Author Topic: It's really nice to play with old timers (attn Psycho Bass Man)  (Read 2633 times)

Happy Face

• View Profile
We landed a nice time slot on the main stage at an outdoor city festival tomorrow. It's not Woodstock or Shea Stadium, but it should be a lot of fun. PA, stage etc provided which is really nice since our PA is in my basement.

But the bands have to bring their own amps. No big deal. I mean, that's why we agonize over our rigs, right?

Last night after practice we were talking about what rigs to bring. Our leader guitarist mumbled something about bringing his little Line 6 amp since "we'll be miked anyway so it'll be fine." In fairness to him, he does get some good sound out of it sometimes. But...

Thankfully I did not have to say a word.  

First our frontman exploded: "You have a beautiful Marshall half stack and you want to bring that little piece of crap??" He was referring to the sound. Then he added that we want to LOOK GOOD on stage. "This'll be a big crowd!"

Then our new drummer, a local legend who we were lucky to get, joined in: "Marshalls and Orange, my two favorite brands. I want one on each side of me."

Our poor lead guitarist asked "Well, what will DJ bring?" probably wondering if I'd bring my "small room" Sunn 200s on top of a 1x15 folded horn.

But I didn't get a chance to answer. The frontman declared "He's bringing his big Orange rig. And you are bringing the Marshall. End of discussion."

It's nice playing with guys who still care about how we look on stage rather than worrying about being able to carry your whole rig in one trip.   :)

And, it doesn't hurt that my big Orange rig sounds much, much better than any of the little mini rigs I tried when we had a 9 month residence at a club with a long flight of stairs up.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 08:05:11 PM by Happy Face »

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
Re: It's really nice to play with old timers (attn Psycho Bass Man)
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 09:11:36 PM »
Hope we get to see pictures after the gig!

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 04:39:23 AM »
Your guitarist sounds like a very down-to-earth kind of guy, rare thing amongst them.
Also, PICS!!! :D
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

Happy Face

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 07:52:48 AM »
Your guitarist sounds like a very down-to-earth kind of guy, rare thing amongst them.
Also, PICS!!! :D

Right you are. Imagine this, we have to ENCOURAGE him to extend his leads. That's unheard of!!!

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 09:47:02 AM »
 ;D

Happy Face

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 09:11:29 PM »
The Big Orange rig in action. Wth a Guild JSII, modded with Darkstars. My mainstay bass.

Yep, that's my license plate.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 09:19:28 PM by Happy Face »

Happy Face

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 09:15:07 PM »
The massive stage. The Marshall & the Orange did present a nice visual balance.

Due to the low turnout they bagged the big stage.

But the check was paid and the sound company was good. So who's complaining??

Happy Face

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2013, 09:17:57 PM »
Sorta in focus, this time playing the Rickenbacker. It must have been a Who song.

This will teach you not to ask me for gig photos again.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2013, 09:24:00 PM »

Yep, that's my license plate.

How does that Orange rig handle in rush hour traffic then?

Happy Face

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2013, 09:31:43 PM »

How does that Orange rig handle in rush hour traffic then? 

It's a great musician's car. Thanks to the ability to remove the back seats totally, it's like a small truck. Much better than an SUV. But the visibilty to the sides is not great.

Nor is the power. So if you are asking if it would handle LA rush hours or normal times on the BQE in NYC well, not really. You just have to accept that you will be honked at and receive a hand gesture now & then.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 03:52:08 PM »
the sound company was good.

I'll bet a LOT of that had to do with having a good stage sound to start with. The biggest mistake I see in 'all DI/small amp' bands is that they end up trying to make three or four wedges sound like Iron Maiden's Powerslave backline and everyone suffers. It happens when sound guys like to pretend they're producers and the bands either don't have the experience or the clout to overrule them. It's MUCH easier to balance vocals onstage when there's little to nothing else in the monitors. Unless a band has an absolutely KILLER PA/monitor system and an equally gifted set of hands on board, going the route that has worked for over 60 years ain't a bad idea.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2013, 01:53:33 PM »
Go big or stay home is my motto ;)
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2013, 02:06:00 PM »
... and when Scott goes BIG... ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2013, 08:54:15 AM »
It's MUCH easier to balance vocals onstage when there's little to nothing else in the monitors. Unless a band has an absolutely KILLER PA/monitor system and an equally gifted set of hands on board, going the route that has worked for over 60 years ain't a bad idea.

Hear, hear!  It never hurts to have an amp that's up to the job. After 40+ years messing with audio and video, I hate depending on someone else's system.  I'll bring my gear; that's why I bought gear that I'm capable of transporting every time.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

bobyoung

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2013, 08:14:16 PM »
I bring my SVT everywhere, for very small rooms I use two B-15T 15" 4 ohm cabs with an SVT head.