Author Topic: 50th Anniversay Thunderbird sighting!  (Read 16523 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
50th Anniversay Thunderbird sighting!
« on: March 14, 2013, 03:29:50 AM »
 I just saw pictures of the 50th anniversary Thunderbird at the H.O.G. yesterday! Bullion gold, with special black pg and .....................are you ready for this GOLD hardware! Same old same old black TB Plus pickups. Uwe, it's a shame you don't collect finishes  ;D. Available sometime between May and June.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 03:36:52 AM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
Re: 50th Anniversay Thunderbird sighting!
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 06:06:39 AM »
WOW. That's sounds so UNappealing.... What is their problem??? Does it have a big headstock?? Probably NO... I can't believe "Gold Hardware and a black pickguard" makes this a special bass... Sounds like a real disappointment...

mc2NY

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 08:32:08 AM »
Yeah....You would think Gibson would do a CORRECT 50th Anniversary TBird, with the correct large headstock and PUPs and the original body contour...or at least ALL gold hardware, including the PUPs.  But it's bogus without the original headstock and metal PUP covers of some color.

I also imagine no TBird II version?

Black plastic....BLEECK!!!

Maybe Henry owns a big black plastic vibrator he loves?

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 08:53:41 AM »
Darn Tootin'! We try to be loyal to the brand and Gibson just keeps slapping us bass players in the face. C'mon everybody, grab your torches and pitchforks and head to Nashville!
and then we'll get Henry J
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 09:04:12 AM »
Gold paint AND gold hardware? Hmm... Pass...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 09:05:51 AM »

A pic of it would be nice, but I'd have to agree a 50th Anniversery 'Bird just isn't going to be "right" with black plastic parts...................

Chrome Rules!   Accept no substitute  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

stiles72

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 09:46:43 AM »
No one should expect a "new" Thunderbird to have an oversized headstock, or vintage spec pups. Might get lucky on the chrome hardware someday (ala the regular Studios) but the smaller headstock is a design improvement that isn't going away; and neither are the black TB+ pickups. That all said - I'm interested to see this one.  There was a bullion gold custom shop bird  on Ebay a while ago:

« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 09:56:30 AM by stiles72 »

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 10:25:55 AM »
I agree with one of Uwe's earlier statements that Gibson has actually done a lot for bassists in the past couple of years. The RD, Grabber, Ripper, G-3 and NR T-bird reissues and a few others.

Mostly, I think the complaints that they do nothing for bassists REALLY should be translated as "they do nothing for old T-bird users who want old, but new, T-birds".

;D
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 11:13:35 AM »

I like how the newer ones play just fine and I don't mind the small headstock either. But, I really like the look of clover tuners like Hipshots - I'd pay a little more if Gibson used them no problem. I personally like the 3 point bridge, but they have a two point that was used on the Les Paul OSB, why not use it? Obviously they can chrome plate pickups, they did on the Flying V........ They just need to get it together instead of shooting themselves in the foot yet again.

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 11:37:56 AM »
No one should expect a "new" Thunderbird to have an oversized headstock, or vintage spec pups. Might get lucky on the chrome hardware someday (ala the regular Studios) but the smaller headstock is a design improvement that isn't going away; and neither are the black TB+ pickups. That all said - I'm interested to see this one.  There was a bullion gold custom shop bird  on Ebay a while ago:

Is it me, or does that headstock look bigger than average?
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 11:49:57 AM »
It's the Maxwell Smart Business plan "missed it by this much".  Gold with chrome and a traditional w/b/w pg would be killer. And while their at it use the two piece bridge w/ tailpiece. You really have to wonder wtf they are thinking.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2013, 12:39:47 PM »
They're thinking let's throw out a product with the same parts (3 point bridge) we use on a bunch of other basses to save cost, use more plastic because it's cheaper, put no effort into reproducing the sixties pickup because it would be to costly to produce, then throw a Gibson badge on it and suckers still line up to buy it.     
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2013, 12:49:35 PM »
 Then I guess we should stop buying them.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2013, 12:57:27 PM »
Scott...! Heresy...! :o

Wash your mouth out with soap...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2013, 01:05:59 PM »
"but the smaller headstock is a design improvement that isn't going away"

Amen - no one here has yet explained to me what acoustic benefit the larger headstock brought. I know that it broke more easily though. Anything to stay original, right?  :mrgreen:

"Mostly, I think the complaints that they do nothing for bassists REALLY should be translated as "they do nothing for old T-bird users who want old, but new, T-birds"."

Doupleplusgood-Amen, sums the reactionary forces here up perfectly.

I might make an exception from my solemn vow for this one - who knows?
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...