Author Topic: '65-'66 Hofner neck reset  (Read 12854 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
'65-'66 Hofner neck reset
« on: February 12, 2014, 08:17:07 PM »
 I have owned my '65-'66 Hofner 500/1 since 1972. It left my possession for about 9 years but I was able to buy it back in '86. When I bought it way back in '72 I didn't notice the neck had been poorly reset and is off about 3 degrees, angled toward the body. I had been hoping that time would loosen up the neck and I could take care of it myself but it is stubbornly steadfast. Today I took the bass into Bernie Lehman a well renowned local luthier and I hope to have the bass back as good as new in about ten days. I am very excited to have this put right, I'll keep you posted.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: '65-'66 Hofner neck reset
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 07:10:56 AM »
Cool. Bernie's a great guy, it should come out fantastic!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 07:59:29 AM »
 He is a super guy, took lots of time with me and the bass, showed me around his shop, what a cool space! He has a excellent reputation in Rochester defiantly the go to guy. In all these years I have never had the need to have him do anything. it was fun chating  with a craftsman of like mind.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 08:08:36 AM »
I had him do a couple fret jobs on basses I couldn't get to cooperate.  Great work and really nice guy.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 11:00:30 AM »
Make sure he uses hide glue. These neck joints are like violin family neck joints.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 11:11:34 AM »
 I'll ask what he is going to use but I believe hide glue is a big contributing factor with early Hofner neck joint failures. I think a modern glue like Franklin's Tite Bond is a much better choice.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 12:03:14 PM »
That's cool it'll be back in action.

Always wanted one of these.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 01:59:24 PM »
I'll ask what he is going to use but I believe hide glue is a big contributing factor with early Hofner neck joint failures. I think a modern glue like Franklin's Tite Bond is a much better choice.

Hide glue is what enables the neck reset. You warm it up and it melts and the neck is off the bass, clean and simple. Then the planes are smoothed and the angle determined, and then it's re-glued.

Using Tite Bond is like using super-glue instead of the 4 bolts in a Fender: it will hold, but you will never detach the neck again without major surgery.

Hofner glued-in necks were designed to be held in place with hide glue. And yes, they may need a neck reset every decade or two, just like Fenders need shimming once in a while. I've seen the damage done when other glues are used in Hofner neck joints. It's a lot of work when it's time for the next neck reset. It's still doable, but costs more to repair.

Hide glue isn't weaker than other glues. It just melts easily when warm, to allow easy and clean neck removal. Hide glue is what holds upright bass necks in place, and the string pull there is more than double the pull on a bass guitar.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 02:07:29 PM »
Hide glue is what enables the neck reset. You warm it up and it melts and the neck is off the bass, clean and simple. Then the planes are smoothed and the angle determined, and then it's re-glued.

Using Tite Bond is like using super-glue instead of the 4 bolts in a Fender: it will hold, but you will never detach the neck again without major surgery.

Hofner glued-in necks were designed to be held in place with hide glue. And yes, they may need a neck reset every decade or two, just like Fenders need shimming once in a while. I've seen the damage done when other glues are used in Hofner neck joints. It's a lot of work when it's time for the next neck reset. It's still doable, but costs more to repair.

Hide glue isn't weaker than other glues. It just melts easily when warm, to allow easy and clean neck removal. Hide glue is what holds upright bass necks in place, and the string pull there is more than double the pull on a bass guitar.

I agree with everything you say Ilan.  The problem is finding a luthier who is proficient in the use of hide glue and uses it regularly.  IMO there's no need to change something that has worked perfectly when used by a qualified tech for over 300 years.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2014, 02:19:18 PM »
The problem is finding a luthier who is proficient in the use of hide glue and uses it regularly.
Any violin maker will do it, and you can be very specific about the required neck angle.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2014, 02:34:10 PM »
Does Hofner still use hide glue?

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2014, 02:46:23 PM »
Does Hofner still use hide glue?

Good question.  I'd bet they do.  Just guessing!  :P

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2014, 02:51:49 PM »
Check this out at around 12:35 on the video.  Looks like hide glue!

http://bassoutpost.com/index.php?topic=6511.msg104224#msg104224

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2014, 02:53:10 PM »
You beat me to it by seconds! I was about to post the same video and same time code!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCOycca1ezo&t=12m33s

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2014, 08:14:03 PM »
  Huh? I am more than perplexed by this and I'm not doubting yours or Hofners wisdom but why would you use a glue that will possibly fail? Why not use something that won't make neck resets necessary?  I knew Hofner used hide glue in the past but i am shocked they use it still. My head is reeling  :o