Author Topic: LPB-1, special owners Help!  (Read 14550 times)

4stringer77

• View Profile
LPB-1, special owners Help!
« on: September 10, 2013, 12:43:22 PM »
So I've got a custom build in the works with a local builder, Chris Stambaugh. It will be inspired by a Gibson LPB-1 Les Paul bass but with a single t-bird pickup in the customary T-bird II location.
My quandary is that I don't have a LP special to guide Chris in how to shape the body.
Can anybody out there provide me with a tracing and measurement of the depth of the body so this project can come to fruition?
It will be a limed mahogany finish aka TV yellow finish and should look pretty cool when it's completed.
I can offer reasonable compensation for any volunteers. Also looking for a proper 60's T-bird II wiring schematic for the pots and cap.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
Re: LPB-1, special owners Help!
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 01:21:55 PM »
is that the hollow body gold top bass..   If so i have a JC bass i can trace.  Chris does nice work.   keep us in the loop on this build.   
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 01:31:52 PM »
Thanks Jim but I'm looking for the 90's and later flat top Les Paul shape. Chris is definitely a cool cat and one of the few builders willing to take on this project. The deal was sealed when I discovered he lived about an hour drive north of me. It was wonderful going to his shop and being able to pick out a beautiful looking piece of Granadillo for the fingerboard.

hollowbody

• Been working in the Kremlin with a two headed dog.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 05:54:24 PM »
I have one. It wouldn't be too hard to do that for you.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 06:16:08 PM »
Isn't the LPB-1 body identical to a single cutaway Les Paul Junior or Special?

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 08:42:00 PM »
Like this? I have this one...
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 09:15:48 PM »
Exactly, slinkp. Thanks hollowbody, I'll message you tomorrow.
Yes Dave, I'm going for a LP junior TV model look. I'll divulge more later. Right now I'm a little beat coming back from a rehearsal.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 09:17:56 PM »
Okay, let me know if you need anything, but I guess Hollowbody is already there.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 07:32:53 AM »
I've got one too (my 2nd favorite bass) if you need anything.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 10:22:31 AM »
PM sent to hollowbody.
I'm still curious about what pots and cap to pair with a single Thunderbird pickup. The only schematic I've seen is for the bicentennial model and that seems to indicate a 500k volume pot with a 250k tone pot with a .02mfd ceramic cap?

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2013, 11:59:53 AM »
sold mine about 2 years ago.  had an all black one
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2013, 12:10:24 PM »
PM sent to hollowbody.
I'm still curious about what pots and cap to pair with a single Thunderbird pickup. The only schematic I've seen is for the bicentennial model and that seems to indicate a 500k volume pot with a 250k tone pot with a .02mfd ceramic cap?

Cadfael's bass wiring diagram for a 1963-69 Thunderbird II shows 500k volume/250k tone with 22nf (.022uF) cap. That's based on a 1964 example.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2013, 12:10:59 PM »
About the rest of the build.
It will be a standard 4 string 34" scale. 2x 2 headstock, hipshot ultralight tuners with Y keys
The neck shape is based on my 07' $ bass with the 1-5/8" nut width. Black faced headstock same narrower shape as 92'-12' era LP with a Pearl S logo inset on a circle of Granadillo aka Cocobolo. 3 piece Honduran Mahogany neck
20 frets on a Granadillo fretboard to keep better balance and proportion with 60's Thunderbird neck pickup spacing.
One piece Honduran Mahogany body.
One Chrome Lollar T-bird pickup 60's neck position with no ring if possible. If a ring is needed I might go with black around the chrome pickup.
Bridge choice is still up in the air. I was considering a Hipshot D type strung through body but that bridge doesn't sit flush on the body and modifying the bass to make the bridge full contact may result in inaccurate string height. I may simply go with the A type Hipshot (chrome)
Black bell tone and volume knobs with knob pointers. No pick guard.
Limed Mahogany finish on the body, neck and all the headstock except for the face. Here's another good link about achieving the finish.
http://reranch.com/reranch/viewtopic.php?t=30742&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
I may opt for less tinted clear to get a look more like this.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2013, 12:14:06 PM »
Cadfael's bass wiring diagram for a 1963-69 Thunderbird II shows 500k volume/250k tone with 22nf (.022uF) cap. That's based on a 1964 example.

Thank you very much Dave!
I almost forgot to mention the neck will have a volute as well along with the typical tilt back headstock and trus rod access at the headstock. Oh yeah and standard pearl dots.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2013, 12:19:17 PM »
Cadfael's bass wiring, latest version: http://161589.homepagemodules.de/t29f2-Cadfaels-kleine-Schaltplan-Sammlung-fuer-passive-E-Baesse.html and scroll down to the bottom of the page for the .pdf link. Diagram 107 is the Tbird II.