Author Topic: Gibson pickup flaw  (Read 21270 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Gibson pickup flaw
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2013, 09:13:13 AM »
Ah, we're gonna have on of those lavish and earnest BP-style reviews, Herr Hills always spoils us with!

An Earnest review?

Possibly Germany escaped this particular movie series....

BTW, I've found it handy to keep an old computer mouse pad around... the neoprene makes pretty decent high density support for pickups.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2013, 09:26:03 AM »
If there's a blade pickup under there (as on the SG Bass) I don't see how adjusting the polepieces would have any effect.

Pretty sure the pole pieces are just cosmetic.  

That's pretty silly - is it dual blade (so the screws are between the blades) or single blade down the middle?  Anybody got an under-the-cover pic (I'm just darn curious why they would do something so silly)?

They had very little effect on a vintage mudbucker, probably because the sidewinder construction didn't allow a direct vertical path to the magnets. But AFAIK they're ornamental on this version of the TB Plus.

Though they may not be screwed into the magnet, they are magnetic (touch them with a screwdriver) and therefore connected to the magnet even if not directly. Some peoples' observation that pole pieces seemed somewhat more ineffective than other pups may be due to this indirect connection deteriorating over time (or just always being a little dodgey on some specimens).

The bass side of the pup is about 1/4" lower than the treble.  Duh!  You'd think they could afford some thicker foam rubber at the plant!  In fact, the entire top of the pup doesn't even come up to meet the back of the cover.  And yes, the screws are cosmetic with the two blade set up.  I'll post some pictures when I have a minute.  It's Christmas decorating time at our house!!!

OMFG what bullshit.  Glad you figured it out at least and thanks for pre-emptively answering my questions from earlier in this post.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2013, 09:52:19 AM »
That's pretty silly - is it dual blade (so the screws are between the blades) or single blade down the middle?  Anybody got an under-the-cover pic (I'm just darn curious why they would do something so silly)?

Ermmm.... like this? :rolleyes:

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2013, 10:01:15 AM »
Dammit, Gibson, you totally could have made those work if you tried a little harder.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2013, 11:36:21 AM »
As Uwe said, you can screw till your heart's content and nothing will change with these pup screws!

Again, the best course is to peek under your pseudo-mudbuckers to be sure!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2013, 11:50:42 AM »
Screws that don't work is kind of naff, even I won't defend that one. So it is indeed just a TB Plus with a - yuck! - chrome cover.

Put differently: Screwing without results can be a severe disappointment.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2013, 12:02:37 PM »
"Though they may not be screwed into the magnet, they are magnetic (touch them with a screwdriver) and therefore connected to the magnet even if not directly."

If that's the test, yes they are ever so slightly magnetic (the chrome plate itself is more magnetic, however, and so are the screws of the minibucker in the bridge position). Just doesn't translate in an audible volume difference.  Now you can of course argue that neither the soap bar TBs nor the guitar size humbucker TBs offer individual string adjustment, but you can at least slant them as needed. This you can't do with the TB Plus mockbucker because that rests in a cavity underneath the chrome cover without any screw adjustment for its height.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2013, 12:07:35 PM »

Not promising this, but since I'll have the last two weeks of the year off from my teaching duties you may get a Youtube review from Veronica in addition to my usual.
One thing I will say about your bass Uwe, it's positively spectacular in finish, the photos do not give any indication of how colorful this bass is - I wish Gibson offered a Thunderbird in this finish - It would suit certain Drag Queen types quite well  ;) 

A bird of paradise bass then, Gibson is finally recognizing the buying power of the drag queen market!

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2013, 12:31:37 PM »
"Though they may not be screwed into the magnet, they are magnetic (touch them with a screwdriver) and therefore connected to the magnet even if not directly."

If that's the test, yes they are ever so slightly magnetic (the chrome plate itself is more magnetic, however, and so are the screws of the minibucker in the bridge position). Just doesn't translate in an audible volume difference.  Now you can of course argue that neither the soap bar TBs nor the guitar size humbucker TBs offer individual string adjustment, but you can at least slant them as needed. This you can't do with the TB Plus mockbucker because that rests in a cavity underneath the chrome cover without any screw adjustment for its height.

That was about actual Mudbuckers.  Never been anywhere near these Midtown monstrosities.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2013, 01:21:08 PM »

Uwe, I've only had about an hour to play your bass, it may have the same issues as Bill's - I am not going to do anything to your bass - Please feel relived. 

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

copacetic

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2013, 01:52:39 PM »
Hmmmmm.. >:(you are right! I chnaged the from rw's to flats on my SG faded the other day and noticed a drop in the response on the E..and was slightly pelexed because I had everthing intonated properly and the E was definitly lacking. The RW E was fine. soo it looks like foam time. GIBSON falls flat once again on their face for oversight or lack of thorough research on this one. Glad I took a look at this thread. Very timely. Their only saving grace is that the ( my new TBIV in Gold Boullion is a looker and a player). Now my next move is to put flats on this 50 AV and see how I like it. Any problems it goes back as it is under 30 days. :popcorn:

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2013, 02:38:06 PM »
Uwe, I've only had about an hour to play your bass, it may have the same issues as Bill's - I am not going to do anything to your bass - Please feel relived.  

On the contrary, by any means, please foam it up wth any substances you deem fit, so I won't have to do it!!! We now know the cause and you know how to screw and put your hand underneath for a little padding, don't you? Never thought you that sqeamish, Mark, really ... A man's got to do what a man's got to do, I must insist! Get that pup in order or I'm coming over!!!

copacetic

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2013, 02:49:36 PM »
we always knew you needed just the tidbit of an excuse to go over. :vader: :popcorn:

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2013, 03:42:01 PM »
On the contrary, by any means, please foam it up wth any substances you deem fit, so I won't have to do it!!! We now know the cause and you know how to screw and put your hand underneath for a little padding, don't you? Never thought you that sqeamish, Mark, really ... A man's got to do what a man's got to do, I must insist! Get that pup in order or I'm coming over!!!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2013, 04:24:17 PM »
Where did I go wrong when I posted this????   :P
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!