bed ..." part and the grand finale included). And as he stood there at the end, his guitar unstrapped, shaking and knocking it about wildly for feedback and general mayhem while at the same singing the fading vocal lines of "A day in the life" sweetly into the microphone, I couldn't help but think that I was watching the last of a dying breed and that Herr Lennon would have been touched and proud.

Uwe
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Re: Old Man ...
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 09:01:52 AM »
Cool! Very nice review. I haven't seen him live yet, but today I played Ordinary People of Chrome Dreams II three times in row in my car. That means one hour the same song!

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 12:58:05 PM »
I am always stunned by his power and passion...not sure if he could pull it off if he wasn't able to convey that passion in his playing.  His voice is kind of an either you love it or hate it thing---I have grown to love it, but it took years...thanks for the review.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 01:12:15 PM »
I take it this was a non-smoking venue.  Young has a reputation of being as picky about things as Robert Fripp.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 03:00:51 AM »
It was non-smoking, not that that kept the crowd around us from still doing it, but thank God it wasn't pure tobacco!

Some stuff from the concert has already been posted on youtube. A day in the life:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3FsSpC_DiI&feature=related

The old chestnut:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zey6GSoHSuY&feature=related
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 04:30:59 AM by uwe »

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 04:53:54 AM »
I'm surprised that Young didn't pull the plug and walk off.  He nearly did that in a Chicago show almost a decade ago when someone lit up at one of his shows.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 05:03:19 AM »
I remember my first old man concert, it was Jeff Beck about 5 years ago. I went with my wife (her last concert) and 90% of the people were male and from 30-50's all dressed up like bikers & teenagers. After the show it was funny watching them all get in there $50,000 SUV's and drive off.

My wife was so embarrassed she vowed to never go to another Old Man concert. She was embarrassed for the people there and for herself being there. The last concert we to since then was Puffi Ami Yumi which as a great a show as I have seen (amazing band), the audience being parents & daughters.

Was an amazing show though, when Jeff had Jennifer Batton on board.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 05:11:24 AM »
"90% of the people were male ..."

and 80 % guitarists!

What else did you expect at a Jeff Beck concert? I marvel how you got your wife there in the first place! By promising unplugged versions of "People get ready" and "Hi ho silver lining" with Rod Stewart guesting?  :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 05:56:33 AM »
My girlfriend loves Neil Young. But she's a guitarist..

Thans for posting the vids. I like the Beatle song. Some people sing along immediately before surprisingly discovering what they're singing:)

I love Neil Young, his songs and I really enjoyed reading 'Shakey'. Great insights about his disabled son, his passion for model trains and actually designing light and sound systems for them!

I believe his Fender amps are so hot rodded he needs extra fans behind them all the time. And the black LP with P90 and Firebird-pick up is awesome too.

Sorry, I always get over enthousiast talking about Neil:)

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 06:06:13 AM »
Yep, I'm a fan too. Great review Uwe. I love that raw LP stuff he does. Anyone heard the sound track to the Johnny Depp movie Deadman?
Digresion our specialty!