Author Topic: Greetings & Salutations  (Read 3549 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: Greetings & Salutations
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2014, 05:34:04 AM »
I've always hankered after a Rick; could never justify the expense... Joe, I can't imagine selling an instrument I'd owned for a 1/4C...

The PC I've had for nearly 37, the RD for 35, the Jack for 27 years, and the Hiwatt/Marshall slope/SG sixer I bought as a bundle in the late 70's - I'd have to be hard pressed to part with any of them...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

LoEndMaestro

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2014, 07:50:40 AM »
The difference between my 4001 and 4003 goes beyond the traditional differences in these models. The bridge pickup died on the 4001 a few years ago & Lindy Fralin rewound it for me. I also had the .0047 cap yanked at the same time and lawdy mama...does it scream.

LoEndMaestro

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2014, 07:53:22 AM »
And here's a pic of the back of the 3001....

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2014, 03:26:13 PM »
Niiice  8)

I prefer the sound of the bridge pickup wide open as well.  I left the caps in both 4001s, but ran wire to bypass them.  Interesting that the s/8 didn't appear to ever have a cap (is that an "s" thing?  not sure..)

Interesting thing on the pool table picture. The pickup selector switch is in a different position on each bass. I really like the FireGlo on the s/8.

There was a time when I had 3 4003s but traded up to an early v63, nice dark FireGlo of course.

Didn't notice that!  
I tend to lean on the neck pickup in the band, and sometimes toggle the neck+bridge for extra bite.  The bridge alone does sound nice on the s8 at times... jangly!

Joe, I can't imagine selling an instrument I'd owned for a 1/4C...

Yeah it felt a little weird to let go of it, but I just wasn't playing it anymore.  I sold my old Stingray too - which I think I had even longer than the Ric.  

I tend to hit critical mass, and then when stuff isn't getting played it's time for it to sail on - even the ones with tenure.  Nothing is safe here!   :) :vader:

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2014, 09:33:16 AM »
Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today, to find the highest bidder... ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2014, 09:04:03 AM »
I prefer the sound of the bridge pickup wide open as well.  I left the caps in both 4001s, but ran wire to bypass them.  Interesting that the s/8 didn't appear to ever have a cap (is that an "s" thing?  not sure..)

They stopped putting the cap in at some point. Mid 80s? None of mine (89, 92, 93) have it. Now it's back, but there's a push/pull on one of the pots to take it out of the signal path if you want.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2014, 02:10:24 PM »
The cap was dropped in 1985.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023