Author Topic: "67 Thunderbird come to papa  (Read 5057 times)

eb2

• View Profile
Re: "67 Thunderbird come to papa
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2008, 06:22:50 PM »
Godspeed and let the healing begin!
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2008, 03:03:21 AM »
"I am going to restore the bass. That means no BA, no Model One and even no Model G ..."

Now, I'm seriously worried about him. This is not looking good.  :rolleyes:
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

ramone57

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2008, 06:05:51 AM »
nice score, Scott, and I'm sure you'll do a great job restoring it.   hope the move doesn't slow you down too much.

HornetAMX

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2008, 03:26:01 PM »
Excellent score!  I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product when restored. 

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2008, 04:33:02 PM »
Congratulations! Indeed a nice steal. I guess you will make it a II so next question. Refin? and if so what color?

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2008, 06:52:06 PM »
 I like IIs best and at first glance it looks like it started out as one. I will restore it as it to original weather a II or a IV. Color, I unsure maybe a Entwistle Fiesta Red, Pelham Blue or  Iverness Green. I want to get the mechanics right then I'll pick a color.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

OVERDRIVEN66

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2008, 09:18:22 AM »
     In looking at the auction pix, I see a volute on the back of the neck. Probably a rock solid repair to be sure. I was going to take a shot at it, but I thought it would take close to 2K to get it. That makes TWO NR Birds you stole, you dog!  Just like the lottery, you can't win if you don't play.  Can't wait to see the 'after' pix of the restoration!   Great score!!!   BTW, did you ever get your mint NR 'burst sold?
Former touring professional. 60's T-Birds 300 days a year on the road with an SVT. Bliss!!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2008, 04:10:32 PM »
 The mint NR tobacco burst was sold must be 4 years ago  >:( Wish I never had. The '67 on the way helps make up for it ! What other NR did I steal ? The $10 one ? It now looks like this
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2008, 07:14:51 AM »
Congrats.

Is this your new house by any chance?

hey dog,where is this motel? i know the Triumph Thunderbird TR6 motorcycle was named after the motel the Brits stayed in.
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2008, 01:37:21 PM »
A google image search says that Thunderbird is in Dodge City, Kansas, but there must be dozens of independently-owned Thunderbird motels across the country.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2008, 01:51:02 PM »
We have the Thunderbird School of Global Management here.  A "classy" joint!

:rimshot:

OVERDRIVEN66

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2008, 02:19:43 PM »
      I thought  it was you that bought that 9.9-10.0 NR sunburst IV on Ebay from a dealer in Michigan that obviously didn't know what the bass was worth. This was probably three years ago. It had a Buy it Now WAY, WAY UNDER the value of the bass.   I missed it by about ten minutes. It was damaged in shipping by the control cavity area (minor crack). Am I getting THAT freekin' old or was it sombody else here on the forum that nabbed that primo specimen?   Congrats again on your latest score! 
Former touring professional. 60's T-Birds 300 days a year on the road with an SVT. Bliss!!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2008, 04:56:48 PM »
Wasn't me Tony, wish it was ! good to see you here ! IVs ain't my thing I like IIs way better but if it was a nice BIN I would have hit it.  ;)

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2008, 11:38:15 PM »
    Am I getting THAT freekin' old or was it sombody else here on the forum that nabbed that primo specimen?   Congrats again on your latest score! 

That was me. I got it for $1900. Had to sell it last year, but got an insane price for it, so I didn't feel too bad. I wish I'd never sold that white II I had though!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2008, 07:27:44 PM »
 Well it's here ! jeeze what a mess ! someone must have loved it cause they played the crap out of it. As bad as all the mods look it sounds great. I really like the Model One with the Bill Lawrence, lots of very usable tones. The headstock has been replaced the long scarf joint and lighter wood give that away. The tuners are/were gold plated most of it worn away, odd they are the vintage style but I doubt they are original. The Badass bridge is gold plated so I suspect the tuners were replaced to match the bridge. Funny the flat base of the bridge was painted black much of it worn off. Speaking of worn off, the cast Badass II mark on the bridge is almost worn completly off, this bass was played ! Lets see what else ..................the input jack is pushed in and this bass was somewhere damp, the finish on the lower part of the body is just pushing off, this thing sat in a damp corner and the moisture just leached up. not a flood or anything and thankfully it doesn't smell ! I'm sure it started life as a II the BL in the treble position and the TB pup route don't match. We start moving 7-12 so I'll have to put a hold on working on her, I can't wait to get her straightened out.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 08:19:57 PM by godofthunder »