Author Topic: EB1 capacitor  (Read 8133 times)

4stringer77

• View Profile
EB1 capacitor
« on: February 09, 2013, 10:52:31 AM »
Got buried in snow here in NH so figured it was a good time to ask around about my EB1's capacitor.
It looks like this outside my window

here's brown Betty

here's the cap

My query, does the .033 cap look stock? If not is there a better cap for this bass? Thanks, Ari  :)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 02:57:45 PM by 4stringer77 »
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
Re: EB1 capacitor
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 08:15:24 PM »
My bass has a .033 cap also, but it looks older...........

There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 09:23:22 AM »
We're talking about the 69 reissue, right? I can look at mine tomorrow.

You're not telling me you want to brighten up that thing's sound, are you?!!! Unlike the fifties ones which low mid growlers, the 69 EB RI are "mothers of mud" in the same vein as the EB-0/-3 and EB-2 from that late sixties era are. Subwoof Godzillas!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 09:33:58 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 09:39:19 AM »

They are both reissues.................... I couldn't help but notice that the capacitors are soldered in differently on these two basses. I don't think they are electrolytic, but they have a bar on one side as if they are polarized.  ??? ??? ???

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 10:01:33 AM »

You're not telling me you want to brighten up that thing's sound, are you?!!! Unlike the fifties ones which low mid growlers, the 69 EB RI are "mothers of mud" in the same vein as the EB-0/-3 and EB-2 from that late sixties era are. Subwoof Godzillas!

That's a very colorful way to put it:  subwoof Godzillas.  LOL.  Speaking of which, I saw "Godzilla" for the first time on cable recently.  Great acting.  The (real) French actors on there were very good at making French sound authentic.  Also, Godzilla's acting was pretty touching. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 10:29:37 AM »

It makes sense that they would sound similar as they have similar pickups and wiring.

I have a book of schematics for Gibson basses from the Seventies. It would appear that these EB1s are wired the same as the EBOs with a .033 and .01 cap. The schematic for the EB1 shows a .02 and .01 cap. The .01 cap in both cases is wired in parallel to the pickup and only shows up on these two basses.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 10:31:26 AM »
Yes mine is a 69 reissue and I love all it's muddy glory especially when overdriving some tubes. I just figured my cap looked a little too new and must have been replaced at some point. Had a crappy solder connection that needed to be touched up but didn't move anything around. I can see a 68 on one of my pots and the serial number on the back of the headstock is 543151 which dates it 69' I think. Nice one you got there Grog. I'm curious about acquiring a 50's version some day. There's one at Gruhn that's been there forever. Seems like a good player and the $3,500 asking price doesn't seem that unreasonable.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 10:37:13 AM »
They are both reissues.................... I couldn't help but notice that the capacitors are soldered in differently on these two basses. I don't think they are electrolytic, but they have a bar on one side as if they are polarized.  ??? ??? ???

They ARE electrolytics. The newer one is a Sprague Orange Drop.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 11:25:46 AM »
Thanks everyone. To quote Jack Bruce from SWLABR, "such good responses". Incidentally Uwe, the EB3 mudbucker in position 1 has even less treble than the EB1 due to the tone choke, but I'm sure you knew that.

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2013, 01:24:28 PM »
They ARE electrolytics. The newer one is a Sprague Orange Drop.

Does it matter which way they are wired? which one is correct???

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2013, 02:40:27 PM »
I pretty much hate people who have Gibson EB-1 basses, although special hatred is reserved for those who have a 50s model in really good condition. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2013, 03:12:36 PM »
I pretty much hate people who have Gibson EB-1 basses, although special hatred is reserved for those who have a 50s model in really good condition. 

I wanted a 50's model in really good condition, but people in hell want ice water!!! My first EB-1 reissue only cost me $450.00. I should have bought an original at that time before the price skyrocketed...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2013, 05:04:45 PM »
I wanted a 50's model in really good condition, but people in hell want ice water!!! My first EB-1 reissue only cost me $450.00. I should have bought an original at that time before the price skyrocketed...

I wish I had bought the one you traded to Willie's. IIRC it was only about $1300 at the time (late 90s).

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2013, 05:05:55 PM »

This is what it's like to live a tortured existence.  The agony of it all.  

--Blaise Pascal

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2013, 05:18:59 PM »
I wish I had bought the one you traded to Willie's. IIRC it was only about $1300 at the time (late 90s).

I never did see what he sold it for. I think he was asking $1350.00 for the one I have now, it was a consignment from a gal whose husband had passed away if I recall correctly.
Nate has a 1965 EB-2 for sale for $3,000.00......................ouch!! I paid $230.00 for my '67 used in 1974! Must be getting old!!