Author Topic: Hagström Super Swede RI  (Read 1820 times)

doombass

• View Profile
Hagström Super Swede RI
« on: January 29, 2014, 02:54:01 PM »
Presented at NAMM though from what I understand the show specimens got stuck in customs. Made in the Czech Republic. Swedish Lundgren Pickups. Price seems to be set at 19950 SEK in Sweden (3100$). I'd expect the price will be a bit less in the U.S though.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Hagström Super Swede RI
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 05:00:20 PM »
Nice looking. Doesn't look too boutique. It would be nice to see something other than yet another set of J-type pickups though.

Hörnisse

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 06:03:57 PM »
Originally designed by Rutger Gunnarsson.  The original examples are very pricey.  I would be interested in one for sure.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 12:45:21 AM »
... yet another set of J-type pickups though.

If it works... the problem is what shape do you use that would be "new" and acceptable... soap-bar, humbucker, P, MM are common but when some have gone radical the criticism has often been deserved...

I'm curious about the "through-ness" of the neck...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 12:53:35 AM »
I like the looks of those, but that price is going to put them up in Fender Custom Shop/Lakland territory and a pair of Jazz Bass pickups just isn't going to cut it unless those pickups have a sound that is nothing like their looks. Bach with Artec has demonstrated that new pickup designs on mass produced basses aren't the teeth pulling experience that most bass manufacturers seem to think they are. I'm thinking something like a better version of the Artec Mudbucker and a mini-bucker in the bridge would really set it apart and help it sell. Take away the headstock and visually, it's just another high-priced Jazz Bass copy. Hagstroms were famous for their funky pickups, most of which didn't really sound that good anyway (at least among the vintage Hagstroms I've played) so there are in a unique position to use this bass as vehicle to bring something like that back, but in an improved form.

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 01:10:11 AM »
The price of these reissues are actually lower than what the originals usually is here in Sweden. They have been sought after since they're relatively seldom up for sale. I think only 360 -something were ever made. The initial black pickup equipped ones are held as weaker sounding but some prefer the looks. The later which Hagström fitted with white DiMarzios are of course generally considered the opposite from what I've seen. Prices are usually pretty much the same all over no matter what fin or pickups.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 11:35:14 AM »
If it works... the problem is what shape do you use that would be "new" and acceptable... soap-bar, humbucker, P, MM are common but when some have gone radical the criticism has often been deserved...

I'm curious about the "through-ness" of the neck...?

The originals were J-type, so you can't fault them for going back there. But the three decades since have seen a flood of expensive basses with J pickups. And that form limits you to one type of sound. What's to distinguish this from other boutique-priced basses? Just the styling. I don't know if that will be enough.

IMHO a larger pickup form, like a soapbar, allows a little more freedom of design.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 02:11:47 PM »
IMHO a larger pickup form, like a soapbar, allows a little more freedom of design.

True but there are stacked jazz humbuckers and split coils fitted into the same Jazz form factor these days.

And here's some heresy:  I've been persuaded by the very high quality preamps in the two Statii I've worked on (and the spare pre I'm messing with) that active can be a good thing sometimes.

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2014, 02:14:25 PM »
i thought the "Super Swede" was a kinda Les Paul shape?
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 03:33:40 PM »
i thought the "Super Swede" was a kinda Les Paul shape?

That's the not so Super one.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2014, 04:30:08 PM »
True but there are stacked jazz humbuckers and split coils fitted into the same Jazz form factor these days.

And here's some heresy:  I've been persuaded by the very high quality preamps in the two Statii I've worked on (and the spare pre I'm messing with) that active can be a good thing sometimes.

They still sound like Jazz pickups to me. Not vintage ones, but still... the coil shape and height has a lot to do with it, and the physical size limits what you can vary.

Nothing heretical about an active preamp. It works in some situations.