Author Topic: '65-'66 Hofner neck reset  (Read 12849 times)

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
Re: '65-'66 Hofner neck reset
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2014, 07:53:28 AM »
As Bill said, I'm thinking that some judicious progressive-grit sanding and polishing will fix it up.

I disagree (big surprise, right?).  The correct procedure would have been a drop fill after the reset.  It might still be the way after carefully chipping out the poor initial job by the repairman.  I hesitate to call him a luthier after that botched attempt.

I do understand about not saying anything, Scott.  You realize the job is so far from being correct that nothing you could say would be helpful.  Look forward to seeing how you approach it!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2014, 11:07:31 AM »
 That is my plan to drop fill it then level it out. I'm in no hurry going to think on it a bit. The neck was in there tight I certainly expected some touch up, the old axiom you have to break a few eggs to make a omelet applies.  I tried to get it apart and couldn't............there isn't much I can't get apart. I'm still kinda bumming 300 bucks is a lot of dough not to be satisfied.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2014, 11:23:58 AM »
That is my plan to drop fill it then level it out. I'm in no hurry going to think on it a bit. The neck was in there tight I certainly expected some touch up, the old axiom you have to break a few eggs to make a omelet applies.  I tried to get it apart and couldn't............there isn't much I can't get apart. I'm still kinda bumming 300 bucks is a lot of dough not to be satisfied.

Live and learn!  Probably would have been better to take it to a violin guy as copacetic said.  It's not unusual to score the lacquer at the neck/body lines as the first step of neck removal to minimize chipping.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2014, 12:22:00 PM »
 That's the first thing I did when I attempted to get it apart was to score the joint.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2014, 02:35:19 PM »
Yeah, I'd be disappointed too.  $300 isn't chump change.  You could take it back to him, it's not an unreasonable thing to do in this case.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2014, 03:08:49 PM »
  I could take it back and I sure thought about it. I am afraid I'll end up with a bigger mess.

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2014, 04:28:03 PM »
  I could take it back and I sure thought about it. I am afraid I'll end up with a bigger mess.

That's kind of what I was thinking.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2014, 04:52:29 PM »
Well, if he couldn't do any better, you'd think he'd know someone who could.  I thought he had a partner there in the shop.  Anyway, he owes you IMHO.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2014, 10:54:05 AM »
  I have been thinking about this for a couple of weeks now. I called Bernie and expressed my disappointment in the touch up work and he said to bring it in. As I said before I am worried he will just make it worse. I am on the fence if I should take it in or just deal with it myself.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2014, 12:30:09 PM »
If it came home that way, why should you expect a second go-around to be any different? That neck finish wasn't a mistake; it was pure sloppiness. Fix it yourself.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2014, 12:39:27 PM »
 Yeah I suppose your right.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2014, 01:46:03 PM »
I agree with Andrew.  Then, when you're done, take it back to the guy.  Maybe he'll subcontract you for his finish work.

I'd like to know how much of your $300+ went toward that touchup. ;D

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2014, 07:10:37 AM »
Fix it yourself, write up a bill, take it down to Bernie and ask him to reimburse you.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2014, 08:15:22 AM »
  Seriously this is why I try to do my own work. Given his reputation I never expected this sort of result. I'll fix it myself and take my lumps. I haven't got the time or inclination to go beat up on Bernie for 50-100 bucks.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2014, 08:20:20 AM »
OK, mail him the bill with a picture of the repair!   :P