Author Topic: CURRENT CATALDO  (Read 135007 times)

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
Re: CURRENT CATALDO
« Reply #510 on: December 07, 2016, 01:27:22 PM »
That paint job is fantastic!!!!  One of the most gorgeous I have seen.  NICE work!

Thanks, Al.  I'm looking for something else to paint with it, the metallic particles are a great size and the angle and amount of light really affect it.  There's about 28 ounces left out of the quart. 

I'll paint any color a customer wants, If I have it, it's free.  If not he pays for the paint,  and I get another standard color.  This color was $100 including shipping.  Red pigment is made with real gold, that's why reds are so expensive.

Gibson pickups?  Or Thunderbuckers?

ThunderBucker EX5, powdercoated covers.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #511 on: December 07, 2016, 04:26:39 PM »
What's the EX5?  Not mentioned on thunderbuckerranch.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #512 on: December 07, 2016, 04:59:24 PM »
What's the EX5?  Not mentioned on thunderbuckerranch.

EXtended5  Same size can as a 4 but the magnetic field is extended past the magnets with two metal strips.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: December 08, 2016, 12:17:16 AM »
I really like the look of that neck. Finish came out very nice too though I'm not a fan of the body shape.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #514 on: December 08, 2016, 09:53:03 AM »
I really like the look of that neck. Finish came out very nice too though I'm not a fan of the body shape.

The neck is from Warmoth.  Black ebony board and wenge shaft added an extra $200 to a $235 neck.  I have no tension on the single action truss rod and the neck has almost zero relief, maybe .5mm. 

I'm a little concerned about that.  It's obvious Warmoth's twin steel rods weren't necessary, would have been better without them but with a double action trussrod IMO.  The action is to my liking but maybe not no everyone.  It can be raised but I like to add relief as well for even playability all along the fretboard. 

If there's a problem, Warmoth is going to hear about it, here and especially on Talk Bass.  They shouldn't be selling this combo without a warning IMO.  I've been happy with their necks except for the weight but this one is making me nervous...it would make a great twelver neck, though!   

As far as the body style, it's been a fun exercise and I like that ergonomically it's fully functional.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: December 08, 2016, 10:37:53 PM »
In my limited experience, wenge is very stiff, much more so than maple. Warwick used to use it (maybe they still do) but they didn't use steel rods like Warmoth.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #516 on: December 16, 2016, 11:01:03 AM »
H-22s  I decided to pull the wiring and sort out any problems.  This is the  '63.

Three pickups, three different baseplate materials.  From top, pre '63 (no date stamp), '67, '63

All three wiring looms had loose or detached wires to the baritone switch.  I resoldered and cleaned all of them plus the pots and jacks,  and added a zip tie to keep it all together.  No shrink tube back in the day!  I would have had to completely desolder everything to use shrink tube.

Test rig, everything's working.  Note black zip tie near strap button.

I have one bridge for three basses.  I'm carving two replacements out of rosewood.  Stuck the bridge on the latest pre '63 H-22 and strung it up.  I'm really digging it!

Next will be stripping the previous clear coat, either a veneer or black paint to hide the headstock seams, new nitro clear, and possibly black knobs and bari switch.

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: December 16, 2016, 07:01:47 PM »
Really nice basses, I like the pickguard, is shaped a bit like Epiphone's "batwing" headstock.
Why didn't you change the complete wiring? I would bet that a wiring this old could cause problems later, even if it is ok now, and fishing pots thru hollow body holes isn't exactly an easy thing to do.
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #518 on: December 16, 2016, 07:37:53 PM »
Really nice basses, I like the pickguard, is shaped a bit like Epiphone's "batwing" headstock.
Why didn't you change the complete wiring? I would bet that a wiring this old could cause problems later, even if it is ok now, and fishing pots thru hollow body holes isn't exactly an easy thing to do.

Thanks, they're great sounding and playing basses

As far as the electronics, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Once you start where do you stop? None of the copper or insulation was corroded or damaged  Why not put a modern switch?...and those pickups, why I bet the wire in them is all melted and they'd probably sound better with neo magnets.   

Installing the harness for the first bass took ten minutes, the second one took three.  They didn't exactly have Chinese girls with tiny fingers working on the assembly line back in the Windy City.  The pot holes are 1/2" in diameter and the adjacent F hole made the whole job easy after I got the jack thru the side hole.  I used a zip tie as a fish tape for that.

I'm 70, this stuff will outlive me.  Everything is functioning perfectly, I can't say that about my prostate. ;D

steveonbass

• View Profile
« Reply #519 on: December 17, 2016, 06:15:01 AM »
Thanks for sharing all of this.  Every time I've sold an H-22, I've instantly regretted it and bought another.  I cannot afford to make that mistake again. Amazing little basses and rarely do you see one that cannot be saved.

My H22

copacetic

• View Profile
« Reply #520 on: December 17, 2016, 01:53:34 PM »
I think we do need a prostrate harnessing forum. Even the outpost caffe might not have toilets close enough.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #521 on: December 17, 2016, 02:31:43 PM »
Thanks for sharing all of this.  Every time I've sold an H-22, I've instantly regretted it and bought another.  I cannot afford to make that mistake again. Amazing little basses and rarely do you see one that cannot be saved.

My H22

That's a Beaut!  Definitely a keeper. 

This latest one came without original tuners.  A complete set with ferrules and screws popped up on Ebay, problem solved.  Now I just have to get the carve right on the bridges and the trio will have all their parts.

If you DO get the crazy urge to sell, contact me.  I'll either talk you out of it or buy it.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: December 17, 2016, 04:45:56 PM »
Prostate problems... the thought of it makes me want to pee...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #523 on: December 17, 2016, 06:33:46 PM »
I think we do need a prostrate harnessing forum. Even the outpost caffe might not have toilets close enough.

Yep just short conversations.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #524 on: December 17, 2016, 07:36:09 PM »
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 05:31:28 AM by dadagoboi »