Author Topic: Let's welcome the low watt guitar amp movement!  (Read 5763 times)

Happy Face

• View Profile
Let's welcome the low watt guitar amp movement!
« on: January 03, 2014, 06:37:03 PM »
For some reason I received a Musician’s Friend catalog today. Must be because I bought something at Guitar Center? Anyway, I was thumbing though it while dinner baked and was pleasantly amazed by the number of 15 to 20 watt boutique guitar amps listed.

It fitted in with my own experience: Our killer rhythm guitarist just bought himself a Vox AC-15 and I must say, it sounds mighty nice. As he said, we’re either playing at a club with sound or we bring our own PA, which has at least 5000 watts available. He’ll get himself heard one way or another. Being that we are a harmony-heavy band, keeping stage volume somewhat controlled is a good thing.

Looking at that catalog and of Sam’s new AC-15 got me thinking back to high school days in the mid to late sixties. I semi-fondly recall playing in bands where the lead guitarist had a Twin Reverb. Or make that two Showmans with cabs. Or best of all, two Super-Reverbs stacked on top of each other, cranked up loud so they’d break up.

As a bass player with a humble white Bassman and then a Guild amp with a 2x15”cab, then a Traynor, it was a real chore to even be heard. The endless wars encouraged me and my main rival bass player to lend each other our amps so we could each use two amps to try and keep up with our guitarists. It also made us open to welcoming higher powered solid state amps, even if they did not sound all that great.  It also influenced my technique to this day – I still yank on the strings too hard rather than employing a light touch.

Circling back to today, I called an old friend who knew me back then. He only took up bass in recent years but now kicks ass. I mentioned the MF catalog and teased him about his GAS problem. But then I wandered over to the topic above and he told me how his band, which has been actively gigging recently, had been forced to part ways with a really good guitarist. I’d heard him play = he was really good and is a fine singer. Plus I liked him as a person. But he was getting too loud at the kind of venues they play at. His amp? A Twin Reverb. I asked “Why doesn’t be just trade down to a Pro?” But I guess the guy is set in his ways.

A long story short = aint it nice that our gitards are finally figuring out that a lower power amp can be a better stage amp? I say “can be” because, if we are playing at an outdoor venue, I totally want and demand that our guitarists wheel out some serious amplitude. How else can I justify bringing out one of my big rigs? I do miss having my pants flapping in the breeze!   

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Let's welcome the low watt guitar amp movement!
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 10:36:47 PM »
I've noticed it too, it's a real world trend, not just in the catalogs. Not sure of the reason other than the realization that many low watt amps are plenty enough for a lot of indoor gigs and many sound better too. OTOH there's no shortage of guys who will never give up their insanely loud amps.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 08:45:51 AM »
I've noticed it too, it's a real world trend, not just in the catalogs. Not sure of the reason other than the realization that many low watt amps are plenty enough for a lot of indoor gigs and many sound better too. OTOH there's no shortage of guys who will never give up their insanely loud amps.

The hearing issues plague the jams at my house. All but my lead guitarist are suffering off and on from tinnitus. Smaller amps would probably do the trick , of course so would turning the volume control to the left. That turning down thing is so much more difficult than it sounds though ???. If I ever get that time machine of mine working right , I'm going back to the mid 60s and buying a couple Fender Deluxes or Princetons, a Bassman or B-15 and a Shure Vocal Master PA and do it the old way ;D. While I'm there I may just pick up a pair of Beatle boots too. Anybody else need anything?

Rick

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 08:53:12 AM »
low watt boutique amps have been available for some years now. you would be startled how loud 7 watts can  be. very expensive, though.

http://www.emerysound.com/Superbaby.htmlhttp://www.emerysound.com/Superbaby.html
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 08:58:51 AM by nofi »
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 09:00:15 AM »
I agree this is a good thing. Nice to get those power tubes cookin without knocking the walls down! (Says the guy who ran an SVT through 2 tens and 3 fifteens at his last show)

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 09:25:51 AM »
low watt boutique amps have been available for some years now. you would be startled how loud 7 watts can  be. very expensive, though.

http://www.emerysound.com/Superbaby.htmlhttp://www.emerysound.com/Superbaby.html

Carr Amps makes some really great stuff too. My guitar player has got one or two of them in the 14 - 18 watt range. I would be ever so willing to work within that volume range, but it ain't ever gonna happen :sad:.
Rick

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 09:34:23 AM »
I recently sold our lead guitarist my 1967 blackface Bassman.  If he can't get loud enough with that head, he doesn't need to play whatever it is he's playing.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 11:22:53 AM »

It's about a 20 year trend. But until recently you didn't see much of it at places like MF except for certain vintage Fender reissues. The boutique amps were being sold by indie shops and advertised in places like Vintage Guitar mag, while MF was busy selling Marshall stacks.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 12:53:45 PM »
I have noticed that some of the traveling bands I've seen use small classic amps that are mic'd into the PA. 
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Happy Face

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 02:08:47 PM »
I have noticed that some of the traveling bands I've seen use small classic amps that are mic'd into the PA. 

Ayunh ... a while back I talked to an old bandmate who now provides PAs, backlines and such to bands that are on tour in his region. He mentioned that one semi-big or has-been act he provided gear for had a full set of stacks. But the lead guitarist also had an AC-30 behind the wall of sound. The big rigs were all on standby while he played through the (miked) Vox.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 07:46:58 AM »
Back in the 60s I caught Muddy Waters playing big ballrooms through a little Ampeg Gemini I (I think that was it) and mic'd through huge PA. Other acts were using Marshall and Sunn huge stacks. Muddy sounded just fine ;D.
Rick

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2014, 04:03:25 PM »
Is Neil Young still using pretty much just a twin and that's it...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

FrankieTbird

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2014, 05:46:16 PM »
Is Neil Young still using pretty much just a twin and that's it...?

I thought Neil used a Deluxe?  (with a bunch of pedals)

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2014, 06:45:49 PM »
No mention of Dave Davies?  Wasn't he one of the pioneers?
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2014, 07:14:20 PM »
you guys are talking about normal amps. (twin reverb) we were talking about the ultra low watt amps, 2.5 to 10 watts.

http://www.emerysound.com/Microbaby.html
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 07:29:47 PM by nofi »
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead