Author Topic: Rutherfaker  (Read 5891 times)

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
Re: Rutherfaker
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2013, 07:47:24 AM »
Actually, a much better attempt than this one, where two Ric's died, although this guy got the horn near right, WTF happened to the meeting of bodies ???.

www.yourmovetheband.com/rick.php

I've seen that one. Don't really care for the "rear end". When I win the lotto, I'm going to join a 480 guitar (top) to a 4003S bass.  :P

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2013, 08:30:09 AM »
Actually, a much better attempt than this one, where two Ric's died, although this guy got the horn near right, WTF happened to the meeting of bodies ???.

www.yourmovetheband.com/rick.php

No doubt he wanted the area between the upper horns to be continuous. The overall effect just doesn't look right to me, though.

SeanS

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2013, 11:48:57 AM »
No doubt he wanted the area between the upper horns to be continuous. The overall effect just doesn't look right to me, though.

I meant the lower edge, looks like two guitars glued together, not sure how the real RUTH was done in this respect though, the bridge on the bass looks pretty much where it should be, so extra body on the 12 string I suppose.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2013, 02:47:50 PM »
I meant the lower edge, looks like two guitars glued together, not sure how the real RUTH was done in this respect though, the bridge on the bass looks pretty much where it should be, so extra body on the 12 string I suppose.

I get the feeling the rears were not aligned to make transitioning between the necks easier. The guitar is set farther foward in a more natural playing position in regards to the fretting hand.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2013, 05:41:22 PM »

That's what I meant about it not looking right. He made the upper transition smooth but the lower transition looks awkward.

I get the feeling the rears were not aligned to make transitioning between the necks easier. The guitar is set farther foward in a more natural playing position in regards to the fretting hand.

That makes sense.

SeanS

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2013, 11:48:35 PM »

It does make sense, but it's not like the real one which has no mating lines or curves.

Hörnisse

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2013, 04:02:37 PM »

It does make sense, but it's not like the real one which has no mating lines or curves.

Plus, the real ones have bolt on necks. :-\

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2013, 06:05:53 AM »
I could never understand why they were designed like that. Maybe because the two necks are at different angle (tilt) to the body - but why?

The first 4080's had the bass neck not deep enough into the body (like the Burg in the pic), which was unstable and prone to trouble. So RIC changed the body shape around the cutaway, so that the necks have deeper pockets. They had to compromise looks (and upper fret access) for function. They also glued the necks inside the pockets.

The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2013, 02:30:17 PM »
Real Ric doublenecks were bolt-on?  :o

How you guys shatter illusions here.  :-\
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Paul Boyer

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2013, 05:55:48 AM »
Real Ric doublenecks were bolt-on?  :o

How you guys shatter illusions here.  :-\

Illusion, indeed. Actually, the double-neckers are "screwed and glued." But the 4080 is not the only Rick bass to have something other than a neck-through assembly. 4000 and 4001S basses from mid-1972 to the end of production in the early 1980s were set-neck construction. The hollow-body 4005 bass family also had set necks.

The lower-priced 3001 (and the short-scale 3000) were "bolt-on" necks (wood screws, actually), as were all the basses in the 2000 series: 2020, 2030, 2050, 2060, and 2030 Glenn Frey signature edition.

Neck-through Rick basses include early 4000 and 4001S, deluxe 4001, 4002, 4003, 4004, and 4008 and all their subvariants.
Author
"The Rickenbacker Electric Bass - 50 Years as Rock's Bottom"

SeanS

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2013, 02:24:01 AM »

I was referring to the real Rutherford.