Author Topic: Gibson 12 string basss  (Read 6469 times)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Re: Gibson 12 string basss
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2013, 01:56:41 PM »
(flabbergasted) I play all my basses - a good harem needs to be kept busy.

I'm feeling a little jilted  :-[

;) 
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2013, 03:31:03 PM »
I don't know why; you should know that he's got a roving eye by now, and that he enjoys variety in his life, but he does remains faithful to his inner circle, and I think it fair to say that you are certainly within his inner circle... ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2013, 03:51:20 PM »
I like the concept, but I don't believe the history of rock would need to be rewritten if no one had ever invented one. And I do believe that Cheap Trick's live bass sound would be better and more focussed if Herr Petersson played an off the rack 400 buck Ibanez four stringer rather than his 12-string monstrosities that do the soundman no favors. Whenever I have seen Cheap Trick, their bass sound has been one big hazy wall of slush.

But my unbuilt Gibson CS doubleneck bass Tower of Babylon tower would have an octaved D and G on the shortscale half.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2013, 03:55:52 PM »
... then again, sometimes he goes too far... (must be that eyrie that is his office/Babylonian tower)  ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2013, 10:13:17 PM »
I like the concept, but I don't believe the history of rock would need to be rewritten if no one had ever invented one. And I do believe that Cheap Trick's live bass sound would be better and more focussed if Herr Petersson played an off the rack 400 buck Ibanez four stringer rather than his 12-string monstrosities that do the soundman no favors. Whenever I have seen Cheap Trick, their bass sound has been one big hazy wall of slush.

But my unbuilt Gibson CS doubleneck bass Tower of Babylon tower would have an octaved D and G on the shortscale half.

Sad but...yes..I do agree...

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2013, 10:29:09 PM »

So it would be better in my hands. ;)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2013, 04:35:31 AM »
I'll let you have four of the octave strings so you can create  a 16-string bass. Why stop halfway?

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2013, 07:13:55 AM »
I'll let you have four of the octave strings so you can create  a 16-string bass. Why stop halfway?

Nah, 3 octave string would be too much, even for me.:) You can have it Uwe and I honestly hope that you'll get it someday. I think Tom would appreciate your collection if he saw it or heard about it. Has he?

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2013, 11:08:28 AM »
And I do believe that Cheap Trick's live bass sound would be better and more focussed if Herr Petersson played an off the rack 400 buck Ibanez four stringer rather than his 12-string monstrosities that do the soundman no favors.

It's been a while since I saw them but I saw CT a lot in the late 90s and early 2000s and Tom played half the show with a vintage reverse bird every time. His tone was such that it didn't sound worlds apart from the 12 strings he played during the other half, except yes, the birds sounded more focused. 

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2013, 11:53:42 AM »
Finally, a (not very good) pic of my similar-bodied prototype made of "primavera"-wood - I always though "primavera" was a certain type pf pizza but there you go.

"I'm feeling a little jilted  ..."

We've had this discussion before, Mark, with that Dutch good-for-nothing, don't you think that your very own taste in a particular type of men might have a little to do with your repeated fate?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 11:59:09 AM by uwe »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2013, 12:02:37 PM »
(flabbergasted) I play all my basses - a good harem needs to be kept busy.

EDIT: I play all my basses EDIT: to the extent they have left Seattle and/or New Ulm interim storage ...

You sticklers!!!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2013, 05:24:25 PM »

EDIT: I play all my basses EDIT: to the extent they have left Seattle and/or New Ulm interim storage ...

You sticklers!!!

Wait, what? Am I supposed to take it to New Ulm to prepare it for its trip overseas?

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2013, 06:49:19 PM »
For security reasons I have taken to decentrally storing parts of the collection in those two US States that out of sheer bad luck did not quite make it to belong to Canada!  :P

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2013, 07:16:16 PM »
"I'm feeling a little jilted  ..."

We've had this discussion before, Mark, with that Dutch good-for-nothing, don't you think that your very own taste in a particular type of men might have a little to do with your repeated fate?

I'm bad...........Just can't help it  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2013, 07:24:08 PM »
For security reasons I have taken to decentrally storing parts of the collection in those two US States that out of sheer bad luck did not quite make it to belong to Canada!  :P

Not likely! We have legal Pot and cheaper booze here. Even Pt. Roberts doesn't want to be Canadian  ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point_Roberts,_Washington