Author Topic: '65-'66 Hofner neck reset  (Read 12856 times)

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
Re: '65-'66 Hofner neck reset
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2014, 08:29:33 PM »
  Huh? I am more than perplexed by this and I'm not doubting yours or Hofners wisdom but why would you use a glue that will possibly fail? Why not use something that won't make neck resets necessary?  I knew Hofner used hide glue in the past but i am shocked they use it still. My head is reeling  :o

Because of the nature of hollow bodied instruments they will eventually need a neck reset.  It's basically maintenance and has nothing to do with the glue failing if the joint was properly cut.  The tension of the strings eventually deforms the wood changing the neck angle.

http://guitarless.com/2010/07/why-does-my-acoustic-need-a-neck-reset/

I'm sure there's a lot more info on other sites.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2014, 12:06:31 AM »
Hide glue, if you use it correctly, is very strong.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2014, 07:46:11 AM »
   I got the bass back yesterday and I am quite pleased, Bernie did his research and did use hide glue. With the neck at the proper angle it feels and sounds great! It wasn't cheap in the end it cost me $313.00 and change  :o I'm glad I had it done it needed doing for a very long time. If I could have gotten it apart I could have done it myself. My only complaint is that the touch up work is a little crude............ I can fix that no problem. Unlike me not to complain but Bernie was such a nice guy and so proud of his work I didn't have the heart. Pictures later today.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2014, 08:14:55 AM »
I've chatted with Bernie a couple times while in his shop and he mentioned that he loves building but isn't crazy about finishing things as it's not a strength of his.  We all have our gifts!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2014, 08:27:20 AM »
Pictures.  :)
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2014, 08:31:47 AM »
Sorry about the top picture I rotated it but it still copies upside down. Huh? It fixed itself.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 09:20:36 AM by godofthunder »

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2014, 09:51:18 AM »

Well, that particular shot does look like the glue was applied with a caulking gun.  But...I imagine it won't be hard to clean up.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2014, 10:21:13 AM »
  Thats not glue that's a touch up where some finish had chipped.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2014, 10:28:00 AM »
  Thats not glue that's a touch up where some finish had chipped.

EEK!!  But if you have the finishing skills of Dr. Bassman, I predict a very pleasing outcome.  That looks like something you can fix.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2014, 10:32:13 AM »
 Like I said I was a bit surprised how amateurish the touch up is but i couldn't bring myself to bitch mainly because I can do a much better job myself. Not like me at all, I must be mellowing in my old age....................not sure how I feel about that.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 11:51:34 AM by godofthunder »

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2014, 11:41:01 AM »
A little sanding would help for starters!  I'm sure you'll fix her up as good as new.  The reset looks great.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

copacetic

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2014, 12:20:51 PM »
That is a little shocking and know you are probably a little perplexed? Will require a little refining in that area. Some years ago when I had my 500/5 neck reset (with hide glue of course) the guitar luthier told me that it was a job better suited forma violin/ cello/ bass maker/ luthier for exactly the reasons mentioned and pictured. As you know Hofner redesigned their neck bass & pocket in the mid 90's.  Some are still holding up since the 60's but only a matter of time. You might look up a local violin/ bass luthier for the slight refin. Good luck, at least it still has that lovely Hofner sound and feel!

hollowbody

• Been working in the Kremlin with a two headed dog.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2014, 01:09:36 PM »
I'm glad to hear that you had it done with hide glue. That picture of the heel is exactly why I wouldn't do a neck reset on any guitars other than my own. It's a tricky job and there's always a bit of touchup to be done no matter how careful you are.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2014, 06:03:02 PM »
I don't think the price is unreasonable for a neck reset but it's shocking that he would allow it to leave his shop looking like that.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2014, 07:38:16 AM »
As Bill said, I'm thinking that some judicious progressive-grit sanding and polishing will fix it up.