Author Topic: Boston  (Read 9929 times)

4stringer77

• View Profile
Boston
« on: April 16, 2013, 09:53:57 AM »
Tragic events at the Boston marathon yesterday. Praying no one here was directly effected. Hope everyone will focus on loving each other so we can make this world a better place.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: Boston
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 10:16:53 AM »
It's beyond comprehension.  Prayers for all involved yesterday and praise for those who ran in to help.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 11:01:30 AM »
Another reminder that there are sick people in the world, and none of us can hide from them.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 12:10:29 PM »
Terrible circumstances and condolences to the Bostonians...

We have the London marathon this coming Sunday and they are "burying" Thatcher tomorrow - UK security is having kittens...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 12:46:41 PM »
I'm too angry to even begin to say what I'm really feeling. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 03:33:18 PM »
It's an outrage and whoever did it meant specifically to take away what runners need: their legs.
My condolences to the city of Boston, the victims and their family and friends.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 05:44:38 PM »
Once again, the media was irresponsible, broadcasting and publishing things that turned out to be baseless. There's still speculation going on that may turn out to be completely wrong.

No matter how angry you are, keep in mind that we don't have any answers.  Don't rush to judgment.

Worth reading (from a blog I read regularly): Richard Jewell Cannot Accept Our Apology

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 07:54:25 PM »
Once again, the media was irresponsible, broadcasting and publishing things that turned out to be baseless. There's still speculation going on that may turn out to be completely wrong.

No matter how angry you are, keep in mind that we don't have any answers.  Don't rush to judgment.

Worth reading (from a blog I read regularly): Richard Jewell Cannot Accept Our Apology

I remember when this was live on TV.  They had Richard Jewell.  Obviously, they thought he was probably guilty.  I took a look at him, turned to the person next to me, and I'll never forget my words and my certainty.  I said--"That guy is innocent."

I haven't kept up too much with what the media is saying now about Boston, unless they're wanting people to think it's probably homegrown.  I don't have enough info to make any judgment at all.  
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 03:12:01 AM by westen »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2013, 08:29:26 PM »
The good news is that there are security cameras all over that area, and many other people were shooting video.  I'm pretty confident that all that footage will turn up something they can follow up.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 04:34:38 AM »
The good news is that there are security cameras all over that area, and many other people were shooting video.  I'm pretty confident that all that footage will turn up something they can follow up.

Especially since cops apparently were making periodic sweeps through the area throughout the race. An open event like this is much more difficult to police since people come and go all the time. A large stadium event, such as a football or baseball game, is probably much easier to keep safe.
I hope something turns up soon.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 06:41:47 AM »
Without wishing to sound caustic: It could have been a lot worse (with all respect for the personal tragedies of the victims). Planting bombs in open spaces to maximum effect is still an unsure business for whoever wants to do it.

I'd be very much surprised if this had an Islamist terrorism background. Nothing fits - there is no specific political symbolism (from an Islamist terrorist viewpoint) attached to Boston or marathons (they are not "arch-American" like an NFL Kick-Off would be), the bombs seem (luckily) makeshift. Al Quaeda is "better" than that, they have been doing it for too long. I also have a hunch that if a schooled terrorist organisation was behind this we'd be mourning a lot more casualities.

Some freak(s).
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 12:13:58 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 06:51:06 AM »
If something turns up on someone's cell phone footage or security footage, let's just hope they get the right person.

It could be anyone or any group with some kind of grudge (April 15 - tax protest?), or even another loner wanting to top the last tragedy and watch people suffer. I'm thinking the same as Uwe, an organized Islamist group with a grudge would probably be claiming responsibility.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2013, 07:19:44 AM »
Pressure cooker bombs are commonly used in Afghanistan, Pakistan, India and Nepal.  It's easier to build bombs of that sort in the US rather than high explosive ones typically used by Al Quaeda.  That's mainly due to the difficulty obtaining high explosives in the US, let alone importing them.  The 2010 failed Times Square bomb was a pressure cooker.

I have no idea who did Boston.  I also don't underestimate Al Queda or anyone else by thinking they won't change tactics if necessary, including staying mum until they perceive it timely to reveal themselves. 

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2013, 12:08:35 PM »
Time will tell.  The rest is just speculation.  I'm waiting for an arrest.........
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2013, 12:22:04 PM »
Political terror lives from the fact that it claims its deeds to great outside effect. Weird that no one has done so here. Having killed three people - one of them a child - in a bombing attack is hardly headline news in Afghanistan, Iraq or wherever Al Qaeda houses these days. Won't give you access to a lot of virgins either is my guess.

You could be forgiven to cynically think that no one has claimed this as their deed yet because the death toll was less than impressive given prior expectations.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...