Author Topic: "I won't do that" revealed and explained!  (Read 1550 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
"I won't do that" revealed and explained!
« on: April 25, 2013, 03:40:54 AM »
Edith and her daughter Lea are dragging me to a Meatloaf concert tonight - I'm not his greatest fan (as my then teenage son once said when Meatloaf was playing in the car: "Dad, is this from Lion King, sure sounds like it ...", he listened mostly to Korn at the time  :mrgreen: ), those grand arrangements ...  :-\, and to boot the guy is an avid Deep Purple hater (his song Rock'n'Roll Mercenaries is about them, they had a backstage run-in of self-importance at some festival) ...

But I always liked this song and the vid was a small movie at the time (copiously stolen from Coppola's Dracula adaption). But this smart alec version tops it all, lovingly done and well worth watching through the end.

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: "I won't do that" revealed and explained!
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 07:44:16 AM »
I liked him as an actor in Roadie (with Art Carney). Not as a singer.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 02:08:04 PM »
Maybe I should have gone see Korn instead. He sang all night in an interesting key, just not the one his band was playing in - ever.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 02:10:04 PM »
I enjoyed his death scene in Rocky Horror (and I always though the "I won't do that" was about anal  :P).

An old boss of mine at a high school part time job just loved the guy.  She was about his size too.

Maybe I should have gone see Korn instead. He sang all night in an interesting key, just not the one his band was playing in - ever.

He might have been trying to appeal to the younger kids and hipsters by experimenting with atonality and polyrhythms.... but somehow I doubt it.

Also bad monitoring can have that effect.... why am I making excuses for him?
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 02:25:39 PM »
Seen him a few times and enjoyed the show - best time was with Bob Kulick, and best of all it was a freebie as it was a recording for a TV show... ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 03:36:40 PM »
Frankfurt Festhalle has horribly billowing acoustics - few acts manage a decent sound, Leonard Cohen and Rush come to mind. Must be a Canadian thing ... Meatloaf took until the first intermission (after which Bat out of Hell, the album, was played in its entirety) to get his sound halfway right.

Not only was he off key, but his timing was off as well. I'm sure it had something to do with his in ear monitoring or maybe he is turning deaf. He was accurately off key except in the quietest parts. OTOH his girl singer (the role once had by Ellen Foley, Karla de Vito, Ms Loud etc) was rhythmically spot on all the time and in perfect pitch.

Band was good and tight, but I don't think I need to hear any "larger than life"-Jim Steinman piano for the next few weeks or so.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 03:45:44 PM by uwe »

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 04:17:16 PM »
Not only was he off key, but his timing was off as well. I'm sure it had something to do with his in ear monitoring or maybe he is turning deaf. He was accurately off key except in the quietest parts.

He came to Australia last year and sang at a major sporting event in front of 100,000 people as well as live TV and was horribly off key then too - so I assume it's not a one-off for him these days.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 03:46:37 PM »
... a decent sound, Leonard Cohen ...

Oxymoron comes to mind, imho...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...