Author Topic: Price Drop Alert  (Read 2923 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Price Drop Alert
« on: January 23, 2008, 06:06:44 PM »
MF has dropped the price on the SG RI Faded Basses from $949 to $799: here.

pamlicojack

• View Profile
Re: Price Drop Alert
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 06:56:25 PM »
If only they weren't short scale... :P

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 07:52:43 PM »
Damn those writers! If I were working right now I'd buy one of those and put it away for my sons. A nice short scale would be good to start with!

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 08:40:48 PM »
Damn those writers! If I were working right now I'd buy one of those and put it away for my sons. A nice short scale would be good to start with!

Hey George, are you back in the film business?

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 10:38:29 PM »
Yeah, I work in post production. Me and thousands of guys and gals just like me are currently out of work as well, except our time off hasn't been voluntary.  ::)

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 11:14:57 PM »
Sorry to hear that, George.

But I had to smile at the idea of buying it for your sons. You couldn't just put it away. You'd have to break it in for them.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 12:07:41 AM »
Sorry to hear that, George.

But I had to smile at the idea of buying it for your sons. You couldn't just put it away. You'd have to break it in for them.

Yeah, I'm sure you're right! I'll probably try and pick one up once I'm working again.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 06:04:02 AM »
Sorry George, but they are getting close to deal right?

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 09:55:49 AM »
I read or heard that there were informal talks yesterday, first time since before the strike.

They need to get it resolved. What better reason could there be than increasing George's bass purchasing power?  ;) Oh yeah, that and the royalty issues.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 09:57:15 AM »
If only those came in black.  My 65 EB3 is cherry and I don't like the brown.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2008, 07:48:01 PM »
Yeah, I work in post production. Me and thousands of guys and gals just like me are currently out of work as well, except our time off hasn't been voluntary.  ::)

Damn, sorry to hear about the forced vacation :(

I'm normally not a big union supporter but in this instance I think the writers have a valid argument.  I don't watch a lot of TV but there are few shows I actually look forward to.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2008, 09:41:46 PM »
Without getting too political, I'll agree that people should be paid fairly for their work. TV and film writers are some of the few I've heard of that get paid a royalty/residual for a work for hire. More power to 'em, but a lot of the bitterness in this strike stems from the feeling that the WGA made a bad deal the last time around and they've wanted to stick it to 'the man' ever since. I'm not a fan of the studio structure so I'm no friend to that side either, other than the fact that producers are the ones who ultimately put up the money (wherever it comes from) and provide the jobs. I'll always have respect for the man or woman who risks their own money to provide a job for me.

Luckily, the DGA (Director's Guild) made what seems to be a very fair deal with the producers that includes pay for new and future media delivery (and their contract doesn't even expire until June). That puts a bit more pressure on the writers to step up to the plate and negotiate in good faith (of course, the producers need to do the same). The reason they're talking again is in great part due to the fact that the writers have finally dropped their demand that reality and animation writers be forced into the union with any new contract (the WGA has been trying to organize both those genres for a while, with no success so far).

I have great hopes for this new round of negotiations, but this TV season is toast and the pilot season is in jeopardy as well. That means a lot of people won't be going back to work for a while, even if the strike were settled this week. By a lot, I mean thousands. New basses aside, I just want to keep my house and feed my kids...