Author Topic: Guild Starfire reissues  (Read 13071 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: Guild Starfire reissues
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2013, 07:24:51 PM »
Al is correct.  The Thunder Jet has huge output while 5123 TV Jones pups are weaker.  After buying the Gibson 335 and Midtown, I just didn't see enough reasons to hold onto the 5123.  Both Gibsons have more power and each uniquely is a better bass IMHO.  If I only had one hollow body, the 5123 would be a fine bass to have.  But there are a lot of options out there.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2013, 08:51:49 PM »
We hang onto things for a variety of reasons.

I can't say that my 5123 isn't a nicer playing bass than my 1970's Univox 335-copy.  I'm hanging onto the Univox for now because it's freakin' lovely even if the pickups are so-so.  I'll also never see another one in this pristine condition for the price I paid.  It sounds like a 70's bass and if I'd get busy and clean the electronics it would be a nice player.

I plan on selling my Casady gold top, even though it's a more powerful bass than the 5123 and I do love its sound.  It's a big bass and not the most comfortable one for me to play.  But it turns out to be the bass I don't reach for since I have others I prefer.

The Thunderjet is a better competitor to the Casady. It doesn't roar like the Casady does on its most bassy setting, but it seems well-balanced across the strings.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Wilbur88

• circa 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2013, 01:08:32 AM »
So, if the Gretsches and Starfires are made in the same factory, shouldn't the quality be similar or do you suppose they are cutting corners to keep the price of the Guilds down?

These Starfires are more expensive than the Electromatics aren't they?  I'd like to do an in hand comparison.
Basses:  Gibson '78 G3 & '06 T-bird, '96 Ric 4003, '83 Steinberger L2, '11 Warwick Star, '01 Gretsch G6072, '11 Fender 60th P, '78 Guild B302F
Rig: Ampeg, Hiwatt, Fender TV

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2013, 08:40:50 AM »
These Starfires are more expensive than the Electromatics aren't they?  I'd like to do an in hand comparison.

If Guitar Center carries them, you might be able to do that.  They seem to be keeping 5123's around.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Wilbur88

• circa 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2013, 12:10:54 AM »
If Guitar Center carries them, you might be able to do that.  They seem to be keeping 5123's around.

Unfortunately I'm on the other side of the planet.   :sad:
Basses:  Gibson '78 G3 & '06 T-bird, '96 Ric 4003, '83 Steinberger L2, '11 Warwick Star, '01 Gretsch G6072, '11 Fender 60th P, '78 Guild B302F

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2013, 02:18:31 PM »
Unfortunately I'm on the other side of the planet.   :sad:

Well, that's inconvenient!!

Wilbur88

• circa 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2013, 10:35:57 PM »
Well, that's inconvenient!!

Damn right it is. 

tore00

• Southern by grace of God
    • View Profile
    • Snakebite
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2013, 08:13:28 AM »
Me too. I am including the Starfire in the long list of basses to buy in the next visits in the US. Until now I bought three basses in three work travels.
Maker of the Bad-Sonic Pickups

stiles72

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2014, 04:14:57 PM »
I had a chance to try one of the new Starfires out today through a small Fender combo amp at a local music store. I already have a De Armond Starfire from the 90's, so I was looking forward to seeing how much difference there would be.

Visually, I think they nailed it. The cherry finish was very nice, and the bass felt very comfortable. The neck was a little faster than my De Armond, but the large Grover tuners made it neck dive slightly more. A set of Hipshot UltraLites would help I'm sure. I was worried the single pickup in the bridge position would be too bright - but with the tone rolled off it thumped quite nicely. Overall, thumbs up on looks, sound, and playability.

Despite all of that - it didn't seem to be any better a value than the De Armond. It still feels like any other Korean made bass, and hanging on the wall next to all of the other import instruments, it just made me wonder what justify's the price tag ($1,000). Another thing I noticed - is that the De Armond seems to resonate more- and has more of a woody-acoustic sound that the Guild didn't. My guess is the difference in woods used (Maple vs. Mahogany).

The new Starfire is a looker, plays great, and sounds good too- But just not enough to get me to trade my De Armond in or add the Guild to my collection at the moment.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 11:05:12 AM by stiles72 »

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2014, 09:25:32 PM »
Thanks for the report. I know what you mean about the price tag, it's hard for me to consider paying $1000 for a Korean made bass.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2014, 05:53:05 AM »
Wow , that's a pic of my old Ampeg :o. Still got it tucked away downstairs.
Rick

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2014, 01:54:30 PM »
Thanks for the report. I know what you mean about the price tag, it's hard for me to consider paying $1000 for a Korean made bass.

+1.  I actually like my dearmond though I didn't pay anywhere near 1000 for it.  more like 450   IIRC 

keep hearing really good things about Novaks bisonics.   Supposedly much closer to the originals than the DS were/are.
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

innerbass

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2017, 02:25:07 AM »
Plasticbass ?

Im thinking about having one more Starfire (II natural)
-the new Korea-Guild reissue. BUT :

Im concerned : Can you/someone please make clear to me:
What does "laminatet" exactly meen ? (”Laminatet back and body”)(Laminatet sides)  - is it ALL real wood in layers ? - like plywood; thin layers of wood, glued/pressed together ?
or is it artificial/syntetic ?
-or wood with an artificial topcoating- layer ?

(the nice looking top and back could be plywood with a topcoating/photo of wood) ?
 to me : fake!

I had a DeÁrmond Starfire- desided to change the color and tried to sand the ”laq away and on the sides: not possible ; it is plastic all the way.
Pu,s were the uninteresting standards ,ugly tuners ,so I finaly gave it away and got myselve a Guild costombuild Starfire II with ebony fingerboard , no dotmarks, Black bindings, flamed headstock, Darkstars , no mastervol, no pu- toggleswitch.– The King of all sound.   WOOD !

You can mess with my wife, but dont touch my bass !

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2017, 05:00:08 AM »
I had a DeArmond and I played some new Guilds ar fairs. Different animals. The Guild is a real reissue,the DeArmond was a but like the old one..

Laminated. Almost all semisolids are laminated as far as I know, or the top is. From cheap Chinese to custom shop ES-335s. Layers of thin wood. No problem. With a laminated top it doesn't matter that much which wood it is. Sono worries.

innerbass

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2017, 05:03:10 AM »
Thanks.
I contacted Guild aswell-:
Thanks for your interest in Guild Guitars!

The term "laminate" means that it isn't one solid piece of wood, it means that there is two pieces of wood glued together rather than one piece of wood top, back and sides. It is indeed real wood, not artificial, it is just sturdier to build them this way.

If you have any additional questions, feel free to respond directly to this email and I'll be happy to address them - please do not modify the subject line of your email reply, as our system will not recognize it. Please do not resubmit another inquiry through our website as it will open another issue. 

Have a great day and thanks for choosing Guild!

Taran Longo | Service Department
Cordoba Music Group
1401 Stellar Dr, Oxnard, CA 93033
P 310-857-1709 | F 310-857-1690
Cordoba Guitars | Guild Guitars
HumiCase | Aquila | Savarez