Author Topic: double bass  (Read 3338 times)

amptech

• View Profile
double bass
« on: January 12, 2014, 11:27:03 AM »
Went to see Hawkwind yesterday didn´t know they were still touring! Havent looked either, but I do like the early to mid 70´s period. Nice bass content to, for most of the show they used two basses , a P and a T bird. Sounded nice together.
Surprised me too that a Dano 6 string bass was used on some songs.

Good show, fantastic sound and visual effects as well, thumbs up for hawk!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: double bass
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 12:00:34 PM »
Last saw them on the tour after Lemmy formed Motorhead - Paul Rudolph played bass for half the show, then Brock took over... Calvert was on form...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

4stringer77

• View Profile
No bass
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 07:44:54 AM »
I was hoping for any bass at the Marc Cohn show I saw. The new gf is a big fan. Walking in Memphis was his biggest hit. Nothing but piano, keyboard and guitar all night. Adding insult to injury, one of the songs he played was called Silver Thunderbird. He also covered the Simon and Garfunkel song, The only living boy in New York, which has such great bass playing on the album by Joe Osborn.
I hate to admit it, but the set sounded great. Even though there was never any bass guitar, I would gladly sit through the same type of show again rather than have to suffer through a show of her other favorite group. DMB
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 02:32:41 PM »
Forgot to mention the opening act was Rebecca Pigeon, the wife of David Mamet. He wrote the screenplay for The Untouchables and also wrote and directed the Phil Spector movie. We missed her set because it took a while to drive through the snow storm. She did come out and sing with the headliner for a couple tunes and had a nice voice too.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 10:53:29 AM by 4stringer77 »

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 12:15:54 PM »
You can shred on a double bass as well

...at least, Paul Gilbert can :mrgreen:

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 01:16:49 PM »
Funny. Reminds me of the bass at 1:15

westen44

• View Profile
Re: No bass
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 01:15:48 AM »
I was hoping for any bass at the Marc Cohn show I saw. The new gf is a big fan. Walking in Memphis was his biggest hit. Nothing but piano, keyboard and guitar all night. Adding insult to injury, one of the songs he played was called Silver Thunderbird. He also covered the Simon and Garfunkel song, The only living boy in New York, which has such great bass playing on the album by Joe Osborn.
I hate to admit it, but the set sounded great. Even though there was never any bass guitar, I would gladly sit through the same type of show again rather than have to suffer through a show of her other favorite group. DMB

Ouch.  I'm not sure if I can think of anyone on earth I'd rather listen to less than the DMB. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal