Author Topic: The Reversed headstock of the C64 model.  (Read 11108 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: The Reversed headstock of the C64 model.
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2008, 06:39:55 AM »
"I can justify upside-down Strat headstocks even without Hendrix, they have different string tension with those headstocks."

Hasn't Herr Westheimer relegated that to the myth department? On an identical scale, the tension of two equally gauged strings tuned to the same note will always be the same (manufacturing differences between the strings excepted) irrespective whether they end directly after bridge and nut or still go on for a while. What's beyond the bridge saddle and nut is irrelevant except for saddle and nut pressure me thought. (Dave Westheimer citation needed.)  :mrgreen:

Uwe
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2008, 07:03:14 AM »
It makes sense. So the "Compensator" tailpiece, that didn't work either?

The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2008, 07:06:43 AM »
You mean RIC had lefty headstocks in the earlier days?
They didn't, but if I was going to give a lefty bass to the guy from the Beatles, I think I'd have someone in the factory custom make a mirror-image headstock and nameplate for that bass.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2008, 08:16:48 AM »
The tension doesn't change. The feel certainly changes. I read elsewhere that the proper physics term for this is compliance.

If you have the chance to compare normal and reversed headstock Strats at the same time, you'll be able to tell the difference. Or if you have a guitar with a locking nut, by comparing the feel of your longest string with the string clamped and unclamped.

But the pounds of tension needed to bring the string to pitch won't change.

Blazer

« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2008, 01:18:24 PM »
The tension doesn't change. The feel certainly changes. I read elsewhere that the proper physics term for this is compliance.

If you have the chance to compare normal and reversed headstock Strats at the same time, you'll be able to tell the difference. Or if you have a guitar with a locking nut, by comparing the feel of your longest string with the string clamped and unclamped.

But the pounds of tension needed to bring the string to pitch won't change.

Well I don't know if the reversed headstock makes a significant influence on the way a strat plays but my Voodoo Strat IS my best sounding guitar.

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2008, 03:10:49 PM »
The string length in relation to the nut and bridge does have an effect on the instrument.  I can't remember the physics involved, but the reason a MM Stinkray has the G tuner where it does was that Fender figured out that dead spots on a P bass were a result of the longer G string.  Moving it changed the tension with it in tune, and got rid of the dead spot.  Somebody will know what it involves.  So - from all I recall - a compensator tailpiece does effect the instrument, as does reversing the headstock.  Maybe minor, but I don't think it is a myth.  But then again I don't recall all the details either.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2008, 05:39:35 PM »
Maybe that's what MM claimed at some point long ago, but I've found all sorts of basses with the "Fender dead spot" including my Gibson EB-0L with it's 2+2 headstock and the occasional MM. I don't think string length has anything to do with dead spots.

Blazer

« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2008, 05:43:24 PM »
The string length in relation to the nut and bridge does have an effect on the instrument.  I can't remember the physics involved, but the reason a MM Stinkray has the G tuner where it does was that Fender figured out that dead spots on a P bass were a result of the longer G string.  Moving it changed the tension with it in tune, and got rid of the dead spot.  Somebody will know what it involves.  So - from all I recall - a compensator tailpiece does effect the instrument, as does reversing the headstock.  Maybe minor, but I don't think it is a myth.  But then again I don't recall all the details either.
If that's really the case here then why did Leo Fender return to using a four-in-line headstock for his Post-musicman G&L basses?

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2008, 12:53:50 AM »
I believe the reason for that is that Music Man owned the design - not Leo Fender or his own company which manufactured them for Music Man.  Even though he did design it.  The leap from the Sting Ray to the L-1000 is pretty tiny, and in general the differences are the lack of active controls and the headstock design reverting to an older Fender vibe.  MM would probably have sued if G&L had those features, and Fender did sue G&L for using the older headstock.  The L-1000 is an altered Sting Ray the way that bass was an altered Mustang.

But then this is wavering way of Rickenbacker territory.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.