Author Topic: She used to be mine  (Read 4207 times)

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
She used to be mine
« on: December 15, 2012, 07:44:43 AM »
Sold on ebay a couple of months ago to make room for the new Gibson non-reverse the new owner seems to have tired of it already. I really liked this bass, but would have liked it better with standard volume and tone controls. (I do have an LB-20 that looks similar but blue). The neck on this particular bass is awesome though being a 16th of an inch thinner than the standard Carvin neck.

No regrets, no desire to buy back.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321038113996?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

The Carvins together:

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
Re: She used to be mine
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 12:43:37 PM »
Sold on ebay a couple of months ago to make room for the new Gibson non-reverse the new owner seems to have tired of it already. I really liked this bass, but would have liked it better with standard volume and tone controls. (I do have an LB-20 that looks similar but blue). The neck on this particular bass is awesome though being a 16th of an inch thinner than the standard Carvin neck.

No regrets, no desire to buy back.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321038113996?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
I have to admit I am not a fan of tone controls - single volume would work for me!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 05:10:14 PM by hieronymous »

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 12:56:10 PM »
I agree re: tone controls

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 05:12:41 PM »
Been there, done that... ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 04:46:12 AM »
All controls are useless for my pee.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

Hörnisse

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 08:22:26 AM »
Norbert Putnam (who played with Elvis and Dan Fogelberg among others) disconnected the controls on his '65 Precision as well.  I've owned a '77 P bass in the past that had this modification and it really does open up the sound.

Here is a great example of Norbert's P bass tone.

BTW, that is a cool Carvin.  I wanted one when they first came out.  Looks like the guy is asking a bit much for it though?

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 08:49:13 AM »
Yes, he is asking more than he paid for it.

Hörnisse

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 09:12:45 AM »
Ah yes, I found it and he paid $600.  He's pretty optimistic I'd say.

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 09:33:57 AM »
The Carvin Museum site pulled pictures from the auction I bought it from, they say it's from 2004.

http://www.carvinmuseum.com/ebay/ebay-basses-lbseries.html close to the bottom of the page, at one time it was the category icon.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2012, 12:43:50 PM »
He might get his starting bid.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2012, 11:36:40 PM »
... Here is a great example of Norbert's P bass tone...

Ditto...

Bought the LP (still have it) this is from back in the 70's - a big regret I have is that I never got to see Dan (rip) as he was scheduled to be supporting the Eagles on the Hotel California UK tour and had to cancel - can't remember why or who replaced him for those gigs, great as they were... NP produced this too (iirc) so probably got the best for his sound too...

Nice instruments, Mojo...

Re tone and the controls... I've always considered that "tone" is part of the players style and that the controls just get in the way... pros have to rely on the soundman so as clean a signal as possible is (imho) the best route... with the exception of my SG (guitar) none of my instruments have a tone control and most just have a single volume control, unless there is a balance issue re the output, ie a Mudbucker vs a humbucker etc...
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 11:43:17 PM by HERBIE »
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2013, 02:33:28 PM »
Norbert Putnam (who played with Elvis and Dan Fogelberg among others) disconnected the controls on his '65 Precision as well.  I've owned a '77 P bass in the past that had this modification and it really does open up the sound.

Neil Young does this with his guitars too (I think he has a defeat switch).  The added resistance of the control pots 'load' the pickups and change the freq response a bit.  Pretty common mod. 

The Les Paul Jumbo + White Falcon lovechild archtop acoustic project I am working on will not have any controls The instrument will be wired straight to jack but I will be making a floor box  with the usual Lo Z LP controls (decade switch, passive bass and treble controls and Hi/Lo Z transformer... no volume).  The tone controls will be footswitch bypassable, and the tranny will have it's own switch.

It's gonna be whiter than that (sides and back of neck will be solid black) with gold hardware to match the pups (I got the gold L5-S version vs the regular black/chrome ring version).
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Spiritbass

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2013, 06:22:45 AM »
Neil Young does this with his guitars too (I think he has a defeat switch).  The added resistance of the control pots 'load' the pickups and change the freq response a bit.  Pretty common mod. 

The Les Paul Jumbo + White Falcon lovechild archtop acoustic project I am working on will not have any controls The instrument will be wired straight to jack but I will be making a floor box  with the usual Lo Z LP controls (decade switch, passive bass and treble controls and Hi/Lo Z transformer... no volume).  The tone controls will be footswitch bypassable, and the tranny will have it's own switch.

It's gonna be whiter than that (sides and back of neck will be solid black) with gold hardware to match the pups (I got the gold L5-S version vs the regular black/chrome ring version).

Okay, you got me. What is a 'decade switch'?

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 08:33:08 AM »

LoZ version of the varitone pretty much.

The bass version didn't have it; instead it had a 3 position switch which selected the output taps to use on the pickups (underwound, normal, and hot/overwound) which is different from the guitar's 3 position tone switch.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 08:39:26 AM by Granny Gremlin »
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)