Author Topic: Back in the work a day fray  (Read 2323 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Back in the work a day fray
« on: June 30, 2013, 09:27:31 AM »
    In December my wife saw a job posting for a painting supervisor  for the student workforce at a local college. While not being overly enthusiastic about the idea I dutifully submitted my resume and never gave it another thought. Late April I got a call from St. John Fisher College, their number one candidate had flown the coop and they needed a replacement asap. They fast tracked a interview and background check and offered me the position in two days. I told them that they will be glad their first choice bailed on them. So far it has been great. My crew consists of 12 students of varying degrees of enthusiasm, it's basically herding cats. My main job is to keep them from sleeping or screwing and pointed in the right direction. I have no power to discipline, I only make suggestions and if they don't follow them it's the big bosses headache! I also fit painting in when I can......................My boss has even told me don't make yourself crazy you don't have to do that much painting! After the first week my immediate supervisor Dave stated dropping hints about me staying on past the end of August. This topic comes up frequently, Dave usually brings it up once or twice a week. Last week he sat me down in a conference room to talk it over, it seems the director of facilities has asked if I would want to join the "Fisher family". Now I wasn't really looking for a full time position but the work environment is great, the pay and benefits outstanding and my daughter would go to college for free if I were a full time employee! I have put a ton of work on hold or out right canceled jobs. The end of August is coming fast keep your fingers crossed for me guys. I swore I'd never take another job but never say never. Oh get this I get a golf cart labeled PAINTER 1 to tool around campus in.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 11:33:56 AM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
Re: Back in the work a day fray
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 09:37:03 AM »
It's about time someone up here had good news!  Sounds like a good deal.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 09:52:55 AM »
Sounds like an offer that would be hard to turn down. Lots of benefits for you and family.

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 10:00:52 AM »
Sounds like a fantastic gig.  And it sounds like it's close to home - couple that with free college for kiddo and it's nothing but great!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 10:04:22 AM »
 I can always revisit my antiques restoration/bass building aspirations. The truth is biz is up and down, a steady paycheck would be nice and having college for our daughter taken care of is dare I say priceless. No guarantees though, fingers crossed. Worst case scenario is I come back next year :)

Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 11:27:15 AM »

Hey Scott, that sounds pretty cool! I hope it works out right for you. What a great benifit that your daughter could attend for free! Awesome! 
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2013, 12:36:26 PM »
I think Dr. bill would agree with me that there are many benefits of working on a campus.  It has been 33 years for me and I've been happy about it.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2013, 02:26:33 PM »
sounds like a great gig.   I have 2 in college so tuition is a huge number when considering the pretax earnings actually needed for that tuition bill.    Can we assume she would be ok going to that particuliar school.  I have seen friends kids walk for scholarships becuase it wasn't the sholl they wanted....

good luck keeping the job.  Painting and supervisioning some college kids.  sounds doable.   
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2013, 04:04:14 PM »
 This college has a reciprocal agreement with something like 200 other colleges she can pick and chose.....................as long as she gets accepted.
sounds like a great gig.   I have 2 in college so tuition is a huge number when considering the pretax earnings actually needed for that tuition bill.    Can we assume she would be ok going to that particuliar school.  I have seen friends kids walk for scholarships becuase it wasn't the sholl they wanted....

good luck keeping the job.  Painting and supervisioning some college kids.  sounds doable.   

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2013, 04:19:10 PM »
Sweet, congrats! You'll have to start sneaking in some Gibson custom colors on your jobs. I would have been stoked to have a dorm room with Kerry green walls!  ;D
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2013, 05:47:49 PM »
Sounds like it could be a great situation Scott. Good luck to you!!
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2013, 09:36:10 PM »
Scott, that's awesome! I hope things work out for you. A steady gig is a nice thing to have in this economy.

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2013, 06:48:57 PM »
Sounds awesome! You should incorporate the golf cart in your next video somehow!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2013, 12:35:03 AM »
Steady income + free education = no brainer  ;)

Keeping them crossed for you... talk about a good birthday present...! ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2013, 08:09:59 AM »
Steady income + free education = no brainer  ;)

Truer words never said!   ;D
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."