Author Topic: Guild Starfire reissues  (Read 13063 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Guild Starfire reissues
« on: April 18, 2013, 05:11:50 AM »
I thought it would be fun to start a new thread on these incoming basses.  The guys at the HOG said they played them at NAMM and really liked them.  Made in Korea, the list of $1599 should yield a street price of around $1100.  Not too bad.  It sure is an accurate looking reissue, that's for sure.  The big question in the equation is the Guild Bi-Sonic pup.  No info or specs available on it.  It could be good, it could be not so good!  The web site also says with case, so that's a nice touch too.

I happen to have two Darkstars that could help this one if needed!   ;)

I always liked the Rivoli RI from Epi, but the pups were real dogs IIRC.

Say, there is a nice little video of a guy playing the Starfire.  Very mellow, sweet sound he's getting out of it.

I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Re: Guild Starfire reissues
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 07:09:28 AM »
I played one at the Messe, but it was very loud on the Fender booth and the amp was a Bronco, on which I couldn't turn off the fuzz.... I hate too much controls and knobs;) Bass looks and feels very good. I ordered one for a review. I know how Darkstars look and I will screw the pickup out to check;)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 07:13:42 AM »
According to the thread on these when they were announced at NAMM, the pickups are reproductions of the original Bi-sonics. I doubt they'll publish any detailed specs.

Street price is about twice as much as the Korean DeArmond Starfires of about 15 years ago. Considering inflation and since these are closer to the originals and come with a case, sounds about right.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 07:37:23 AM »
I played one at the Messe, but it was very loud on the Fender booth and the amp was a Bronco, on which I couldn't turn off the fuzz.... I hate too much controls and knobs;) Bass looks and feels very good. I ordered one for a review. I know how Darkstars look and I will screw the pickup out to check;)

That would be cool to see!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 07:38:50 AM »
According to the thread on these when they were announced at NAMM, the pickups are reproductions of the original Bi-sonics. I doubt they'll publish any detailed specs.

Street price is about twice as much as the Korean DeArmond Starfires of about 15 years ago. Considering inflation and since these are closer to the originals and come with a case, sounds about right.

Yeah, I wasn't a fan of the DeArmands.  Hope this one is better.  At least the top wood, bridge, tuners, knobs and pickup look like the old ones! Performance will be where the rubber meets the road.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 02:02:08 PM »
I saw the guitar version of the Starfire reissues at the HOG and they are beautiful and very faithful reproductions.  Fender did these right IMHO.

Also saw the bass online already on eBay.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 09:22:39 PM »
I sure would like a chance to play one of the basses. It would be nice if a brick-and-mortar store around here would stock one.

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2013, 11:19:50 PM »
me too although i am still on the fence with the pickup placement.  looks like a MM spot to me.  IMO it should be right in the middle or have 2 which is what i would want..  hopefully this will lead to a m85 in the future.  That is a bass i have always lusted after though never actually played one....
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013, 06:42:57 AM »
I still don't have my review example.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2013, 09:55:13 AM »
Yep, I'm thinking a Starfire is in my future.  That's the only thing holding me back from the MIJ Bass VI.

And, an M85 would sell like hotcakes, IMO!

saltymonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2013, 10:05:23 AM »
Here's a nice video of someone playing a new Starfire reissue. Sounds great. He returned the bass though. Fit and finish were slightly lacking. Crooked tuners, a strange finish flaw on the side of the neck and an off center center stripe were pointed out in the review and discussion on the other forum. Here's the link:

http://www.johnbiscuti.net/2013/04/25/2013-guild-starfire-bass/

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2013, 02:29:59 PM »
Here's a nice video of someone playing a new Starfire reissue. Sounds great. He returned the bass though. Fit and finish were slightly lacking. Crooked tuners, a strange finish flaw on the side of the neck and an off center center stripe were pointed out in the review and discussion on the other forum. Here's the link:

http://www.johnbiscuti.net/2013/04/25/2013-guild-starfire-bass/

The flaws are disappointing. Hope they get those problems corrected, pronto. Multiple flaws on a single bass from new series doesn't bode well.

He says that really big frets make it harder to get low action. I wonder what he means by that, since action has to do with the distance between the fret tops and the bottom of the strings -- not the board. Could be inadequate fret or nut work, and the hump in the neck certainly doesn't help.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2013, 04:05:53 PM »
Yikes, that's not good news for sure.

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2013, 04:59:52 PM »
That bass needs to be made without the thumbrests

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2013, 01:51:53 AM »
Only zero to two or three Starfires will come to Europe each month and they have like 70 orders now. Fender expects to be on time with delivery in 2014. The bass on the Messe had no flaws. The one reviewed could be an early one.

The big problem of the basses is that Fender has only one facility which can make them. It's the Gretsch Electromatic factory. Demand for those instruments are so high that Guild comes in second place.