Author Topic: Fender to finally make the Starcaster bass and reissue the Coronado?  (Read 28874 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: Fender to finally make the Starcaster bass and reissue the Coronado?
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2013, 09:37:57 AM »
Was the old one a maple block?
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2013, 04:57:05 PM »
The originals had no center block. As thin as the body is, having any kind of center block should be noticeable compared to the originals.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2013, 07:19:49 AM »
The originals had no center block. As thin as the body is, having any kind of center block should be noticeable compared to the originals.

Well, no center block sure didn't help the tone or resonance of the original.  Hopefully things will improve with the next generation.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2013, 03:15:08 PM »
Let's hope it's for the better. I won't pre-order one though. I'll wait to hear what others think.

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2013, 05:26:10 PM »
Well, no center block sure didn't help the tone or resonance of the original.  Hopefully things will improve with the next generation.

I always though the guitars sounded dead as well.  Not bad just lifeless.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2013, 04:23:52 AM »
The "reissue" designation is a bit misleading here. The Coro RI just shares some visual features with the old Coro's, but they are irrelevant to the sound or playability, like f-hole and headstock shape or fretboard binding and inlays. With its different construction, different pickups and hardware, it's a new model.

With the Starcaster, similarity to the 2-3 prototypes is really unimportant; not many know how those sounded or played.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2013, 06:31:54 AM »
The "reissue" designation is a bit misleading here. The Coro RI just shares some visual features with the old Coro's, but they are irrelevant to the sound or playability, like f-hole and headstock shape or fretboard binding and inlays. With its different construction, different pickups and hardware, it's a new model.

With the Starcaster, similarity to the 2-3 prototypes is really unimportant; not many know how those sounded or played.

I agree.  No one really makes a true reissue these days.  For the most part, it's a cosmetic link to the past, but almost every other element is new.  Which may not be all that bad if the original model was lacking in tone, output or playability.  Looking forward to seeing how these two turn out!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2013, 11:50:20 AM »
I was in the HOG the other day and Curt said the new hollow bodies were shipping now.  Should be interesting!

Wilbur88

• circa 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2013, 05:04:23 AM »
I was in the HOG the other day and Curt said the new hollow bodies were shipping now.  Should be interesting!

Yes, they are both now on eBay.
Basses:  Gibson '78 G3 & '06 T-bird, '96 Ric 4003, '83 Steinberger L2, '11 Warwick Star, '01 Gretsch G6072, '11 Fender 60th P, '78 Guild B302F
Rig: Ampeg, Hiwatt, Fender TV

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 15, 2013, 07:01:07 PM »
Can't wait to see them

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2013, 07:36:50 AM »
Let me know when yo go Bill!
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2013, 01:16:45 PM »
I stopped in today on the way to work, but didn't stay long.  Long enough to buy an amp and run.  Geezzzzzz.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 10, 2013, 05:17:35 AM »
Played a new Starcaster Friday, cherry burst.  I was pleasantly surprised.  The finish is the usual flawless mile deep poly.  The maple neck has some really nice flame and the fretboard is also finished, ala RIC.  The neck profile is different from most fender basses.  It is a little flat, not so rounded.  I found it comfortable on a 30" neck.  The weight is good, I didn't notice any neck heaviness.  It is a beautiful bass for sure.  I like the neck and body styling.  The electronics seem pretty good.  I like the 3-way switch, always have.  It plays nicely, comfortable for my short fingers.  I have to say, it's a pretty cool bas for a china product.  I'm leaning toward buying it.  I was in between meetings and couldn't stay long, so I'll go back on Tuesday to play it through a good amp.  If it sounds good, I'll snap it up.

The biggest gripe I have about the recent glut of foreign made hollow body basses is the electronics.  Most of these basses are beautiful, well constructed and play comfortably, i.e. Guild, Hofner, but the electronics are mediocre at best.  I want the pups to have some balls and many are just place holders.  I'd pay for less poly and more juice in the pups!  I know that's asking a lot at this price point, but someone in China has to be able to make decent pups and keep the bass price under $800.  Is that asking too much?

More on the Starcaster next week.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 09:31:22 AM by drbassman »

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #58 on: November 10, 2013, 06:07:35 AM »

I'd pay for less poly and more juice in the pups!  I know that's asking a lot at this price point, but someone in China has to be able to make decent pups and keep the bass price under $800.  Is that asking too much?

You have to pay a lot more for less poly and the same quality of finish.  It's much less labor intensive to shoot on polyurethane with limited wood prep.  Then finish sand and buff it out.  The pickups and electronics cost the factory $40.

So yes, you're asking too much from a Chinese $800 bass from "Fender" with their markups.  From another supplier maybe not.  Rondo Music now sells some great guitars with US hardware and pickups for excellent prices.  The market isn't there for basses.

That bass cost Fender no more than $200 FOB China, probably less.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 10, 2013, 09:36:29 AM »
Yep, US and homeboy builders like us can't compete with Chinese labor costs.   Ugh.