Author Topic: Odd Gibsons from the early 80's  (Read 3953 times)

Blackbird

• View Profile
Odd Gibsons from the early 80's
« on: December 04, 2013, 06:39:47 AM »
Never saw a lot of theses before, at the bottom of the page....even one in Uwe's clownburst??

http://rumbleseatmusiccbs.com/gibson%20page.html

amptech

• View Profile
Re: Odd Gibsons from the early 80's
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 06:50:50 AM »
Strange to see that many V2's in custom colour. I remember the V2 from the 80's Norwegian teen rock band 'The Kids' debut album.
It was a white one. The bass player was holding a white G3 bass.  
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 08:51:52 AM by amptech »

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 08:24:17 AM »
I like the E2s

Does anyone know of a comprehensive resource that describes all of the less common(?) guitars of that era?  E.g. stuff like the 335S, Firebrands, "The Paul", Victory...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 08:35:22 AM »
I've played a couple of V2s. Those pickups were really bright. Not in a bad way, just not what you'd expect from a V-type.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 08:50:29 AM »
I've played a couple of V2s. Those pickups were really bright. Not in a bad way, just not what you'd expect from a V-type.

I have an all walnut gibson (the paul) , It's the muddiest guitar I got. Had to replace the pickup's.
Not sure if it was all due to the woods, though. The V2 was a walnut/maple sandwich, no?

Never heard the sound of those boomerangs, but they are not the first choice when you're replacing a humbucker I guess :)

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 09:06:55 AM »
Wow, that is a shit-tonne of V2s.  Love that Sunburst CMT LP Artist about half way down.  Nice L5S (LoZ version) too.

Don't see the instrument the OP mentioned - bottom of the page is a Lucille when I look.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Blackbird

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 10:51:49 AM »
Wow, that is a shit-tonne of V2s.  Love that Sunburst CMT LP Artist about half way down.  Nice L5S (LoZ version) too.

Don't see the instrument the OP mentioned - bottom of the page is a Lucille when I look.

Sorry Gremlin...I just meant the bottom 1/4 of the page in general.  There's an Explorer in a finish called "Blue-burst" that made me think of Uwe's Clown burst.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 11:38:04 AM »
Ah.  It is interesting.  Dig the idea but I'd like it more with a better fade vs what appears to be a rather "abrupt" (as someone else described this sort of thing in another thread) burst.  Could be the photography/lighting though.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 11:43:54 AM »
More interesting is the L5-S. Gold pickups...

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2013, 08:38:11 AM »
L5-S is cool. The V2 is even uglier in solid colors than the old hippie sandwich look.  :-\

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2013, 09:02:15 AM »
More interesting is the L5-S. Gold pickups...

And those are indeed some sweet pickups (I suspect the main reason they ended up redesigning the pup for the LPSig, vs using a white/cream version of these guys is that they are so bass-rich, you really need the passive bass control as on the LP Recording/Personal/Professional/Jumbo guitars or it can be too overbearing .... so they totally work perfectly well for bass as Rob can attest).

(more pics/info here: http://bassoutpost.com/index.php?topic=7995.0)

Maude is by no means a bassy axe (acoustically - nothing like a standard dreadnaught such as the LP Jumbo) and I find I still have to turn the bass tknob on my amp down near all the way to get a reasonable tone, and I use it in a solo singer/songwriter way mostly so there aren't even any drums or bass to compete with. ... yeah, yeah, the neck position doesn't help, but that's where Gibson put it on the LP Jumbo (and that's how I roll - I'd rather have to cut bass than add some with EQ).

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2013, 05:13:56 PM »
I still have my 1985 Futura, possibly the oddest & ugliest guitar Gibson ever produced. But interesting in it's own way.

I rescued a V-2 about 16 years ago. The bridge pickup was routed for a humbucker & all of the electronics were modified. I restored it as close as I could, but I wired it like a Les Paul with two tone controls to fill an extra hole the previous owner had drilled in it. When I bought the Les Paul Personal last spring, I decided the V-2 would go. I ended up giving it to my son. It sparked a love of guitars and a lot of GAS in him. I think he has my worst genetic defect! I hope he can be saved...

Both of these guitars are rare. 200 of the Futura's are said to have been produced. 157 Flying V-II's were produce in 1979, no record for 1980. The Futura was slated to be a headless guitar, with Steinberger type tuners in the can opener shaped opening. It was said that Gibson's marketing staff insisted that it needed a headstock, creating an odd model that was confusing as to why it was shaped like it was...........
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2013, 01:41:51 AM »
I still have my 1985 Futura, possibly the oddest & ugliest guitar Gibson ever produced. But interesting in it's own way.

I always thought that one was called the Corvus.

And I thought the Futura looks like this:

???

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2013, 04:58:53 AM »
I always thought that one was called the Corvus.

???

That can opener is called a corvus in the ultimate guitar book. Maybe they changed the name to sell more :)

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2013, 05:23:04 AM »
There were three different versions that were called the Corvus. All had different pickup configurations. The Corvus's all had bolt-on necks. The Futura had a neck through the body construction, like the Firebird/Thunderbird.
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!