Author Topic: Nantucket Sleighride  (Read 4320 times)

4stringer77

• View Profile
Nantucket Sleighride
« on: January 16, 2013, 02:45:02 PM »
More Felix for my fellow bass players. Enjoy.

Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

4stringer77

• View Profile
Re: Nantucket Sleighride
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 02:56:16 PM »

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 03:16:12 PM »
 8)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 03:17:42 PM »
that's gonna be a project...

jazzbo58

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 01:00:11 PM »
Thanks for posting this song! One of my favorites.

Cheers,
Jim

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 05:32:56 PM »
My pleasure. It's my own transcription. I was hoping others would give their assessment of my work. This site is apparently comprised of musicians yet it seems no one wants to talk about any actual musical concepts. There is a wonderful potential for all of us to learn from one another here and this is part of my sincere attempt at getting the ball rolling. Thank you kindly Jim, glad you like it.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 09:34:57 PM »
My pleasure. It's my own transcription. I was hoping others would give their assessment of my work. This site is apparently comprised of musicians yet it seems no one wants to talk about any actual musical concepts. There is a wonderful potential for all of us to learn from one another here and this is part of my sincere attempt at getting the ball rolling. Thank you kindly Jim, glad you like it.

AFAIK we're all musicians here. People post here for various reasons; they're not any less musicians if they would rather discuss gear or their favorite bands than musical concepts.

I'm sure there are others who appreciate your transcriptions even if they haven't said so. OTOH not everyone learns bass parts by reading transcriptions, and those who do may have very different musical tastes.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 09:51:21 PM »
I can understand that not everyone has the same over zealous love for Mountain, Lynyrd Skynyrd and Cream as I and perhaps I shouldn't have taken such an accusatory tone, yet it would be nice if there was a little more engagement in musical discussion than I've seen, regardless of genre. Then again maybe I'm coming off as an academic wet blanket. Anybody up for in depth analysis of Schoenberg's dodecaphonic compositional technique? No? Well truthfully, neither am I.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 10:16:04 PM »
No, you're not coming off that way. Nobody whose sig line refers to EB1 Kenobi is a wet blanket.  :)

I don't want to speak for others, but I've been around forums long enough to see that musical concepts, techniques and theory usually take a back seat to gear talk, favorite artists and off-topic discussion. It's not good or bad, it just is.

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 06:27:32 AM »
I actually tried this transcription on my precision tuned BEAD...please continue to post them, if you don't mind...this one was real hard to play for me...course I haven't listened to the tune in probably 25 years...

I have been trying to get my reading skills back.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 07:15:52 AM »
Cool Patman. I'll keep em coming. It's become a compulsion for me to transcribe. You should take a crack at it too. I don't expect anyone here to analyze them and if I want that I should reserve it for my own private lessons. Dave is right, the forum is for fun. Now Alban Berg is a composer of the second Viennese school I can really get behind. I could listen to Wozzeck all day!

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 08:17:58 AM »
i wanna red bass... ;D
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2014, 07:44:11 AM »
The February 2014 issue of bass player magazine has a transcription of Nantucket Sleighride. I haven't seen it yet but am curious to see how close it is to my version. When I did this, I didn't use any programs like transcribe!, just a cd player with ff rw and pause.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2014, 08:04:02 AM »
buy a new gibson bass, your post will get plenty of action. schoenberg eh, now you are a academic wet blanket. ;D
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2014, 11:31:04 AM »
Well Nofi, I'm hoping my custom Gibsonesque Stambaugh will turn some heads eventually. Maybe I'll try my hand at making a vid with it playing one of my transcriptions. Now that I'm seeing someone again, I've been thinking "My Lady" from the same Nantucket Sleighride album could be a good choice.
Check us out.