Author Topic: Hipshot Supertone installed on Thunderbird.  (Read 4415 times)

doombass

• View Profile
Hipshot Supertone installed on Thunderbird.
« on: June 20, 2008, 03:28:30 PM »
I'm not the first (rockinray duke has one right?)but I got myself an Aluminum Hipshot Supertone and decided to install it on my already refinned and beat up Bicentennial. This is the best playing and sounding bass I have IMO but considering the "may leave marks on body" clause I decided this was the one including the fact that the bridge was already down to the body for perfect action. After installation I noticed that the response and sound was almost the same. Maybe some more sustain and attack and I got the action a bit more lowered if I want to. The best thing about it is it is more comfortable with no saddles up your palm when picking  near the bridge. I hesitated at first to buy and install it since I did'nt want to alter the sound too much but if you think the 3 point is a hassle (I don't) to adjust this might be the right bridge for you. Maybe the higher mass brass version alters the sound more?

Edit: Haha. The pic also reveals some of my recent project but there's more to come when I finished it. Got a Victory Artist that I traded for a an amp.

ramone57

• View Profile
Re: Hipshot Supertone installed on Thunderbird.
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 04:36:46 PM »
looks good!  almost too shiny compared to the pickup covers, but it's nice and doesn't lookout of place.

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 04:47:38 PM »
It's definitly shinier than the pup covers but those are really dull (compared to my other Bicie) and go well with the overall condition of the bass. that is why I have'nt installed the NOS ones I got off Ebay. Here's another pic from a different angle:

rockinrayduke

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 06:04:19 PM »
Yessir, I "had" one too (I sold that Bird) and I was VERY pleased with it. Now considering getting one for my ObG Bird, all the chrome has convinced me!. The old 3 point's A and D saddles just a little too high for me with the Elixirs. The Supertone looks cool and is very easy to adjust. Plus cheaper at Wymore Guitars.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 11:17:43 PM »
Hey, is that in chrome? i want one!

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2008, 04:21:29 PM »
Sure is chrome. I bought mine at Basspartsresource (100.79$). I looked at the Wymore site and it's 99$. I also had a look at Hipshot's website and appearantly they offer it in aluminum only. Maybe I mixed things up but I recalled they initially offered a brass version as well.

rockinrayduke

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2008, 08:04:33 PM »
Hipshot makes one in black, that's the one I had.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 03:45:09 AM »
The difference isn't huge, but can be heard. But it did not have me swap my TB fleet from three point to supertone, I have the supertone just on my Blackbird where it kind of fits the look and style too.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...