Author Topic: Flats on a 4003  (Read 3133 times)

copacetic

• View Profile
Flats on a 4003
« on: January 30, 2014, 12:59:14 PM »
I'm in the serious final stages of acquiring a new 4003. However I do not want to use the RW's it comes with. I want to use flats. I have seen some serious issues mentioned about Rickenbacker necks with regards to tension, breaking etc. with higher tension strings. Now I am assuming these refer to pre 90's 4003/1 series from what I can gather. I want to make sure though. It seems Rickenbacker might have addressed this issue since then. I really am happy with the DR Vintage flats which is a relatively new string in their line and am using them on most of my Long Scale basses. I would ho with these first before the GHS, Roto flats. Any body using flats on their's ?

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Flats on a 4003
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 04:34:30 PM »
As long as it's a post-84/85 4003, it will have the modern rods and will be all right with just about any string. I haven't had a Rick in a few years but I used 49-109 LaBella Deep Talkin' Bass Flats on one of mine.

Flats were always okay if they were low enough tension. The old 4001 came with flats standard. Many of the old neck problems came from guys putting heavier gauge rounds on them.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 08:45:05 PM »
I ran GHS Precision Flats on my '78 4001 for several years, but came to the realization that I'm not a flats guy and went back to rounds.  No troubles with the bass in that time, but I'm sure that could vary by specimen. 

I should probably pay more attention to specs than I do, but I tend to just use the strings that I'm into at any given time (EXL-170s for the past decade or so).  I figure the bass will gradually show signs if for some reason it couldn't cope... at which point I'd make a change if needed.

Paul Boyer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 10:01:38 PM »
I put Tomastik Infield (TI) Jazz Flats on several of my Ricks and love 'em. They are floppier than most, but once you get used to the lower tension, they sound great and last forever. They cost a lot, but you won't have to change them as often as others.

Author
"The Rickenbacker Electric Bass - 50 Years as Rock's Bottom"

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 03:09:23 AM »
I put Tomastik Infield (TI) Jazz Flats on several of my Ricks and love 'em. They are floppier than most, but once you get used to the lower tension, they sound great and last forever. They cost a lot, but you won't have to change them as often as others.

I agree. I have TI´s that will outlast me for sure :)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 08:06:29 AM »
I don't like TIs at all but they're definitely not a problem on a Rick or anything else due to their low tension.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 09:39:22 AM »
If it's a 4003 with the truss rod adjustment at the headstock, you've got nothing to worry about. I love TI flats, but the price has gone through the roof! I usually don't like D'Addario, but I tried a set of their flats and they're fine.

copacetic

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 11:56:09 AM »
Thanks. I've tried TI's on all of my basses short and long scale, solid and hollow and on some I liked the way they sound and felt and on others nada. However as the Rick 4003 is new to me and your kudos for them on this one, I'll definitly give them a try. I know that will require a neck adjustment. Yes, I checked the prices and wow! they have jumped up another $15-20 since I last bought them Some 5 years ago. WWT!?