Author Topic: Welcome to the future  (Read 3322 times)

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
Welcome to the future
« on: July 16, 2013, 03:41:18 PM »
Here's some advice on living from folks who know what it's like to have to work for one:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2013/07/15/mcdonalds_budget_no_food_no_heat.html

...because marketing executives at McDonald's and Visa are experts at low wages, giving them that is. Running percentage numbers and scaling them down with total income doesn't work and this chart is a stunning testament as to why.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 05:22:41 PM by Psycho Bass Guy »

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
Re: Welcome to the future
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 04:18:01 PM »
Those numbers aren't far off my living conditions right now.  I'm not putting $100 in savings, though.  It's closer to $400.  If you watch it, and listen to Dave Ramsey, you can live pretty comfortably with those numbers.  I'm living on 55% of my gross, and putting 11% in my 401K.  I still have room to move, and recently gave my daughter $2000 for her wedding without blinking.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 05:14:50 PM »
$20 a month for health insurance, $90 electrical, no EATING, clothing, or gasoline at all? Seriously?

Horseshit!

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 05:29:55 PM »
$20 a month for health insurance, $90 electrical, no EATING, clothing, or gasoline at all? Seriously?

Horseshit!

My electric is about $35/mo.  Yes, I do run the A/C.  I seldom eat out, and I make tea by the gallon.  I still get to indulge with fresh ground coffee, and my crock pot (plugged into an outlet timer) is my preferred cooking method.  I don't think I'd have a fighting chance if I had a family to support.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 06:11:58 PM »
Their "budget" doesn't cover food AT ALL. You buy groceries? Not on their budget.

Our utility started price-gouging about ten years ago and our costs have quadrupled even as their cost to buy power from TVA has been consistent and runs $250 for a small house. It was $60-80 when we first moved in with an older, less efficient heat pump and a slightly smaller water heater. I just can't fathom reasonable rates any more.

Health insurance is the about the same and coverage is lousy, so out-of-pocket costs with my issues about double that.

I can appreciate the idea of thrift, but the fact that corporations actually pretend that their employees can LIVE like this shows just how heartless they really are. The sons of bitches ought to have to live the way they think their employees should.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 06:30:30 PM »
For a single guy, it can work, but it takes discipline.  It also means that I need to rent.  Owning a home would likely change a lot.

"Then your $27 dollars a day needs to cover your gasoline, and minor details like food and clothing along with entertainment.*"

My grocery budget is $150/mo. and gasoline is $200/mo.  There is so much I really don't need, and I have room to wiggle a little.  I buy clothes only on sale, or even (gasp) at the thrift stores.  I just picked up 3 decent shirts (one is pretty nice and almost new) for $15.  Just staying out of fast food joints and coffee shops is a huge savings.

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 06:44:45 PM »
It's widely circulated that Walmart advises part time employees how to take advantage of food stamps and other subsidies.  Not piling on Wallyworld but even full time employees can't afford the health insurance that they offer - one of my wife's staffs spouse works for them and it is obscenely expensive.

It's always been much cheaper, on a spreadsheet anyway, to hire two part timers instead of one full time employee - which is really like stepping over a dollar to pick up a dime.  Heaven forbid that a company develop a loyal employee with a sense of pride and responsibility >:(
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 06:56:28 PM by Lightyear »

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 06:48:45 PM »
my health insurance is 636 dollars a month. feel better now. :sad:
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 06:56:57 PM »
Health insurance is obscenely expensive, period. The only question is how much the employer subsidized it.

NOT meaning to get political here, but when the Affordable Care Act hits full force, from every indication, it will be much more expensive than now. That's why some parts were delayed until after the next congressional elections. Also, full-time jobs in the service industries will become almost non-existent; it will be too expensive for employers. There has already been a big move toward part-time, the general public hasn't been paying attention. Just wait --  you'll think today's costs are a bargain.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 07:02:16 PM »
Health care costs will likely put the burden on the young and healthy, in order to fund the elderly and the sick.

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2013, 07:08:07 PM »
My daughter has friend going to college for culinary training.  The kid's had some tough luck but things were looking good for her last year.  She got a part time job at an upscale fast food place and got bumped up to the point that she was working full time-ish.  2013 rolls around and she, and most everyone else, is bumped back to 28 hours a week.  

Nofi - my insurance is about $450  BUT - it is now just catastrophic coverage.  I get a physical for free and very basic generic meds as well - everything else is full cost until I hit a my deductible, $2500, and then I get coverage at 80% >:(  Last year I had a farily decent PPO for less.  We are scared shitless about what we'll get wacked with next year.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 07:20:31 PM by Lightyear »

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2013, 07:56:15 PM »
My health insurance doubled last year ($480 a month for family of 3) and we have to spend at least $3000 in med expenses before they cover more than the bare minimum. I can't wait for it to get even better when the "affordable" healthcare kicks in.  :rolleyes:
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2013, 08:35:23 PM »
Health care costs will likely put the burden on the young and healthy, in order to fund the elderly and the sick.

That's not likely, it's a baseline requirement.  In order for the new system to lower rates, it is an absolute requirement that young, healthy people start carrying health insurance. Their premiums will subsidize the costs for older people who have higher health care costs.

NONE of the following is intended as political commentary, just my observations and thoughts........

I personally would have preferred a government-run health care plan because the companies are necessarily going to manage their plans to make considerable profits.  The one advantage that a government-run plan would have had is eliminating the profit aspect, but that might have been negated by the size of the bureaucracy required to run it.  OTOH, there's going to be a big new oversight bureaucracy anyway, so maybe that's a wash.

I personally think that (on a practical basis, not a political one) the health care industry had too much influence on the way the plan shaped up.  No surprise there, as a government-run plan probably would have destroyed a substantial part of their industry. I like the concept behind the law, but I am far from convinced that the dollars and cents aspect will work. I fully expect the law to be modified significantly in its first few years.

As a university employee, I'm probably in as good a position as anyone relative to my health care plans, but I'm not far from retirement and I will be watching to see how this thing works out.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2013, 08:39:55 PM »
I can't wait for it to get even better when the "affordable" healthcare kicks in.  :rolleyes:

It'll be interesting to see what it does to my costs/coverage.  Betcha my employeer (and many others) will drop the spouse and kids when that hits - since they can go get their own "affordable" healthcare.

I'll take the Big Mac HMO for $20/mo, please!  :)

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2013, 04:35:34 AM »
my insurance of 636/mo is just for me. i have it with kaiser permanente. i have been with them over twenty years because i did not want to be at the mercy of my employer(s). it is very high but i can't really complain because the care i get is very good and it more than paid for itself when i got sick and medical costs ran way over 100k. still though...
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 11:10:34 AM by nofi »
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead