Author Topic: 335 Bass  (Read 21849 times)

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Re: 335 Bass
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2013, 05:21:57 AM »

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2013, 05:55:07 AM »
 Sounds like a keeper Bill!
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2013, 06:02:38 AM »
Cool!

And the Verythin Bass sure has bindings!

http://www.beatlebassdealer.com/Hofner-Basses-2011/hofner-verythin-bass.png

Hofner sure does make beautiful hollow body instruments.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2013, 06:04:27 AM »
Sounds like a keeper Bill!

Yep, so far she's a winner by all of the measures that count to me.  She isn't your father's old EB-2, that's for sure!

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2013, 01:51:31 PM »
I spoke to the head of the Nashville Gibson CS. This is their first bass. It looks very cool in real life and there was a sunburst on the Messe. Maybe it's already discussed here, but it has guitar humbuckers:) He said an EB2 follows in '14.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2013, 04:50:29 PM »
I spoke to the head of the Nashville Gibson CS. This is their first bass. It looks very cool in real life and there was a sunburst on the Messe. Maybe it's already discussed here, but it has guitar humbuckers:) He said an EB2 follows in '14.

Well, I love this bass after all.  While I love the old hum bucker in the original EB2, this bass is growing on me.  As for tone and output, it really rocks.  No feedback at high volumes while standing right in front of my rig.  And the e-string is loud and strong!  I am impressed with this bass.  A nice unplanned replacement for my gretsch long scale.

Oh boy, an EB2 in 2014?  The guys are killing me!  I never dreamed that they would even do one hollow body again, let alone a string of them.   Looking forward to the next one!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2013, 03:49:30 AM »
PS Mr. RIC.  See, it's not that hard to take a guitar body and build a bass around it.  Duh.  :P

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2013, 03:53:54 AM »
It is the Memphis CS. Made a mistake.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2013, 02:32:49 PM »
It is the Memphis CS. Made a mistake.

No problem, we knew what you meant.  The Memphis factory is really a great tour, I highly recommend it.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2013, 05:03:07 AM »
Changed the string on the 335 to D'Addario Chromes and took it to practice last night.  Wow, did it sound great!  The thing that surprised me about the Chromes was how alive they sounded, not too thumpy at all.  A really good alternative to the over priced TIs I tend to favor and low enough tension for me to enjoy.

I cut right through the mix with this bass.  The pups in this thing are huge!  They really remind me of TB pups in my reverse birds.  They may be guitar pups, but they sure are at home with the construction of this bass.  Again, I was surprised that I didn't get any feedback at high volumes, standing right in front of my rig.  I wishI could accurately describe the tone I'm getting with this thing, but it really does take me back 45 years.  It's partly the amp I'm sure, but this bass sounds like it was made for a tube amp and 15" speakers.  It's deep and rich sounding, but has plenty of highs to be heard above the din of a 3 piece band.  The other thing that really impresses me is the evenness of output across all 4 strings.  This bass shines in that department as well.

In spite of the little bit of extra effort it takes for me to play a 34" scale, I will be using this bass at every gig from now on.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2013, 01:02:34 PM »
 Bill stopped by with his 335 today and all I can say is wow! certainly the best offering of this new spate of Gibsons in the past few years. A great sounding and playing bass and what a beauty! My only gripe is upper register access. thanks for stopping by Bill!
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2013, 04:40:40 AM »
Bill stopped by with his 335 today and all I can say is wow! certainly the best offering of this new spate of Gibsons in the past few years. A great sounding and playing bass and what a beauty! My only gripe is upper register access. thanks for stopping by Bill!

It was great to see you Scott.  Lunch was super too.  I also got to see/play Carlo's blue NR, what a great bass.  Gibson could take some lessons from him.

I agree with Scott.  Gibson finally came out with a bass that really is a great mix of construction, playability and aesthetics.  It's a wonderful instrument.  Way to go Memphis!

fur85

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2013, 05:47:33 PM »
Some video of Luther Dickinson of the North Mississippi All Stars with the first ES-335 bass.

I like it!

TobaccoRipper

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2013, 05:46:52 AM »
First impressions:

!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2013, 06:47:35 AM »
Cool little video, thanks!