Author Topic: The Animal Trainer & The Toad  (Read 3754 times)

4stringer77

• View Profile
The Animal Trainer & The Toad
« on: January 09, 2013, 02:56:49 PM »
Here's a fun tune to play on your bass. Felix Pappalardi's bassline for "The Animal Trainer And The Toad" by the band Mountain from their album Nantucket Sleighride.

This is the first time I tried this with finale notepad. I ended up printing and then scanning because I couldn't figure out how to upload the file as a pdf. If anyone has a suggestion how to do this, I'm all ears.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 03:07:25 PM by 4stringer77 »
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

patman

• View Profile
Re: The Animal Trainer & The Toad
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 03:39:10 PM »
it printed fine...sight reading tonite!  Thanks.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 04:45:42 PM »
You have far too much spare time... 8)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 05:29:37 PM »
This is what happens when you work a retail job that slows down in the winter, you don't have kids and your girlfriend works a 3 to 11:30pm shift as a nurse. Figuring out the line was pretty straight forward in this case but entering the data into a computer program was the tedious part. I'm open minded to requests if anyone's interested. It may help me get off my Felix kick for a while. It's remarkable how some of his parts can be so loud yet simultaneously incoherent. "Never In My Life" or "Travellin' In The Dark" for instance. Hope you enjoyed playing this Patman.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 07:30:22 PM »
'loud and incoherent'. that was the early seventies for 'ya. i think its called invisible bass. no, really.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 09:44:44 PM »
This is what happens when you work a retail job that slows down in the winter, you don't have kids and your girlfriend works a 3 to 11:30pm shift as a nurse. Figuring out the line was pretty straight forward in this case but entering the data into a computer program was the tedious part. I'm open minded to requests if anyone's interested. It may help me get off my Felix kick for a while. It's remarkable how some of his parts can be so loud yet simultaneously incoherent. "Never In My Life" or "Travellin' In The Dark" for instance. Hope you enjoyed playing this Patman.
It could be worse - no girlfriend and no musical ability!

Seriously though, thanks for the transcriptions - even though my sight reading is pathetic, I enjoy reading along - I feel like any insight into a part increases my enjoyment!

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 08:38:09 AM »
My pleasure, transcribing is a great exercise. Everyone should do it. If anyone's near Nashua, NH tonight you can catch me backing up the Hillsboro County Review at McKenzie's on Main St.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 11:53:54 AM »
You write those yourself?  :o :o :o

Maybe I'm amazed.

No, I am definitely amazed.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 12:46:26 PM »
It was nothing really. If you ever listen to the song, the bass line jumps right out and begs to be played. Recorded on a Thunderbird II with flats, or so I'm told by the current owner of that bass, Al Romano.

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2013, 06:30:24 PM »
was a joy to read through...have had to work at reading since changing to BEAD on the precision

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2013, 07:00:35 PM »
WOW!  I'm glad I finally checked in on this thread.  I went out to YouTube to hear the song.  It turns out that this is the song I've been trying to identify for a few months now.  It plays at my local Kroger over their piped in music all the time!  Thanks!
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2013, 08:40:01 PM »
WOW!  I'm glad I finally checked in on this thread.  I went out to YouTube to hear the song.  It turns out that this is the song I've been trying to identify for a few months now.  It plays at my local Kroger over their piped in music all the time!  Thanks!

Kroger must have changed a lot since the last time I was in one.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2013, 09:13:24 PM »
Kroger must have changed a lot since the last time I was in one.

I hear the wildest songs over the speakers at the grocery store - Planet Queen (T Rex), Bridge of Sighs (Robin Trower), A Little Bit of Sympathy (Robin Trower), Don't Believe a Word (Thin Lizzy), Stone Blue (Foghat), and I know there are a lot of other songs that I can't recall right now.   I'm sure I've heard some Blue Oyster Cult at one time or another.

The one that really got me, though, was over a decade ago in a Jewel outside Chicago, where I heard The Water Song by Hot Tuna.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2013, 09:49:30 PM »
I know how that works.  I've loved the Who number "Eminence Front" for years, but I didn't know the artist and thought it was a very recent funk or fusion number.  I was blown away to find out it was the Who.  Still one of my favorites.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2013, 09:36:27 AM »
Yep. You hear a song at different times and places and like it but can't quite place it, then finally you learn what it is and it all makes sense.

Like when Jim Carroll died and I posted a YT clip of People Who Died. Someone (Chris P?) had liked the song for years but never identified it until he saw the clip.

Anyway, I haven't been in a Kroger for decades; back then the only music you'd hear on the PA was the "let's go Krogering" jingle.