Author Topic: Monster Fender rig - 400 PS  (Read 18799 times)

Tim Brosnan

• View Profile
Re: Monster Fender rig - 400 PS
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2014, 08:01:00 PM »
I generally like Fender basses and amps, but sometimes they do goofy things, especially when it comes to amps. Maybe if this amp appeared 5 to 10 years before the SVT, it might have seemed like a good idea. But by 1969, you had the SVT, Acoustic 360, Marshall, and Sunn amps. Stages were getting bigger, music was getting louder, and bassists needed to be heard. It almost seems like Fender came up with a good concept, then stacked the deck against it so that it couldn't succeed like the aforementioned amps.

I think it's similar to the Studio bass. They built a nice 200W tube amp into a very large, thin, and top heavy combo. Now, if was never meant to leave home and /or your studio, it wouldn't be a big deal. But Fender's advertisements at the time said you could take this amp to stage or studio, so you could always get your sound no matter where you were playing. I haven't even seen a Studio bass amp in over 30 years, but I remember it being a big, HEAVY amp to move. I notice a lot of people who get them build them into a head format, to make it easier to move. Couldn't Fender have at least offered a head and speaker option when it was new? I think they could have really made a mark at that time with that amp if they did that.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2014, 09:38:29 AM »

Never heard of these. Looks good on paper. Would look better a a head and a cab!

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2014, 10:56:41 AM »

Never heard of these. Looks good on paper. Would look better a a head and a cab!

It's the Super Twin, which ironically DID come as a standalone head, without reverb in a combo. The preamp tone stack is a little different, but not much. The Super Twin sounds likes crap for guitar but makes a nice bass amp.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2014, 05:36:33 AM »
Not a whole lot of Studio Bass amps around. Best sounding bass amp that Fender ever made and heavy as a tank.
Rick

Iome

• Born to rock..forced to work
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2014, 06:23:53 AM »
I have had a Studiobass for several years, nice amp with tube driven eq. Didn't have as much volume as you would think (my Bassman 100 was loudere) but very nice sounding. The lack of volume was probably caused by the pour room in the speaker cab.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2014, 08:06:28 PM »
Great thread. I would be really curious to hear the 400 with some decent cabinets. I wonder what cabs would be a good match for it (aside from the folded horn things... I'm dubious about those).
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2014, 01:56:27 PM »
I ran mine with three Bag End 2x12 subwoofer cabinets in a homemade SVT cab kinda way. It worked REALLY well.

fealach

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2014, 04:08:57 PM »
Great thread. I would be really curious to hear the 400 with some decent cabinets. I wonder what cabs would be a good match for it (aside from the folded horn things... I'm dubious about those).

After reading years ago what cabinets Psycho Bass Guy used with his, I picked some up for mine.  Was only able to find 2 used, I couldn't afford to buy them new.  I've used them with a Carvin 10.2 NEO.  Sounds good to me and to the people that have heard it, or so they tell me.  At practice, I use a Sunn 415M instead of the Carvin.  I use the Carvin at home, while the practice space is the only place I have room for the Sunn.  I like it better with the Carvin.  I also like being able to fit the whole thing in the car. 

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2014, 01:07:41 AM »
That's the best use of a piano bench I've ever seen and if I ever get mine back, I'm using that the next time I have to play with a piano player with bad time (which is most of them).

"Sorry sweetie, you're going to have to stand like the rest of us working folks. Maybe then you'll pay attention to rhythm enough to keep time, and if you can't, I'll turn up."

It is possible to run three SVT cabinets simultaneously off the 400PS. I never tried that. Once life settles down for me, I'm chasing my amp and doing all that stuff..

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2014, 02:05:53 AM »

Cool. I never thought of using cannabis as a stage backdrop before, good idea :mrgreen:

fealach

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2014, 07:47:21 AM »
Sadly, it was some other variety of weed.  Good thing it was there though, cushioned the impact when the drummer knocked his mic off the stage. 

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2014, 12:44:17 PM »
One man's weed is another man's psychotic episode...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2014, 08:23:49 AM »
I had a Studio Bass several years back. It was everything said about it here, and truly underwhelming. PBG - your account of your PS400's whereabouts got me thinking - there is probably only ONE place in NJ that someone would send a 400PS for service. Is that where yours got to?
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2014, 10:30:15 PM »
Yep. And it was delivered by a friend, not shipped, confirmed received, and work supposedly started. I had good contact for about a month, then my phonecalls stopped being answered or returned. I waited a few weeks and tried again,and found out that there had been some emergency circumstances and work would be resuming, then contact stopped again. My health took a major turn for the worse about the same time, so I just let it ride.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2014, 11:42:39 AM »
Yep. And it was delivered by a friend, not shipped, confirmed received, and work supposedly started. I had good contact for about a month, then my phonecalls stopped being answered or returned. I waited a few weeks and tried again,and found out that there had been some emergency circumstances and work would be resuming, then contact stopped again. My health took a major turn for the worse about the same time, so I just let it ride.

If you get to the point where you just need too get the amp out of there, and your regular contact is not available, just let me know. That shop is about 1/2 hour - 45 minutes from me.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter