Author Topic: EB1 capacitor  (Read 8131 times)

westen44

• View Profile
Re: EB1 capacitor
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2013, 11:10:54 AM »
^
A force of nature.  A term that Jack Bruce used to describe Jimi Hendrix.  Also applicable to the EB-1, but for different reasons, of course. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2013, 12:22:22 PM »
It's a force of nature. The compactness and thickness of its violin body and the mud bludgeoning out of it make it one hell of a combination.

The thickness sure has something to do with it. I wonder if it's also possible that the long body and the bridge location well away from the end of the body contribute to the different sound (from an EB-0).

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2013, 08:22:22 PM »
It's the Stradivarius of Gibson electric basses. That thick block of Honduras Mahogany with a Mudbucker strapped to it gives it balls to be reckond with! Too bad there are only 473 to go around! (Reissues that is). I wonder how many have actually survived over 40 years of Rock & Roll........... ???
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2013, 08:26:43 PM »
While it wasn't a Gibson, I really did love this bass when I had it.  It was one of my projects that turned out nicely.  It's one that I'd buy back, if I knew where it was.

Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2013, 11:39:02 PM »
Personally, I really like the way a T-Bird and an EB-1 look.  The EB-0 and EB-3--not so much. 
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 12:16:34 AM by westen »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2013, 03:40:53 AM »
While it wasn't a Gibson, I really did love this bass when I had it.  It was one of my projects that turned out nicely.  It's one that I'd buy back, if I knew where it was.

I'm happy with mine!!! "God-Saw of Thunder" got it for me from the HOG. It's a really nice fretless to play, E string ain't exactly mighty with its medium (not short) scale and the pup is a bit tame, but I've left everything (including the immaculate 3 point bridge, mein Herr, you will be punished for your careless sins, no doubt!) as is, it fits together as a combo. Whenever I play it, I think "Macca would have probably liked this". Of course it has nothing to do with how real EBs sound, with its balsa  ??? wood body or whatever, but it has a resonant little voice of its own.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 04:12:47 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2013, 04:21:08 AM »
Personally, I really like the way a T-Bird and an EB-1 look.  The EB-0 and EB-3--not so much.  

The SG shape is not exactly a bassy look, especially in its original flimsy strength. I do like the phattened up 70ies models better.

That said, Frankfurt Musik Messe is approaching fast and I hope to employ new found contacts for my unfulfilled Tower of Babylon project, the Doubleneck SG Bass with fretless longscale and short scale fretted with D and G octaved. I'll learn the intro of STH  for it too!!! My last count was (about) 110 Gibson basses (not counting Epis, Orvilles and Kalamazooomphs) - does no one have a friggin heart in Nashville?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 04:26:25 AM by uwe »

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2013, 07:11:57 AM »
The SG shape is not exactly a bassy look, especially in its original flimsy strength. I do like the phattened up 70ies models better.

That said, Frankfurt Musik Messe is approaching fast and I hope to employ new found contacts for my unfulfilled Tower of Babylon project, the Doubleneck SG Bass with fretless longscale and short scale fretted with D and G octaved. I'll learn the intro of STH  for it too!!! My last count was (about) 110 Gibson basses (not counting Epis, Orvilles and Kalamazooomphs) - does no one have a friggin heart in Nashville?

Dedicated to those in Nashville who need to have a heart.

--Blaise Pascal

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2013, 08:59:49 AM »
Of course, his has mods, but it's obvious Jack Bruce does have a fondness for his EB-1.  Besides using it for half the reunion concerts, probably a lesser known fact is that he featured it on one of the segments on his instructional video. 

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2013, 09:33:23 AM »
What mods other than real tuners and the Schaller Königstiger Behemoth bridge? His is a fifties model, but he has stuck with the singlecoil. I believe he started using it with Ringo, when he wanted a bass that looked "Beatlish", yet still felt somehow familiar in sound.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 12:09:32 PM by uwe »

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2013, 11:05:13 AM »
What mods other than real tuners and the Schaller Königstiger Behemoth bridge? His is a fifties model, but he has stuck with the singlecoil. I believe he started using it with Ringo, when he wanted a bass that looked "Beatlish", yet felt somehow familiar in sound.

I have no idea where the article is where I read about the mods.  I just remember it was slightly more extensive than I was expecting.  Also, it does appear that there had been some confusion over exactly what had been done.  So, some speculation was being used by whoever was discussing this.  I knew, of course, that he had played with Ringo's band, but I didn't realize that's when he started using the EB-1.  It makes sense, though, to have used it under those conditions. 

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2013, 12:03:37 PM »
Maybe the Pappalardi mod? I have a Felix pre-owned fifties EB-1 (not his No 1, that gathers French Fries grease in Toronto's Hard Rock Café), refinned cherry while he was still alive, and it has a notched tone pot (I heard he did that on all his EBs) which starting from the middle position attempts to change the original singlecoil sound to humbucker mud mania. Not quite there, but it tries hard.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2013, 01:37:32 PM »
Maybe the Pappalardi mod? I have a Felix pre-owned fifties EB-1 (not his No 1, that gathers French Fries grease in Toronto's Hard Rock Café), refinned cherry while he was still alive, and it has a notched tone pot (I heard he did that on all his EBs) which starting from the middle position attempts to change the original singlecoil sound to humbucker mud mania. Not quite there, but it tries hard.

I could be mistaken, but I think I remember reading something Aussie Mark made about Jack's EB-1 on another board.  He is the one who needs to be asked about this most likely.  Please page Aussie Mark over the intercom. 

--Blaise Pascal