Author Topic: mirror image rics  (Read 1042 times)

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
mirror image rics
« on: May 20, 2013, 09:24:35 PM »
I attended the recent Bay Area Rickenbacker Confluence (BARC) and thought I would share this pic:

On the left is my '76 4001 in Autumnglo, and on the right is a 1993 4003S LH - I could only stay about an hour and as I was running out this bass and its owner appeared, and I had the presence of mind to have my wife snap a pic.

I love the way they are so similar yet so different all at the same time. Lefty headstocks vary (as do rightys actually), so it was fun to have the mirror image headstocks for this one. Actually, at the gathering we had every version represented - righty w/ righty headstock (mine), right w/ lefty headstock (4001C64), lefty w/ lefty headstock (this 4003S) and lefty w/ righty headstock (a beautiful Mapleglo '74 4001LH with red dots!) - but unfortunately no one realized it until after the fact.

Also have an interesting recording of the Autumnglo that I dug up - we recorded it back in 2007 - hard to believe that's 6 years ago! - listening to it on headphones, I had forgotten that the bass was recorded both clean and with distortion (both direct, I didn't have an amp going) and they are separated in the stereo field. I would love to redo this track - remix the drums since I really didn't know what I was doing back then, and fix some of the synth echo - but I also kind of like the atmosphere that this one has.

https://soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven/kappa-highway

bobyoung

• View Profile
Re: mirror image rics
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 08:11:01 PM »
Lefty Ricks always look so beautiful, I don't know if it because I'm seeing them from a new perspective or what, come to think of it lefty Fenders are pretty cool looking too but not as cool as lefty Ricks.