Author Topic: Darrin Huff on tb.  (Read 5890 times)

nofi

• View Profile
Darrin Huff on tb.
« on: May 07, 2013, 08:14:49 AM »
john, i see you are a member of the darrin huff support group over as tb. what a crazy friggin' story that is.
 you guys have the patience of a saint. i could not wait ten years and counting for a bass or anything else for that matter. good luck!

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/darrin-huff-basses-over-ten-years-still-waiting-256053/
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
Re: Darrin Huff on tb.
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 09:17:19 AM »
I saw that thread to and was appalled that some people are still waiting after that long. "Good luck" here has several meanings...
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 09:36:48 AM »
Wow, surprised to see that's still going on after all these years. I figured by now that everyone would have written off their deposits and moved on. There's never been any excuse for his lack of action.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 09:44:47 AM »
huff started making custom yo yos but that too is apparently gone. some nice wood,though. a piece of someones bass perhaps. :P  

http://www.flickr.com/photos/yoyobrothers/8537212545/
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 04:58:29 PM »
Man, those basses are ugly
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 07:13:40 PM »
He made an EB-0/EB-3 shaped bass for Watt maybe 10-11 years ago, Watt called it the Purple Plower and he used it on a tour, then it mysteriously disappeared from Watt's page of "thudstaffs." I wonder what happened there.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 11:15:12 PM »
huff started making custom yo yos but that too is apparently gone.
A ship loaded with those yo-yos has sank 40 times.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 06:31:43 PM »
Criminal is a better word. Darrin used to be a regular on the Dude Pit, seemed like a nice guy, bought and traded equipment, those are the ones to be wary of. I ordered my bass about 8 years ago or more. I lost track. The statute of limitations have run out long ago, so I have no choice but to wait.

He sends us pictures of progress, it is just painful. Too many regrets to list on this.

sacredfool22

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 02:38:26 PM »
He made an EB-0/EB-3 shaped bass for Watt maybe 10-11 years ago, Watt called it the Purple Plower and he used it on a tour, then it mysteriously disappeared from Watt's page of "thudstaffs." I wonder what happened there.

It mysteriously disappeared because Mike learned I had started playing bass, but didn’t own my own yet. He just up and presented me with the purple plower. Let’s see maybe that was 2005ish? A couple years later maybe through the Internet maybe a pic of me on Mike’s page Darrin had caught wind Mike didn’t own it very long before passing it onto me. I was a lil worried he might be butt hurt it was given to a then 19 year old girl, but he’s nice and has come to terms with it. I imagine I’d be a lil sentimental butt hurt if I were him, but I’m a great person and bass player. Mike is one of the most humble supportive dear friends to all!

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2018, 05:53:22 PM »
It mysteriously disappeared because Mike learned I had started playing bass, but didn’t own my own yet. He just up and presented me with the purple plower. Let’s see maybe that was 2005ish? A couple years later maybe through the Internet maybe a pic of me on Mike’s page Darrin had caught wind Mike didn’t own it very long before passing it onto me. I was a lil worried he might be butt hurt it was given to a then 19 year old girl, but he’s nice and has come to terms with it. I imagine I’d be a lil sentimental butt hurt if I were him, but I’m a great person and bass player. Mike is one of the most humble supportive dear friends to all!

Thanks for letting us know what happened to it. Mike is highly respected.

Blackbird

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2018, 08:15:25 AM »
Looks like he updates tho...

https://www.facebook.com/zellerguitars/

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2018, 10:22:25 AM »

What a great story, and a great intro to the forum! How is that bass? Do you have any pics of the purple plower? I can't remember what it looked like... aside from being purple!

Similarly, Watt used to have a custom "banana plower" - i believe it was sort of a short-scale bright yellow J-bass. Wonder what happened to it, it's gone from the hootpage as well.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2018, 12:56:48 PM »
Looks like he updates tho...

https://www.facebook.com/zellerguitars/

Yeah, showing slabs that were promised to be delivered as completed basses anywhere from 10 to 15 years ago. It just makes the people whose money he took even angrier.

What a great story, and a great intro to the forum! How is that bass? Do you have any pics of the purple plower? I can't remember what it looked like... aside from being purple!

Similarly, Watt used to have a custom "banana plower" - i believe it was sort of a short-scale bright yellow J-bass. Wonder what happened to it, it's gone from the hootpage as well.

The purple plower was a modified EB-0/EB-3 shape.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2018, 08:54:51 PM »
I dug up the "purple plower" with a bit of googling ...
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2018, 05:51:08 AM »
It’s always the nice guys you need to look out for. He comes off as the nicest down to Earth guy, but really is a sociopath, with no remorse for anyone other than himself.

A trait more found in CEO’s and politicians.