Author Topic: Quatermass 1970 prog classic is reissued  (Read 1595 times)

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
Quatermass 1970 prog classic is reissued
« on: May 25, 2013, 06:46:18 AM »
http://www.esotericrecordings.com/

http://www.cherryred.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=4206

Great news as I have always wanted to hear the live recordings from the 1974 line-up that had Barry De Souza and Malando Gasama on drums and Janne Schaffer on guitar alongside Robinson and Gustafson.

This is very interesting:
http://www.cherryred.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=4207

Anything with the Gus on bass is always interesting to me, not to mention Paul Buckmaster and Peter Robinson.

nofi

• View Profile
Re: Quatermass 1970 prog classic is reissued
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 07:02:47 AM »
bought the original quatermass album when it was released. it is just about perfect as it stands. i have heard some 'extra' stuff over the years but was not impressed.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 07:41:34 AM »
bought the original quatermass album when it was released. it is just about perfect as it stands. i have heard some 'extra' stuff over the years but was not impressed.

What you have heard? There's some very low quality bootleg stuff from the original band and of course the great 7" One Blind Mice b/w Punting. I don't know the reasons why the B-side was left off this reissue but that has some of the more funky stuff they played in 1974 while backing Shawn Phillips on tour.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 12:44:53 PM »
I had the LP but never got on with it; same with Hard Stuff... loved his stuff with IGB and Roxy...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 12:39:49 AM »
Got the reissue yesterday and it has the single B-side included too. Excellent liner notes by Peter Robinson and according to pictures Gus used a Jazz Bass (at least on stage), also on the Sphincter Ensemble session.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 08:18:22 AM »
the lp was reissued on  cd manyyears ago and a heavy vinyl version recently. i usually prefer the original of any recording without remixes, outakes and other filler.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
Re: Quatermass 1970 prog classic is reissued (again)
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 02:57:35 AM »
the lp was reissued on  cd manyyears ago and a heavy vinyl version recently. i usually prefer the original of any recording without remixes, outakes and other filler.

Yeah, I get it. :rolleyes:

Even the first reissue on CD by Repertoire in 1990 had two bonus tracks, the A- and B- sides of the German-only single "One Blind Mice". I have the album on original (US 'though) vinyl and since I like it so much I'm willing to hear any outtakes or live stuff since there was never another Quatermass album.