Author Topic: EB1 capacitor  (Read 8132 times)

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
Re: EB1 capacitor
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2013, 08:35:47 PM »
Well worth a visit - I've had a DVD of this one for years now - some clever twists...

I remember liking that one.  Vincent D'Onofrio stars, as I recall.  I may be in the minority of one who loved Independence Day.  I think Emmerich captured the spirit of the old '50s sci-fi films without taking it so far into the effects that the story got lost. It was high-tech cheese all the way.  Emmerich was also executive producer of The Patriot.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2013, 11:21:58 PM »
its hard to imagine that .01 capacitor across the pickup doing anything helpful to the tone.has anyone tried it without?
Louder bass!.

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2013, 07:02:49 AM »
its hard to imagine that .01 capacitor across the pickup doing anything helpful to the tone.has anyone tried it without?

You could check this video, he uses a .01 in one of the settings. Ofcourse its a different pickup, with much less windings than the Mudmeister, but you could get an idea.

Generally, I think that pickups with lesser windings are more "sensitive" to different capacitor values.

edit: forgot the link, where's my mind?

« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 08:01:14 AM by exiledarchangel »
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2013, 07:49:33 AM »
The caps look like they're wired the same to me. What do you think is different?

There is a bar inked on one side of the cap identifying polarity, yours is wired opposite of mine.
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2013, 08:03:32 AM »
I remember liking that one.  Vincent D'Onofrio stars, as I recall.  I may be in the minority of one who loved Independence Day.  I think Emmerich captured the spirit of the old '50s sci-fi films without taking it so far into the effects that the story got lost. It was high-tech cheese all the way.  Emmerich was also executive producer of The Patriot.

Independence Day was a good popcorn munching movie. See it be, be entertained and forget it.

The issue with The Patriot was that Emmerich had the Brit troops act like the Waffen SS in the East in that movie - there is however no historic evidence for British troops behaving like that in the Independence War. At least the English think so!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2013, 10:13:47 AM »
The Patriot was a crappy movie.  Totally hated it.  The only people I was around who liked it were females. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2013, 11:45:13 AM »
There is a bar inked on one side of the cap identifying polarity, yours is wired opposite of mine.

I see what you mean now Grog. I think Psycho Bass Guy said earlier that if the polarity is wired incorrectly, the bass won't produce any sound. My bass produces plenty of sound so I'm not sure what effect my cap with the reverse installed painted stripe has if any. Please don't get an aneurysm thinking about it too hard. Maybe someone else with greater knowledge can offer us an explaination.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2013, 12:38:07 PM »
He also said that the cap is an electrolytic, they are generally polarity sensitive. (is that a real term?) It may not make any difference in this application. If it works it's gotta be right, I was just curious..............

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2013, 01:48:14 PM »
I hear ya. I think it's odd as well. Maybe my cap is bi-polar   ;D

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2013, 03:40:07 PM »
Nuts...

Gary mentioned ID which I've watched several times; also 2012 and Day After Tomorrow... I looked up his IMDB list and had forgotten that he was responsible for Stargate too, which I also consider to be a great movie...

Talking movies and spin-off's...

buysoylentgreen

Horse burgers are making the news here too...
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 04:03:07 PM by HERBIE »
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2013, 03:56:26 PM »
He also said that the cap is an electrolytic, they are generally polarity sensitive. (is that a real term?) It may not make any difference in this application. If it works it's gotta be right, I was just curious..............

From a little research:

Generally film capacitors are not polarized, but some have a marking on one lead. Many caps have/had a marking indicating the side of the cap that'd best be connected to the most low-Z point of the circuit.

In the tone control of a guitar it wouldn't make any difference.

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2013, 05:31:03 PM »
From a little research:

Generally film capacitors are not polarized, but some have a marking on one lead. Many caps have/had a marking indicating the side of the cap that'd best be connected to the most low-Z point of the circuit.

In the tone control of a guitar it wouldn't make any difference.

Thanks!  8)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2013, 06:37:50 PM »
To give the little pecker bass some credit: As usual inspired by this thread, I had my RI EB-1 with me today at the rehearsal, together with a Stingray (mag/piezio), the Grabber II, the Lee Sklar (I know I have derided that bass in the past, I have now strung it with Ernie Ball Cobalt Slinkies and wow!, it has brought nice midrange on that active EMG driven bass like it never had before). Anyway, three (or two and half if you don't count in the passive Grabber II) modern basses with treble and the works, but when I dug out the EB-1 threateningly for the last few songs (among them our cover of The Cranberries chestnut "Zombie"), man, what a primal, lustful, archaic and one of a kind experience it was once again!!!! Bemuddled I was! All hail thee, lil' EBee!!! No bass has a voice like you.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2013, 10:04:24 PM »
Just came back from an open mike and brought my EB1 as well. Used it for everything from Tom Petty to Sublime and Stevie Wonder and everybody was digging the sound through a GK 400rb no less! The amp was the house bassist's and I let him play the EB1 also. He didn't want to put it down and kept jamming while his jazz bass sat in the corner.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2013, 06:46:38 AM »
It's a force of nature. The compactness and thickness of its violin body and the mud bludgeoning out of it make it one hell of a combination.