Author Topic: CURRENT CATALDO  (Read 134450 times)

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
CURRENT CATALDO
« on: August 28, 2013, 07:06:57 AM »
I have 4 builds in house at the moment, 3 JAEbirds and an NR.  I figured it would make more sense to put what I'm doing in one place.  Turned 67 today and trying to simplify my life. ;D

JAEbird with a '66 ThunderBucker set has become my bread and butter.  0052 is going to a retailer in Japan.

0053, a Fiesta Red JAEbird is going to Italy.  Thank God for Google Translate!

0054 is going to SoCal, that's a customer supplied Novak FauxBucker.  Looking forward to hearing it.

Ebony board and a 2+2 headstock, Scott P/G.  It will fit in a standard size case and definitely NOT neck dive.

The build is for the original owner of what became Scott's and is now Jim's NR Fiver.  He's pretty much letting me do what I want, including color.  My kind of customer!  Headstock shape is the first consideration.  I'll be using Hipshot clovers.

Speaking of Jim, here's the bridge pup upgrade to his NR.

Did this for Stoney Johnstone.  He owns a Fiesta Red JAEbird and I installed ThunderBuckers in 2 Jag basses for him.  Sent me the MIM LPB body with Schaller bridge for the '66 set install.  Cataldo neck is just for the photo.

Oh yeah.  My Birthday present to me.  Allparts "second" swamp ash body, Fender P MIJ "E" neck, previously black DiMarzios that I painted, Minwax white oak latex stain and 2 coats of sealer for a semi matte finish.

Bought the used Badass around '82 to put on my first FenderBird build.  The finish took one day, I'm easy to please.

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
Re: CURRENT CATALDO
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 07:49:07 AM »
Lots of cool projects Carlo!!!  8) 

Happy Birthday!!!!
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 08:26:12 AM »
I continue to admire your work sir. Keep it up and happy 67th!

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 08:33:50 AM »
Thanks, guys.  This is a fun way to spend my declining years!

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 10:05:05 AM »
That reverse-neck Jazz finish is BEAUTIFUL. Fender puts out some see-through blondes that look like that every now and then.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 10:26:45 AM »
Happy birthday, now I have another 8 months before I catch up with you again.

Really dig the looks of the finish on your birthday J. No grain filler on this one?

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 11:09:12 AM »
That reverse-neck Jazz finish is BEAUTIFUL. Fender puts out some see-through blondes that look like that every now and then.
Thanks, it's a very easy finish to do after a little experimenting.  We moved to Florida in the fifties and that was the finish on our new oak furniture.  When I started my furniture biz in the Eighties I chose ash as my standard wood because of the wild grain and it reminded me of my '55 Precision.

Happy birthday, now I have another 8 months before I catch up with you again.

Really dig the looks of the finish on your birthday J. No grain filler on this one?

Thanks, getting there is half the fun!

I no longer use grain filler on anything.  With ash the water based white stain fills quite a bit but you still have some 3D with 2 sealer coats that's hard to photograph.  Two heavy coats of lacquer would smooth it out pretty well but I like the semi flat look for a change.  I had some pix of the body stained without any sealer but I deleted them  somehow.  I'll document the next one.

Iome

• Born to rock..forced to work
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 11:21:02 AM »
Buon compleanno Carlo. Beautiful basses.
If you need help with the italian customer i'd be glad to give you a hand.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 11:39:48 AM »
Happy Birthday, Carlo! I'm glad your business is coming along. It ain't work if you love what you do.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 01:22:22 PM »
I appreciate the offer, so far so good with Google Translate.  I'm a little worried if I ship my usual way, through the mail.  The Italian post office has a pretty bad reputation.

That's why I've been self employed my entire life, George!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 03:28:44 PM »
The shed tips its hat in deepest respect...

Have many more and sell even more than that... annually...  ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2013, 03:37:53 PM »
The shed tips its hat in deepest respect...

Have many more and sell even more than that... annually...  ;D

Thanks, Kenny.  I thought about you when I was doing that blonde on ash.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2013, 03:43:44 PM »
[shamebeonme] I was looking at her earlier today and shaking my head in disgust and I'd be lying if the thought did not cross my mind when I saw your b/d treat... my daughter did discuss using peroxide (hairdressers ;D) on the body to try a start again - I want to get on with it but several things are somewhat troublesome at present... too many stalled projects... I was only discussing the rattle-cans I've had sitting waiting for use for nearly two years now with her a couple of hours back... :rolleyes: [stillshamebeonme]
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 03:54:09 PM »
A happy birthday to you Carlo! As always beautiful work! I should have kept that 5ver.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2013, 03:59:35 PM »
The first time I did black on ash it took me forever and I still wasn't satisfied.  A customer had asked me to match the black finish that Mackintosh used on his ash stuff.  I never did get amount of gloss and grain visibility right.  It's one of those, "a lot of prep and a one shot application" things.  I think you have to sand as much as what's on that ash bass of yours as you can and then figure out what technique will work.  It does take a lot of time experimenting.  You'll get to it someday!

A happy birthday to you Carlo! As always beautiful work! I should have kept that 5ver.

Thanks, Scott!...no, you should have had me build you an 8er ;D