Author Topic: Odd Gibsons from the early 80's  (Read 3945 times)

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
Re: Odd Gibsons from the early 80's
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2013, 07:18:18 AM »
I still have my 1985 Futura, possibly the oddest & ugliest guitar Gibson ever produced. But interesting in it's own way.

I've always liked them .  Not nearly as stupid looking as, say , a Guild 701.  ... or anything with a reverse V headstock (like Rob posted).
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2013, 09:34:37 AM »
George, did you get that V2 locally? One of the two I've played was for sale either at Encore or that short-lived Guitar Diner place.

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2013, 10:25:27 AM »
George, did you get that V2 locally? One of the two I've played was for sale either at Encore or that short-lived Guitar Diner place.

I bought it at Music-Go-Round in Roseville...............
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2013, 03:54:33 PM »
I know I've posted this photo somewhere before, but this is close to what Gibson had in mind when they came up with the Futura/Corvus model......... It was built by John Mcgee, not Gibson........................ :vader: :vader: :vader: :vader: :vader: :vader:

There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2013, 09:22:09 AM »
Is it any wo0nder that these are former Gibsons?

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2013, 09:47:28 AM »
I like the rounded edges, but the diminutive/nonexistent  headstocks of instruments with the tuning machines at the butt end never looked right to me. 

Also in reference to this , about the (gold geetar version) Gibson LoZ pups:

I suspect the main reason they ended up redesigning the pup for the LPSig, vs using a white/cream version of these guys is that they are so bass-rich, you really need the passive bass control as on the LP Recording/Personal/Professional/Jumbo guitars or it can be too overbearing .... so they totally work perfectly well for bass as Rob can attest...

I find I still have to turn the bass tknob on my amp down near all the way to get a reasonable tone, and I use it in a solo singer/songwriter way mostly so there aren't even any drums or bass to compete with. ... yeah, yeah, the neck position doesn't help, but that's where Gibson put it on the LP Jumbo (and that's how I roll - I'd rather have to cut bass than add some with EQ).

I plugged her in yesterday for the first time since moving out of my old studio (all the gear minus this guitar and my Triumph were in storage, just grabbed the amp from the lockler the other day).  Didn't have to turn the bass down at all.  I think I had the amp more in a corner in the studio (LoZ input amp, don't use it often) but when I brought it home I had it away from walls.and nowhere near a corner. Also, in the studio I may have been using a (guitar/fullrange) 15 vs the old school hifi 12 (fullrange w whizzer cone) I brought home to plug in to.  Since I was just jamming alone I left the bass flat and it was rather satisfying (especially at lower volume,  with the amp just noticeably louder than the guitar acoustically, chopping at some blues riffs).  I suspect you'd still need to roll off some bass in a band setting or at higher volumes where the upper mid/trable reinforcement of the acoustic tone is less of a tone factor, but I may have slightly overstated the issue earlier. Still, I don't think this is a pup that is well paired with a typical 4x12 stack, barring niche purposes.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

TNF

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2014, 11:45:55 PM »
Necro!

Here's one or two you don't see...   

Gibson Professional 335s Deluxe

Gibson SGR1

Enjoy!