Author Topic: Petersson's Gibson 12-String Bass  (Read 2536 times)

leftybass

• View Profile
Petersson's Gibson 12-String Bass
« on: February 13, 2013, 08:31:17 AM »
Anyone see it in the article in the latest VG?
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2014 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2013 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2012 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2011 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2010 Austin Music Poll

Proud owner of Dee Murray's Steinberger.

planetgaffnet

• View Profile
    • Nancy Johnson
Re: Petersson's Gibson 12-String Bass
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 02:39:56 PM »
Excuse my ignorance but what's VG?  :-\
P
The future I come from no longer exists.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 02:44:39 PM »
Vintage Guitar mag...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

planetgaffnet

• View Profile
    • Nancy Johnson
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 02:54:28 PM »
Aah, OK.  Lefty.  Care to enlighten us on this side of the pond?  Has he scored a deal with Gibson now?  What's the story?

I'm a little aghast at the basses TP goes through.  I did some work for Waterstone a few years back and got a series one TP-12 as a result (to be honest, it's a monster and rarely leaves home).  More recently he's been doing deals with Hofner, Lull and Vaccaro.  I love Cheap Trick as much as anyone my age but always thought of TP as a solid, albeit adequate player, with an unusual choice of main instrument...shocked me all these companies doing back flips to sign him up.
P

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 05:00:59 PM »
I haven't seen it yet. The cover story is about Duck Dunn's basses. I do see reference to stories about Tom Petersson and Lemmy among others.

The website's newswire also has a brief about the passing of Dave Clark Five bassist Rick Huxley this past Monday.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 05:37:51 PM »
They obviously needed a replacement for Nikki S, now AWOL with Spector. If this spawns an available 12 string TP Signature model, then who am I too argue?
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

planetgaffnet

• View Profile
    • Nancy Johnson
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 04:05:15 AM »
There's a slideshow on the Premier Guitar website - a dozen photos and only one 12-string (and it's not a Waterstone). 

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2013/Jan/GALLERY_Tom_Peterssons_Bass_Collection.aspx
P

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 05:30:08 AM »
  Very cool his Thunderbird has my Badbird Bridge installed! Made my morning :)
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2013, 06:21:12 AM »
It's really funny How Much the headstock on the 12ver resembles the layout I did on my NR T bird 8 strings...I know it was a one off Custom shop made by one of their Luthiers...I forget the name...Phil Jones?? Man..I wish I had a job..I'd be back making basses.....My bridges and pickups were better quality than the ones on that 12ver...

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 11:04:48 AM »
Forgive my doubtfulness, but what is the value or appeal of a 12-string bass? Maybe that's part of the reason why Cheap Trick mostly leaves me flat.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

planetgaffnet

• View Profile
    • Nancy Johnson
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2013, 01:06:44 PM »
Forgive my doubtfulness, but what is the value or appeal of a 12-string bass? Maybe that's part of the reason why Cheap Trick mostly leaves me flat.

I've found it a difficult beast to handle.  Clean, anything above a C on the G strings is a bit comical...the octaves ringing almost mandolinesque.  Semi dirt (Sansamp) and it's the opposite; the low register is muddy and the high register almost guitar like.  The best I've got is through an old Boss ODB3, just flat out distortion and roll it on off to suit.  Don't get me wrong, my TP12 is lovely, but it doesn't really suit what I play (pop/punk stuff) and sits unhappily in the mix, hence it stays at home a lot.
P

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2013, 02:31:23 PM »
Yep, the Gibson luthier was Phil Jones.

For a 12 string to bring full effect, you need to construct the parts of the other instruments around it, it is at the time dominant and fragile in its acoustics. I don't believe Cheap Trick do that, TP is neither much of an arranger nor their key songwriter. So he plays bass on it like he would in a simple way on a four string. And sometimes it works and more often it doesn't, adding nothing.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2013, 02:40:09 PM »
I've found it a difficult beast to handle.  Clean, anything above a C on the G strings is a bit comical...the octaves ringing almost mandolinesque.  Semi dirt (Sansamp) and it's the opposite; the low register is muddy and the high register almost guitar like.  The best I've got is through an old Boss ODB3, just flat out distortion and roll it on off to suit.  Don't get me wrong, my TP12 is lovely, but it doesn't really suit what I play (pop/punk stuff) and sits unhappily in the mix, hence it stays at home a lot.

Same here; my solution was just to let the strings go dead and it works. Aside from some tuning stability problems on the octave strings (which has more to do with my right hand than anything- I beat the SHIT outta my basses.) The bass strings are still fine. I have been considering extra-long scale guitar flatwounds for the on pair of the octaves but I don't play it enough to justify the hassle right now. I'm getting ready to start playing out again and I think my TP12 could prove very useful in filling out a power trio.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2013, 02:43:41 PM »
I haven't seen it yet. The cover story is about Duck Dunn's basses. I do see reference to stories about Tom Petersson and Lemmy among others.

The website's newswire also has a brief about the passing of Dave Clark Five bassist Rick Huxley this past Monday.

I've never actually had an issue of VG,  but the fact that they interviewed Herschel Yatovitz and put it one the cover sells me instantly. I LOVE that man's playing, and he's an awesome guy to boot! I have two autographs on my Chris Isaak poster; his is the second (the rest of the band hit the bus after the show.)

planetgaffnet

• View Profile
    • Nancy Johnson
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2013, 04:06:11 PM »
Same here; my solution was just to let the strings go dead and it works. Aside from some tuning stability problems on the octave strings (which has more to do with my right hand than anything- I beat the SHIT outta my basses.) The bass strings are still fine. I have been considering extra-long scale guitar flatwounds for the on pair of the octaves but I don't play it enough to justify the hassle right now. I'm getting ready to start playing out again and I think my TP12 could prove very useful in filling out a power trio.

We're a power trio with a singer :)

The 12 has never properly fit with anything I've done, but that said the Boss pedal is a new thing and I've not really tried it properly.  I'm of the mind to just take the Waterstone to a jam and muddle through until something tonally beneficial comes up.  Won't be for a couple of weeks as I have hand surgery this Thursday - my third for a triggering issue, all different fingers - so I'll be off the bass for a couple of weeks :(
P