Author Topic: autographs  (Read 8454 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: autographs
« Reply #60 on: July 20, 2014, 12:40:28 PM »
Harlan Ellison... writer of City On The Edge Of Forever... arguably the finest episode of ST TOS...

PKD autographs are pretty scarce... the Exegesis is something of his I will probably not attempt... Blade Runner... a movie I've sat and studied and watched far too many times... fascinating that so much of Tokyo replicates the movie now... So much of his work tried to grasp that theme, the more human than human, etc...
I was gifted his collected shorts some years back and have most of his novels...

There's a number of other writers that I've enjoyed over time and some individual stories by well known authors - McCafferys Singing Ship series (Pern series didn't work for me) and a few others... Bill Gibson is a great writer but certainly owed a lot to PKD... Carl Sagan's single work of fiction is sheer brilliance... Harry Harrison just leapt out... There are some classics, obviously... arguably one of the first SciFi books is Frankenstein...

My books have (mostly) been boxed up due to space (the final frontier) reasons ... ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

tore00

• Southern by grace of God
    • View Profile
    • Snakebite
« Reply #61 on: July 20, 2014, 01:33:00 PM »
Any interest in H.P. Lovecraft? Personally I really love him! Next time I am in East Coast will go to Providence and visit the place of The Case of Charles Dexter Ward. One of the few authors I have read in Italian and in English. Another one is J.R.R. Tolkien
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 01:40:43 PM by tore00 »
Maker of the Bad-Sonic Pickups

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 20, 2014, 02:25:57 PM »
LOTR is an undisputed classic... never read any Lovecraft...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #63 on: July 20, 2014, 03:44:29 PM »
Harrison's book Bill the Galactic Hero is a favorite of mine.  ("It's always bowb your buddy time!")

I've read Tolkien repeatedly, although I've found his works other than The Hobbit and the Trilogy either impenetrable or unable to hold my interest.

Lovecraft pretty much invented his own genre, I think.  Other writers followed his lead  in the SF field, but his stuff may relate more closely to Norse and Greek mythology in many respects than to literature of the early 20th century.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 22, 2014, 04:36:18 PM »
I read the Silmarilion as a duty and it lurks in a box somewhere in the loft...

I have a 1st ed of Dune (BC copy, but same artwork and cover, but a 1/4 of the cost) that sits rather nicely on the shelf...

I rarely read these days and only occasionally buy a title... that may change once the library exists...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #65 on: July 22, 2014, 04:39:17 PM »
I read the Silmarilion as a duty and it lurks in a box somewhere in the loft...

That's a pretty difficult duty.  Sheesh.  :P
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

pilgrim9

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 08, 2014, 06:23:52 PM »
I have a few autographs, Les Paul, Joe Walsh, Jim Marshall, Lemmy, Stu Ham and a bunch more but most important, the God of Thunder! I met him in the bar at the Anaheim Hilton and he was the nicest guy ever. I went up and thanked him for being a major influence and the quest for "the Tone". When I mentioned "the Tone" his eyes lit up and he removed a brunette from one leg, set me down and ordered up drinks. We talked like old buds about the new amps he was getting, basses, vintage guitars and "the Tone" for quite a while. Absolutely the nicest guy in the world to a awe struck stranger. He signed a napkin and it lives in a bass string pack as it should.
If you push something hard enough it must fall over.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 09, 2014, 01:45:35 PM »
Scott gives autographs...? :mrgreen: