Author Topic: What I saw in my backyard today  (Read 5912 times)

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
What I saw in my backyard today
« on: January 23, 2008, 10:36:24 PM »
I happened to look out my back window today and saw this little dude sitting on top of my kid's swing set, eating what probably used to be a mouse. I'm not much of an ornithologist and his/her tail's not red, so can anyone tell me what kind of hawk this is? I assume it's a hawk... Anyway, my almost three year old was totally fascinated and immediately told me his name was Hawkie and he'd gotten lost. While looking for his friends, he got hungry so he ate that mouse. (Sucks to be the mouse, I guess!)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: What I saw in my backyard today
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 04:49:53 AM »
George, you have snow! I envy you. It hardly ever snows near Frankfurt and this year has been particlarly lame as regards flaky crystals falling from the sky. I like snow in winter.

Sorry about the screen writers strike. Up to now I hadn't given much thought how it affects other people working in the industry.  :-[

The bird? It must be a Thunderbird if it's close to your house! ;D Not firm in North American ornithology it certainly looks like what we would call a Habicht (hawk) here in Europe or perhaps even a Mäusebussard (common buzzard - a hawk-like European bird of prey not to be mistaken with the North American vultures you call buzzards).

Great shots by the way, mabe you should take up animal photography?

Uwe
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 05:05:19 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 06:00:08 AM »
Looks like a Coopers Hawk. A short winged hawk that lives in wooded areas. We have them near use. Great pictures George!

Is that snow in the picture George?

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 06:46:10 AM »
very cool,i love birds of prey. where are you? here in NYC we've got Falcons all over the place. they nest on the tall buildings and eat pigeons and rats.
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

Andrew

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 08:36:54 AM »
Those are really good pics.

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 09:58:18 AM »
Sharp shinned Hawk possibly.great pics. How tall is it?
It takes a very deep-rooted opinion to survive unexpressed

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 10:00:18 AM »
Thanks guys. That's two votes for a Coopers Hawk and the description I read sounds correct. It was pretty small. Maybe a foot tall. I love that I can go to a bass board and find out just about anything!

We've had more snow this winter than I've ever seen here in Utah. It's been cold enough that it stays from one storm to the next. My backyard has been under over two feet of it since early December. I did see my grass in the front yard (South facing) a couple times though. We're in the foothills near American Fork Canyon and are a mile above sea level. The other day I saw 5 or 6 FAT deer prancing across the road up the street from my house. They're obviously eating well this winter, snow or not... I actually love living in this area, I just can't make a living here like I can in Los Angeles.

It's funny, the camera I took these pics with is a three year old Fuji FinePix S5100, which is a low/mid level digital at only 4MP. It has some great features though and has been a nice camera for me. Once I'm working again and have a few bucks saved, I want to upgrade to a Nikon D80. Then I'll turn over the Fuji to my son, who is already obsessed with taking pictures with it. Its auto mode is so good he actually gets great shots if they're framed well (which at just under three years old, is more random than planned)!

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 10:12:17 AM »
99% sure that's a Coopers hawk- very cool birds.

We have had great Horned Owls hanging around our house at night which is kind of spooky for our dogs (although I doubt an owl would attempt to take a 26 pound dog!

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2008, 06:06:53 AM »
It looks like a Sparrow Hark to me. These are common in the Midwest. But what do I know?

A little quick internet research says all the aforementioned hawks prey on birds, so we may all be wrong.

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2008, 09:14:47 AM »
Those are great pics!  I am not sure what type it is, although we have plenty of hawks here in MN.  I had one divebomb down on a squirrel a few years ago while I was having a cup of joe on the back porch.  He dropped down on the neighbor's ancient metal shed to eat it, and the sound of a squirrel getting eaten alive while the talons clanged on the metal roof was really fascinating and disturbing at the same time - not as bad as Motley Crue, but close.  The hawks look really cool when they open their wings, as they are huge and have that checker pattern.

I grabbed this shot of the tree across the street two years ago.  Not the best shot, but worth sharing I think.  The thing to imagine is that these bald eagles are both the size of a cocker spaniel.  Makes you want to hide the kids.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2008, 09:30:57 AM »
...and the sound of a squirrel getting eaten alive while the talons clanged on the metal roof was really fascinating and disturbing at the same time - not as bad as Motley Crue, but close. 

:D :D :D :D :D

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2008, 10:55:26 AM »
Cool pic!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2008, 11:17:37 PM »
Be glad you didn't have this happen to you: http://youtube.com/watch?v=BzjLlqIuVhI  :o

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2008, 05:18:57 AM »
Great pics

Bird brains

From Vacation some Merganser Ducks

Evening Grosbeak

The one who ate all our Koi-
Blue Heron

Now we get feeder goldfish.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2008, 05:28:42 AM »
Our pond attracks birds, hawks & Owls (last two I have not been quick enough to get a picture)

Migrating birds usually stop by

Cedar Waxwaings

Loon

hummingbird