Author Topic: NB(double)D  (Read 3064 times)

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
NB(double)D
« on: April 11, 2018, 02:06:25 PM »
Both non-Fenders in the pic are new. The 5-string on the left is a Chinese-made Peavey Grind. I needed a cheaper bass for gigging and fell in love with the tone and playability. The double-bass is a 1930's German-made Juzek, solid construction. It's had some MAJOR repairs over the years; looks like the right shoulder was completely caved in at some point, but it has great tone and plays amazing. Like me, it's scarred but loud. I got it and the stand for less than half what plywood Chinese uprights are going for. I'm tickled.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 02:31:13 PM by Psycho Bass Guy »

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: NB(double)D
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 02:30:16 PM »
Sounds like a great buy on the upright!!

That's probably more than twice the bass as the new Chinese copies.  Well done!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 06:38:01 PM »
Very nice. Congrats.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 07:27:22 AM »
Congrats on scoring a good deal on a Juzek. Is this your first double bass? Since you're the psycho bass guy, does that mean you'll be using it for psychobilly music?
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 04:28:41 PM »
Congrats on scoring a good deal on a Juzek. Is this your first double bass?

Yes. I have played borrowed ones here and there over the years, but this is the first one that's mine. It made me feel good when the lady in the store asked me how many other double basses I had.

Since you're the psycho bass guy, does that mean you'll be using it for psychobilly music?

Funny thing is, the guitarist in my new doom-punk band asked the very same thing! I guess so now! It slaps pretty well. I even had them adjust the action just a bit higher on the E because my normal playing was bouncing it off the fingerboard. The in-house luthier kept saying he couldn't believe how hard my attack was having never had one. No wonder my tone on electric is so bright! They had a bow, but not yet...

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 07:39:17 AM »
Try to take it easy on the old girl. I know some guys who do slap exclusively use nylon strings. Those can work well but will be less versatile for other styles. Using a bow can be daunting. Even if you don't think classical technique is necessary for your musical goals, it's a very efficient way of establishing fundamental technique for position and intonation purposes. At the same time, I'm guessing Willie Dixon never tried getting through a baroque concerto. Being able to pull off a Slam Stewart type solo would be preety cool.

Either way, enjoy it!
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2018, 09:02:08 AM »
He's singing floozy - not "floogie"!  :mrgreen: Are song titles now censored too?
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

luve2fli

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2018, 11:22:06 AM »
I had a pre-WWII Juzek up until a few years ago. If mine was any indication, you'll be very happy. Congrats!
"I think it's only proper that I play until the last note of a set, then fall over and die. The band won't have to play an encore and they'll still get paid for the gig" (Dr. John)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2018, 01:00:08 PM »
He's singing floozy - not "floogie"!  :mrgreen: Are song titles now censored too?

In fact, it was.

From the Wikipedia article on the song: 

The original lyric, recorded in January 1938, was "flat foot floozie with a floy floy"; Vocalion, however, objected to the word "floozie", meaning a sexually promiscuous woman, or a prostitute. The second recording in February changed the word to "floogie". In the second part of the title phrase, "floy floy" was slang for a venereal disease, but the term was not widely known and failed to catch the attention of censors. It was regarded as nonsense and came to have positive connotations as a consequence of the song.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2018, 02:26:21 PM »
When I was little, my mother used to sing Flat Foot Floogie. Is that a bad thing?

No idea if the Wiki article is accurate. She regarded it as a nonsense song.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2018, 07:37:12 PM »
Try to take it easy on the old girl. I know some guys who do slap exclusively use nylon strings. Those can work well but will be less versatile for other styles.

I like the sound of nylon, but it came with steel and I want to see how I do with them. I'm not going to be rockabilly beating it or truthfully, taking it out that much. The repair is old and stable, but it's been BADLY broken in the past. The neck looks like it was also reset when the other repairs were performed. You can't really see it in the pic, but's led a HARD life. We bonded over war wounds, LOL.

Using a bow can be daunting. Even if you don't think classical technique is necessary for your musical goals, it's a very efficient way of establishing fundamental technique for position and intonation purposes. At the same time, I'm guessing Willie Dixon never tried getting through a baroque concerto.

I'll get to arco eventually. I just want to get to know her first.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2018, 09:02:28 PM »
Many uprights have neck resets done - the neck design on them is such that over time the neck tends to work loose and tilt forward. Done right it's more solid than when it was new.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2018, 10:01:32 PM »
I'm not worried about the reset at all, just commenting that I think it had that in addition to the other major repairs. It had been in the music store I got it from for a LONG time and it's still acclimating to my house and the action is moving very slightly, but it feels like either it's changing more to my liking or I'm just becoming more comfortable with it. I'm still varying my techniques and working on my intonation before I try to build much speed. Volume is no problem. Just like when I'm plugged in, I have two settings: loud and off.

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2018, 08:26:20 AM »
That is a fine old bass...you are very lucky to have found it

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2018, 11:57:34 AM »
Gorgeous... 8)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...