Author Topic: Anyone here use MarkBass at all?  (Read 11264 times)

ack1961

• View Profile
Anyone here use MarkBass at all?
« on: October 09, 2013, 01:35:51 PM »
I have a chance to get a MarkBass 210 Combo "CMD 210P" (350/500W) at less than half the retail price.
I've read some reviews and most seem really happy with it.  The retail price of $1,150 seems scary high to me, but folks seem to love 'em.  I understand that it's hard for some people to pay $1K+ for a combo and write that they hate it, so I'm pretty careful about not believing everything I read in reviews.

I just wanted to replace my heavier than all-get-out Peavey combo with something more portable (this 210P weighs 44 lbs.) for small bars and small gigs with FOH support.

Since I come here for answers to important questions (OK, and for the airplane and motorcycle pictures), I'd be interested to see if any LBO folks have any experience with MarkBass.

Thanks in advance,
Steve
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
Re: Anyone here use MarkBass at all?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 02:05:59 PM »
There are many who have more experience with Markbass amps than I (e.g. Blackbird), but I did use one the other week at a rented/equipped jam space in town and I thought it was really nice.  Very versatile with a great range of tones available.  Even a good growl/bite if you want it, or smooth and clean.  

I've never used their speakers and I can't speak to their long term reliability.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 02:19:55 PM »
I use a MarkBass SA 450 as a slave with my Ampeg V4B.

Works great for me because I use the basic sound and color of the Ampeg and let the Markbass take care of the low end.

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 03:09:14 PM »
I currently own a Markbass TTE-500 (the hybrid analogue power module model) which is a fantastic amp.  And one of my current cabs is a great lightweight sealed 4x10 - the CL104.

Previously I've owned the CL152 cab, a Little Mark II, and a Little Mark 800.

Stacking Markbass amps up against other micro amps I've always found that Markbass are very honest, perhaps even conservative, about their power ratings - 500 Markbass watts is very loud .... at least as loud into the same cabs as the claimed 1000w from Ampeg's SVT7-Pro, for instance.

Importantly, the 500 watt Markbass models with the analogue power stage are much warmer sounding than the harsh 800 watt Class D power amp models in the range.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 04:21:12 PM »
Thanks for the quick replies.  I got the CMD 102P.
It has pretty big balls on its own and when you add another 210 cab (they're 8 Ohm speakers) it is crazy loud for a little unit.
The extension cab (102HF) is expensive ($700), so it stayed there.

It's funny - you see this combo sitting there and it looks heavy, it sounds heavy and you brace yourself to lift it, and it weighs almost nothing.

My kid will be stoked, as will the bassist in their band - no more lugging around the Peavey boat anchors.

Thanks again for sharing your insight.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 07:20:44 PM »
Right now you can get excellent deals on the Genz-Benz Shuttle 9.2, which is an outstanding and powerful amp.  I was checking online and they're available in the $595 range, which is an outstanding buy and about half of retail.  Since Fender now owns Genz, there seems to be agreement that they're likely to close the line down.

Get it while you can.  You won't be disappointed.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 11:37:44 PM »
I worked with a pickup band and one time there was a setup that had an 18" + a 2x10 and a head - played about six or seven numbers through the beast and I'd probably say it was the best sound I've ever had out of the PC ever...

Well out of my league though...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 05:18:51 AM »
I was very tempted to buy the 2x10 MarkBass a couple of years ago. I did a side by side comparison with a 2x10 GK combo and the MarkBass completely blew it away. I liked the MarkBass a lot despite the negative comments that I had heard. Then I found the Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 {3 3/4 lbs.}, and I have been living happily ever after. I'm running it through an Avatar 2x12 / tweeter cab with Eminence neos {very light weight}.
No knock on MarkBass though, I like 'em. The Genz just had a little more juice, a bit more flexibility and better definition,
Rick

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 05:48:09 AM »
Wow - the Shuttle 9.2 for <$600.  That's pretty amazing.
I've never played through one, but I've listened to 2 bassists play live through Shuttle/Epifani & Shuttle/Ashdown setups and they sounded incredible.
So much power from a 4 lb. unit.

At the time, I thought the Shuttle alone was $1k+, and I although I wanted one, it was going to have to wait.
$595 for the 9.2 has me re-thinking the possibilities.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2013, 11:19:50 AM »
Wow - the Shuttle 9.2 for <$600.  That's pretty amazing.
I've never played through one, but I've listened to 2 bassists play live through Shuttle/Epifani & Shuttle/Ashdown setups and they sounded incredible.
So much power from a 4 lb. unit.

At the time, I thought the Shuttle alone was $1k+, and I although I wanted one, it was going to have to wait.
$595 for the 9.2 has me re-thinking the possibilities.

$595 and free shipping.
http://reverb.com/item/22262-genz-benz-shuttle-9-2-2012?utm_medium=GPLA&utm_source=SEM&gclid=CMnfjdrwjLoCFdFDMgodqhEAFQ

From the discussion on TB, it appears that these may be disappearing fast.  I'm tempted myself but my Shuttle 6.0 is so loud and nice that it would be a waste of money for me to make that change.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2013, 08:58:30 PM »
Since Fender now owns Genz, there seems to be agreement that they're likely to close the line down.

Whaaat?  I hate when that happens.  Why buy it just to shut it down?
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2013, 09:15:16 PM »
Whaaat?  I hate when that happens.  Why buy it just to shut it down?

Beats the hell outa me.  Sometimes Fender buys lines and periodically re-issues their brand, or holds it out for a while.  i have no idea what their plan is.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2013, 09:24:31 PM »
This is nothing new. Genz Benz has been owned by Fender for years. Kaman bought Genz about 10 years ago, and Fender bought Kaman's music division almost 6 years ago.

I see the Shuttle 9.0 is listed on the company's website as discontinued, but the other shuttle models aren't.

Of course, FMIC can do what it wants, but this shutdown talk sounds like idle Talkbass rumors. Has there been any official announcement?

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2013, 10:19:57 PM »
I haven't seen anything official yet. Chromium sent me this link the other day:

http://www.mi-pro.co.uk/news/read/genz-benz-and-swr-to-face-fender-axe/018157

I've been a fan of theirs since the early 90's and would hate to see them go away. I have a GBE600 and 2x12XB that I enjoy quite a bit.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

Hörnisse

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2013, 12:10:13 AM »
I used an F1 for a few years.  The DI was very low output but there was supposedly a mod you could have done.  I didn't bother and got the Genz 9.0.  Here at home I've got an SWR ST-220 and SM400S as well as a Peavey Alphabass head.  I'm glad there is a great amp tech here in Austin that keeps them in great working order.