Author Topic: 92' LPB1 simple beauty  (Read 4085 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: 92' LPB1 simple beauty
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2013, 09:18:44 AM »
  The one I tried was dead and lifeless, didn't speak to me at all.
Yeah it does look like Leslie's LP Jr. They made these in tv yellow too, which would also be cool. G.O.T., curious why you didn't like it? I've heard Uwe describe them as sounding closer to an old thunderbird compared to the standards.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

hollowbody

• Been working in the Kremlin with a two headed dog.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2013, 09:46:59 AM »
I really like the sound of mine.  I wasn't expecting to like it as much as i do.  The sound reminds me of the 70's birds more so than the modern bird.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2013, 09:10:25 AM »
i have a '92 LPB-1 though mine's cherry red. i love it. it's a T-Bird in street clothes. great sounding bass and super comfy.

+1. Mine's a '94. My second favorite bass, next to my 4003S. Those early bursts were nasty. The teardrop shape is just weird to me. Maybe it would look better with a pickup right at the end of the fingerboard?

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2013, 10:17:23 AM »
The teardrop burst is classic Gibson. No bids at the $689 price but I have a feeling it would have said reserve not met. Has been re listed with a buy it now @ $999. I think the rusty bridge and G string are throwing people off along with the face marks and lack of original case. After I lost a bid on a figured top honey burst lpb3, I dropped some major coin on a new years vacation with my gf otherwise I would have bought this.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2013, 10:20:48 AM »
I like the Teardrops, but no collecting for fins for me. Mine is a run-of-the-mill cherry.  :-\
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2013, 04:14:57 PM »
You could selll the cherry and buy the teardrop...

A fin exchange is no robbery...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2013, 10:31:55 PM »
I got one of these! It is a really great instrument.  Are these mahogany? Whatever the body/neck wood, the combination with the ebony fretboard makes for my favorite unplugged tone of my basses.  I have come around to really liking the TB Plus pups too.

Not the easiest thing to play though... the way it hangs makes the neck feel a couple inches longer than it is, and the neck is thick, and it's heavy.
But for not too demanding material it's great.  I love the sound and the look.

Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2013, 02:59:24 AM »
Those are full maho. It was the final return to fulll maho construction with a new prominent series basses to Gibson in the early nineties after a decade of largely non-maho basses (RD, Victory, Flying V, 20/20) or at least maple-necked ones (explorer, Q-80/90) though IV/V and post-87 Bird had already started the trend in the late eighties. The Deluxe/LPB 2 and Standard/LPB 3 versions would have a maple top in addition.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...