Author Topic: CURRENT CATALDO  (Read 134871 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: CURRENT CATALDO
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2013, 04:17:23 PM »
Simple engineering, I guess - the fixings nearest the head are structural as it is the point of greatest force, or a pivot point - the fixings closest to the bridge are under the least tension...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2013, 08:43:57 AM »
Simple engineering, I guess - the fixings nearest the head are structural as it is the point of greatest force, or a pivot point - the fixings closest to the bridge are under the least tension...

Something like that...I failed Structures when I was an Architecture student. ;D

Cataldo Basses is now on Facebook.  Same crap, new address.  I'd appreciate a "like" because when I get to 30 Zuckerberg gives me a million dollars and you'll all be in line for a share.  I think that's the way it works...THANKS!

« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 12:13:12 PM by dadagoboi »

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2013, 08:56:02 AM »
Liked.

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2013, 11:02:49 AM »
NR's do have a tenon, although not as thin as a typical Gibson...much wider..but still a tenon.

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2013, 11:09:18 AM »
What about neck angle?  Most Fender style necks usually have some small amount of shimming in order to get a good setup - did you route the neck pocket at an angle?

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2013, 12:12:39 PM »
Thanks, Andy and Dave for the FB "Like".
NR's do have a tenon, although not as thin as a typical Gibson...much wider..but still a tenon.
In effect with a tight neck pocket, especially one that's only 5/8" deep the whole thing is a tenon if properly glued...that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

What about neck angle?  Most Fender style necks usually have some small amount of shimming in order to get a good setup - did you route the neck pocket at an angle?
Both my bridge and tailpiece are lower profile than Gibson's, so an angled neck pocket isn't necessary and the break angle is good.  You can see that the studs hold the channel tight to the body, saddles are individually adjustable.  With the strings close to the body over the pickups and the low bridge, it plays like a Fender.  Some Gibsons have the strings too high off the body for my liking no matter how low the action.

I'm using spray on catalyzed polyester primer to fill body grain.  It does a great job and is fairly economical.  It takes about 6 ounces, 8 with waste to fill a body.  Comes in white,black, grey and red.  Has a 30 minute pot life after catalyzing with MEK.  One quart=4+ bodies=<$30.  I use just enough to fill the grain and then sand it back to where it's almost translucent, it doesn't shrink like lacquer primer.  Here's the spray setup for it with a set neck; pull it out and flip it over for the back.  Maple doesn't need filling.

...Thank you, Sam.

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2013, 04:53:28 PM »
"  ...Thank you, Sam."

:mrgreen:

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
Geezer Dots
« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2013, 09:59:05 AM »
The neck dots are white.  They won't work with the paint scheme.  I pulled them with an Exacto, most of them anyway.  Also jabbed myself pretty good.

Used 1/8" drill bit to enlarge the holes, a long one to get to the end holes that are on top of the body.

Then I enlarged the holes slightly with a #30 bit.  It's going to be interesting getting the new dots in.  They are made of 1/8" (3mm) styrene, about twice the diameter of the originals.  Paint will go to the edge of the top of the board, vintage Gibby style.

Would have been a lot easier if I'd done this before I set the neck.  I meant to, but forgot...Geezer Dots!

Thanks to all for 'Liking' the Cataldo Basses FB page!  Your checks are not in the mail.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2013, 10:36:46 AM »
Liked!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2013, 04:22:27 PM »
Liked!

Me 2 but are the new dots red. . .    :o or is that just temporary?

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2013, 04:28:16 PM »

Those are just the holes, new dots will be black.  They go in after the neck gets painted.  I should have said, "will be...1/8" styrene..."

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2013, 08:23:00 PM »
 Liked!
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Hörnisse

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2013, 10:00:02 PM »

Red dots.......like the one year only (1974) Rickenbacker 4001 basses.

Hörnisse

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2013, 10:00:36 PM »
Red dots.......like the one year only (1974) Rickenbacker 4001 basses.

And I liked the FB page too!

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #59 on: November 19, 2013, 01:26:55 PM »
A lot of the primer/surfacer gets sanded off but it's pretty quick work, especially if you snort some of it.

Painting a set neck requires some gravity defying technique.

Thanks for the FaceBook Likes, guys.  Just hit 30!