Author Topic: 60's EB-3 Handrest  (Read 3634 times)

66Atlas

• View Profile
60's EB-3 Handrest
« on: January 20, 2013, 09:37:38 PM »
I've got an early '67 eb-3 ('66 spec) and I've always wondered if the handrest is original. I've seen late 67's that have a handrest with a spacer underneath the top side to mimic the pickguard thickness on the bottom.  Mine has a handrest with no spacer and the bends of each end are offset to compensate for the picguard height.  Does anyone know what was corrrect or when if ever they switched the styles?

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
Re: 60's EB-3 Handrest
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 08:39:57 PM »
Pic or splain plz cause on  EB3s the thumbrest, if it has one,  is completly on the pickguard (eyebrow shaped rosewood thing below the mudbucker) and never any spacer underneath that I have seen.

If you're talking about the metal bridge cover, then yes, some Gibsons, sometimes have plastic spacers.  My Triumph that came with them (same bridge cover as an EB3), but I removed them because the added height made the case too snug in a worrisome way.  From what I understand either most people got rid of these (even if they kept the bridge cover), or Gibson just didn't bother with them except for certain periods (my Triumph is a 75).

I also don't understand the bit about them making it level with the pickguard, the rest is completely on it and the bridge cover is nowhere near touching it.  I always thought they were gaskets, like so as to not mar the finish (somewhat sharp metal edges).

It'd be easy enough to get some 1/8" plastic and trace a pair out.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 06:40:15 PM »
Actually I'm talkin about an early EB-3 with a central handrest (similar to the eb-2 and melody makers). The pic is a little fuzzy but I think you can see how it rests half on the pickguard and half on the body.

When I got the bass the handrest was in the case but not installed, I've got no reason to think it's not original I guess, but a lot of things can be changed in all those years.  I think the melody makes came with handrests that rested on the pickguard on both sides so it makes me wonder if there were two types and gibson just used up old stock of the flat type by making shims to fit the body half...Who knows, just curious what others have seen.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 07:25:30 AM »
 Early EB3s did have a palm rest/ string cover, most players took them off. I don't know if they used spacers or not. Jim Lea of Slade is one exception, he left his on and even had it replicated on his John Birch bass.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 01:53:42 PM »
Right, forgot about those.  It's the same part as a bridge cover on other models. 

Like I said I have the spacers for those (my Triumph came with 2 of them).  Easier to just DIY someting methinks, but I don't think it matters that much - doesn't look weird without it.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 02:00:59 PM »
 The palm rest is not the same part as the bridge cover. heres a good look on Jim Lea's EB3.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 02:07:37 PM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 02:30:25 PM »
I've always found those very convenient to rest my palm on.  It can actually help me play better.  It does appear that the great majority of people don't use them, though, or even want them.  Personally, however, I thank God for them. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 02:54:50 PM »
There's definately 2 different types, one that lays flat on both ends needing a spacer on one side and one that has a "leg" shorter to compensate for the pickguard.  Mine is the latter, I just think it's odd that I've never found any consistancy in what gibson presumably installed.....on second thought I probably shouldnt be shocked by that  :-\

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 03:40:53 PM »
Alright, nobody listen to a thing I say anymore ever. :-X