Author Topic: Guild Starfire reissues  (Read 13064 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: Guild Starfire reissues
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2013, 06:56:48 AM »
So, if the Gretsches and Starfires are made in the same factory, shouldn't the quality be similar or do you suppose they are cutting corners to keep the price of the Guilds down?
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2013, 08:38:31 AM »
Hard to say what's going on. Fender doesn't own the factory but if there's a capacity problem, no doubt they can specify what takes priority.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2013, 06:27:03 AM »
While in the HOG yesterday, I did grab one of the Starfire (MIK) guitars and it was beautiful and flawless as far as I could tell.  The finish was excellent and the binding was perfect.  Nice straight neck,too.  Maybe the bad bass example online was a really early one that shouldn't have left the factory.  I have to say that my Gretsch 5123 was made in the same Electromatic plant and it was pretty much flawless and sounded great.  I'm on the fence with the MIK thing.  I'm down to one Asian bass as I've been expanding my USA/German stock.  A lot will depend on the the sound of this bass for me as well as the fit and finish.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2013, 05:04:11 AM »
 I had a '67 Starfire II I flipped it almost as soon as I got it. It was just not for me. I'll have no need to revisit a offshore version. If they are your cuppa I hope that they are well done, certainly no reason they can't make a nice one.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2013, 07:15:55 AM »
That bass needs to be made without the thumbrests

No, those are not thumbrests. Those are slap preventors   :mrgreen:

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2013, 09:50:03 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
No, those are not thumbrests. Those are slap preventors   :mrgreen:

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2013, 07:56:47 PM »
I happened across one of the new MIK Starfire reissues today - managed to play it a little bit. It wasn't bad - didn't make much of an impression either. I had a '68 Starfire I with the pickup in the neck position which I sold, so I'm kind of spoiled. To me, it needed flats, though now that I think of it I should have messed with the EQ on the amp more. And that's another important part of the equation - I was playing through a TC Electronics combo, probably the BG250, which I have played through before and haven't been impressed. I kind of liked it with the tone knob all the way off.

I'm sorry this is such a lame review! At least I have a picture:

I wish I could say something conclusive about the pickup, but it didn't really hit me either way, good or bad. The thumb rest was kind of interesting - nice placement, but felt kind of weird - might even have been wood, unlike the plastic ones on my '68.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2013, 09:35:29 PM »
Thanks for the report, Harry. Just because you were underwhelmed doesn't mean it's a lame review.

They still look impressive to me. But based on this and an earlier negative report, I sure wouldn't buy one without playing it.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2013, 12:03:42 AM »
A guy in The Netherlands has one and is very impressed. The rests seem to be rosewood.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2013, 08:32:30 AM »
I liked your review Harry. I think it reflected your true feelings about the bass - underwhelmed. I would want to try it with flats too.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2013, 08:45:10 AM »
Seconded- cool to hear your opinions, especially given that you had owned an original.

Were you also underwhelmed with the '68?  or was this MIK just sort of anemic in comparison?  I know that in my own Guild experience, I feel that I preferred the 70s pickups over the Bisonics (heresy!).

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2013, 10:09:33 AM »
I think part of it was the desire factor - when I found the '68 back in 2008 or so, I was into the history of Alembic, Phil Lesh, Darkstars, etc., so I was really excited and fell in love with the bass right away. I sold it mainly because I wasn't playing it and needed money, not because I didn't like it. Well, I had an issue with the E string - I tended to hit the string too hard so that it would hit the pole piece and make some mechanical noise through the pickup - pickup was as low as it would go without shorting out.

I have to admit I am skeptical about these new bi-sonics - but there has been so much hype about Darkstars, Bi-Sonics, on and on and on. The build quality of the bass was good, it felt good physically to play. A lot of my reaction is probably because of where I am coming from - I've gotten my Starfire fix, I wasn't excited to play this one. Someone who is really wanting the Starfire vibe may very well be happy with it.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2013, 02:07:16 AM »
I was underwhelmed by the tone as well.  Played one a couple weeks ago and it was beautiful, the neck  is wonderful to play, a really nice slim round profile.  I just couldn't justify the money for the sound.  I have taken too many basses home over the years that look great but lack in terms of output or tone.  I am trying to be more discriminating!

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2013, 11:09:40 AM »
I was underwhelmed by the tone as well.  Played one a couple weeks ago and it was beautiful, the neck  is wonderful to play, a really nice slim round profile.  I just couldn't justify the money for the sound.  I have taken too many basses home over the years that look great but lack in terms of output or tone.  I am trying to be more discriminating!

So the Gretsches have a stronger or more vibrant tone?

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2013, 11:50:43 AM »
I'll be interested in Bill's response.  He has had a 5123 Electromatic, and sold it.  I have kept mine but it's a lot lower output than the Thunderjet.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."